Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The U.S.A. is looking good on the medal count, actually leading. As to total medals they are tied with China for total medals but have more golds. I don't know exactly how they score things but, right now, the U.S.A. is in the lead overall.

Ya, I know, most of the competitions are an individual against another but it is nice to see the U.S.A., overall, doing well.

Sorry Joan but your guys are #5 in the medal count right now but, with upcoming events, that could rapidly change.

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised as to new events such as women's fast pitch softball and air rifle targeting. I know that shooting has been included in the Olympics for years but I remember it in the Winter Olympics involved with cross country skiing and using gun powder rifles. I don't remember women's fast pitch softball being included at all.

I will relate that air rifles are not what most people think. Most think of them as a glorified BB gun which is not true. Many years ago I used to rabbit hunt with an air rifle. The rifle I used does not even come close to what is being used in the Olympics but still had a 'riffled barrel' with the groves in the barrel to give the pellet spin for truer accuracy. A decent air rifle also has a much higher muzzle velocity and impact force. The mid level air rifle I used could punch a hole through both sides of a galvanized garbage can. These things are not toys and only slightly smaller than a common .22 caliber rifle with the pellets being .177 caliber.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:33 am 
Site Admin

I'm not a TV watcher at all. I have been keeping up a little on the status of the Olympics via news articles, though. My wife watches them a little, but her interest in in the women's gymnastics events. I do find some of the "sports" to be rather odd, but I believe that there have always been some odd competitions in the Olympics throughout history.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am 

I'm not watching them, I have no interest in sport and since I lost my hubby I don't have to have the TV showing sport all the time, although it was mainly the cycling he watched. A lot of the time the TV is on just for the background noise as I'm busy in another room or busy on the computer and just occasionally glance at the TV.

I do see accounts of what is going on sometimes via the news and know that at this stage of the games we are doing well with regards to our medal tally. If I had to watch any sport it would be anything to do with the horses.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 pm 

What a story as the U.S. girls continue dominance in the individual gymnastics all-around. After Simone Biles dropped out the US wasn't really given much of a chance.

Enter Suni Lee! She needed a score of 13.46 in the floor exercise to take over the lead and punched a 13.7 winning the gold.

While I'm happy for Suni Lee I feel bad for the Brazilian competitor. She was near perfect on the floor exercises in the preliminaries but stepped out of bounds twice in the finals. No one can know what the result would have been if the Brazilian had not stepped out of bounds but, if you read the following story, you can't help but be happy for Lee. :) She lost 2 family members due to Covid and her father was paralyzed from the waist down yet she had the guts to still go out there and do it. :o
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/suni-lee-us-gymnast-wins-olympic-all-around-after-injuries-tragedies-and-a-horrific-accident/ar-AAMIlcr?ocid=uxbndlbing

Lee's forte seems to be the uneven parallel bars performing what is considered the most difficult performance ever in the world scoring an amazing 15.3 score. Uneven bars is one of my favorite events. You should check this out! Not the entire routine but pretty amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHyh22HUAQ

BTW, here is her winning floor exercise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qn49CBmd9M

As another 'BTW'... The U.S.A. now leads the medal count by 8 leading Chine 41 to 33. :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 pm 

The Olympics are over and the U.S.A. did awesome winning the medal count by 25 medals including the most golds. I don't really think of the Olympics as one country winning over another as it is all about the individual athletes but I can't help but feel proud about the job done by our group of athletes. :)

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion