Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Got tired of buying canned air to clean my computer cases so I bought a hand held vacuum. At ~$40.00 it will soon pay for itself in saving on canned air which, around here, costs me ~$12.00 per can. My bird, a cockatiel, puts out a LOT of dander which my electronics seem to like to draw in. I have to clean out the cases pretty often especially the heat sinks for the CPU's which are massive heat pipe units. The CPU heat sinks are probably most affected as I run the systems with the side covers off.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0JA-00AZ-00051?Item=9SIAYU0F0X7930

I also like the idea of a vacuum instead of canned air as canned air just blows crud into the rest of the room where this will contain the crud through a dual HEPA filtration system. The filters are also washable. The 500 watt motor is supposed to reach a vacuum of 16KPA which is only 4KPA less than a decent full sized vacuum.. Hopefully it will not only allow me to easily clean my desktop cases but, also, get around the edges of other electronics shelves that are hard to reach without moving the equipment. I can also use it to vacuum my car. While I can't use my 100 watt power inverter that I keep in my car this unit has a 23 foot cord that should reach the building's outside outlets. Even if it does not reach I have heavy duty extension cords that would solve the problem. The .5 liter dust canister should be more than large enough to handle all my electronics and car.

It is a little bulky for a hand held computer vacuum at 2.8 pounds but it will also have other uses such as my car and cleaning around the edges of other electronics.

Since this unit was only introduced about 6 weeks ago I spent an extra $8.00 for a 4-year warranty that includes full replacement as there were no reviews to judge from. I don't normally do extended warranties but figured that with no reviews it was worth $8.00.
Attachment:
vacuumpng.png
vacuumpng.png [ 832.44 KiB | Viewed 1774 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

That's very cool. Fortunately, I can get away with blowing some air in and vacuuming the vents every once in a while as my office isn't bad as far as dust goes. My wife's PC is in the family room where the dogs live, but we have an air purifier a few feet from her PC that keeps the dust and fur sucked into the PC at a minimum. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:49 pm 

sboots wrote:
That's very cool. Fortunately, I can get away with blowing some air in and vacuuming the vents every once in a while as my office isn't bad as far as dust goes. My wife's PC is in the family room where the dogs live, but we have an air purifier a few feet from her PC that keeps the dust and fur sucked into the PC at a minimum. :-)

Sigh, while I love my bird it amazes me as to how much crud he puts in the air. Since I live in a 1-bedroom apartment with the bird cage like 8.5 feet from my main system the dust/dander buildup is dramatic. Not as bad with the side cover off the case but it is still like every month or two that I have to clean the heat sinks. I'm sure that I could go longer without cleaning but I am a strong advocate as to keeping as clean as possible. The way I see it is that heat is the biggest danger to hardware and I like to keep the systems running as cool as possible.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:51 am 
welcoming committee

Yeah... blame the bird for the crud...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:01 am 

dvair wrote:
Yeah... blame the bird for the crud...

Hey, he trained me to like the crud! :mrgreen: Actually it is pretty amazing how much 'crud' a bird puts out. :ugeek:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:43 am 

I have the usual cordless cleaners plus an attachment that has quite a number of small tubes that can be used to get into lots of places without having to move items because the tubes are small enough to pick up the dust not the items.

I also have a small vacuum that plugs into a USB point and as I only have 2 laptops now I don't need something to get inside a tower computer.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:03 pm 

Joan, I hope that you still run a vacuum over the laptop vents and the fan's exhaust port. Just because it is a laptop does not mean that it does not still get dust inside.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:00 pm 

I do still use it on the laptops Jay so no worries there. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:06 pm 

Vacuum showed up today and works quite well. Even comes apart easily for cleaning. I didn't realize when I ordered but the flat nozzle has a pivoting brush so it can be used straight or with the brush so it is actually two attachments in one.

<edit>
The flip over brush on the flat nozzle DOES make a difference. I cleaned my CPU heat sink without the brush then cleaned out the canister. Then I did again with the brush and it did get some more dust that the brush loosened by getting between the fins. I'm happy. :)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion