Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry to keep adding info that most probably couldn't care less but I'm excited a bit. ;)

I said that I might add true surround sound but apparently this TV already has that covered and will pair with Bluetooth surround speakers. Still don't know that I'll go true surround but it was nice to find the Bluetooth option. :) Even though I don't consider it true surround sound my Yamaha system sounds really good and I have a surround sound headset.

I think my biggest decision is what screen does what. I think it likely that the LG will be the main TV and media display with the Hisense Roku being the main computer display. With that default setup there is a disadvantage as the Hisense Roku has many more streaming channels available, many of which are free, but the LG is probably going to have a better display. Since the LG will sit on top of my Yamaha sound the two would match better for movies and such as the sound would be more central to the display. I'll just have to experiment to see what works best. In any case both will be able to be used either way.

One thing I need to check is if channels done through Roku can be viewed in a web browser. That would be ideal as I could then just open a browser on the Hisense and drag the browser to the LG. Same with my local movie library; just open Power DVD on the Hisense and drag to the LG. That is basically what I have been doing anyway. The difference is that I had to watch movies and TV on my 32 inch with the dead LG displaying computer if I wanted both. With my distance from the screens the 32 inch was just not large enough to work well as the computer display. The 43 inch Hisense would alleviate the size issue. Doing movies on the 32 inch was never any real issue but the sound tended to seem to be off center from the display simply because it was. :ugeek:

Media is one of the reasons that I like my video card. Almost all of my movies are in DVD format which would not take advantage of the new sets' 4K displays. My Radeon R9 380 series Nitro video will virtually re-encode the video for a 4K display on the fly.

Spoke with the lady I used to work with that is going to get the 32 inch Emerson that is currently in my bedroom and she is all excited; especially when I told her she would be able to connect a DVD player via HDMI. The 32 inch Sanyo that is currently in my living room will move to my bedroom.

Sorry, just anxious and rambling... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:54 pm 

OMG!!!!

This thing is HUGE! Everything is set up and working well. :) To give an idea the picture frame directly under the clock a 17X20. Left screen is 43 inch and the right screen is 55 inch. The new 55 inch defaults to a resolution of 3840X2160 with the DPI at 300%. So far all seems well at the defaults. :)

<edit>
I'm seeing some display quirks that MAY be due to the high resolution on the 55 inch LG when I go to play a game on the 43 inch. It wants to overlap to the 55 inch. I'm sure that it is just a matter of 'balancing' the displays. So far I've done nothing. I THINK this MAY be caused by the DPI on the 55 inch being at 300%. I'm just watching stuff right now but one of the first things I'll do is to drop the DPI% on the 55 inch. Since the 55 inch is not intended to be used as a computer monitor except for watching movies I don't really see need for the 300% DPI. The 43 inch display is the primary computer display. I'm sure that I'll get it all worked out but, for the moment, I'm just watching stuff. For instance I already know that I need to do a minor adjustment as to HDMI scaling on the 55 inch. At the moment I'm streaming a baseball game on the 55 inch and it is totally awesome!

Attachment:
IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2151.JPG [ 136.25 KiB | Viewed 1161 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Amazing! I think I need a larger monitor. I currently use 2 side by side 23 inch HP monitors on my desk.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm 

sboots wrote:
Amazing! I think I need a larger monitor. I currently use 2 side by side 23 inch HP monitors on my desk.

DANG! I can't even deal with a 32 inch screen for a computer display but I DO sit ~8.5 feet from the screens...

Haven't tried my surround sound head set with the new TV yet but have a pretty strong feeling that I will be lost. :rofl2: The 4K display is just totally amazing and that is just straight out of the box with no video adjustments yet being made.I have to also say that I have come to really appreciate my video card as it will re-encode DVD format to 4K on the fly.
<edit>
Tried the headset and it really makes it all totally immersive. The whole deal is totally amazing!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:22 pm 

Actually my LG display got better after I remembered to enable HDR (High Dynamic Range). I swear that it doesn't look like a TV. It looks real.

Quote:
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and offers an even better viewing experience than standard 4K. This is because HDR makes images with widely varying lights and darks look much better on your screen. HDR doesn't add extra pixels to content but does make content look far richer and more realistic.

I've also never seen a remote like this. It actually can use a "mouse pointer" with the pointer movement controlled by just moving the remote. I have no idea how they are detecting the movement of the remote.

On the downside I have lost having some of my old games displaying full panel. They are all back to a square display like a CRT. Not a big deal but I'd prefer full panel on some.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 pm 

Figured that I'd update things. I figure that no one really cares but someone may read and find useful.

My old games are back to full panel. I think that is due to a new video card that is better able to handle the 4K displays.

As to the new video card my Sapphire R9 380 series Nitro 4GB GDDR5 is now in my second system and the new one for my main is a Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Eagle with 12GB of GDDR6. Not only is my display for movies better but my video encoding and conversions have dropped in time taken my ~30%. The improvement in movie display is probably due to the new card being 8K which easily handles my 4K displays. The old Sapphire did 4K but it was a virtual 4K, not real. I am glad that I got a 900 watt power supply when I built my current main system even though, initially, it was a bit over kill. Considering that the new video card is rated at 270 watt and there are 6 hard drives (3 SSD) and a TV tuner along with the CPU being 125 watt I'm glad that I went 900 watt on the power supply. I'm sure that a 700-750 watt power supply would actually be fine but I don't like to stress my power supplies. I was a little surprised by the auxiliary power connections on the new video card. My old card uses 2-6 pin connections but the new one uses a 6 and 8 pin connection.

Still haven't figured out how the LG 55 inch TV remote controls a mouse pointer but it does it pretty well. I haven't searched it in depth but haven't really found anything that actually defines how it works. I sort of wonder it it may have some sort of 'gimbal' mechanism sort of acting like a track ball. The reason I suspect that this MAY be the case is that when I hit home or source on the remote the mouse is active but as soon as I press an arrow key the mouse pointer is gone however shaking the remote brings back the mouse pointer. This could easily be done by detecting rapid movement of a gimbal.

I've started playing a bit with the voice recognition on the LG set but not much. For instance I can press the mic button on the remote and say "LG off" and it will turn off the set... easier to just press the power button but it DOES have other abilities such as changing sources and such. Actually the danged thing has Google Assist built in. Actually I just tried something and it worked. I can use the remote to do voice searches totally unrelated to the TV. It found the local bowling alley. It uses a Linux based Web OS and a 4-core CPU to do this stuff.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion