Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 pm 
welcoming committee

I always wanted one of these but for various reasons i never did buy one, when i got around to buying one some time ago i found that lego had discontinued the product line. :cry:

I don't know when lego started to sell it again, i was reading an article today about LEGO's "new" Space Shuttle Discovery model and thought 'oh that might be fun to do as part of my convalescence'...

Anyways, i had a look around the official LEGO website and to my surprise the Saturn V rocket is available again :D
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/lego-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-92176

I jumped at the chance and immediately ordered one, the instruction manual looks a bit daunting (available for download on the website) but this isn't meant to be quick, it's more about retraining my mind to focus and concentrate again. Besides, being lego, if i make a mistake i can start again :D

Attachments:
Saturn V.jpg
Saturn V.jpg [ 167.39 KiB | Viewed 1652 times ]
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Not going to run out and get one but that actually looks pretty cool. :)

It is really sort of amazing as to what Lego has done in relation to kits. They even have robotics kits. Not specifically Lego but I've looked at some robotics kits but they seem to either be for young kids or are very expensive.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:23 pm 
welcoming committee

The price of some of these kits is off the scale, take for instance this Millennium Falcon by Lego:
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/millennium-falcon-75192

Yes there 7,541 pieces, but at £649.99 GBP, roughly about $900 USD by todays exchange rate... they should be made of precious metals to justify that price! :shock: :lol:

When i last looked a few years ago at buying the Saturn V Rocket the only place you could find them was on Ebay and they were selling for many hundreds of £'s, at least Lego are being more reasonable at £109.99 (inc shipping + taxes) for the Saturn V now :)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm 
welcoming committee

There is also the problem of where i'm going to display this 1 meter (39") tall (or long) object for display, i guess i'll cross that bridge if i ever manage to build it! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:40 pm 

LOL! At a bit over $900.00 USD I'm not likely to be buying a Millennium Falcon by Lego! Besides I'm more Star Trek than Star Wars. :mrgreen: At least it is a large model at a bit under 3X2 feet length and width and 8 inches tall. I've seen kits for the Star Trek's Enterprise at much higher prices that even includes lighting.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:41 pm 

Doddie wrote:
There is also the problem of where i'm going to display this 1 meter (39") tall (or long) object for display, i guess i'll cross that bridge if i ever manage to build it! :rofl2:

Hang it from a ceiling. :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Im actually thinking that because we have a corner cabinet that has glass shelves backed by mirrors that i could take two shelves to a glazier and ask them to remove circles from two of the shelves so that the rocket could sit upright through the shelves... i think it would look really cool and fit in with what we already have in the cabinet.... mostly holiday memoribilia from our visits to Canada, along with her die-cast fantasy figures and a die-cast fantasy chess set that belonged to her late father.

A lot will depend on what my wife thinks of the finished project, she's a huge trekkie and sci-fi geek, she didn't bat an eyelid when i told her i'd ordered the Saturn V rocket, indeed she had that twinkle in her eye that suggested i might have made a good decision.... time will tell, but the ceiling might be where it ends up ;)

There is always the option to break it down into the thruster parts and display it that way, but to me that would be criminal.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm 

LOL! I remember being in my late teens with a little sister 13 years younger. I built a balsa wood sail plane with a 7 foot wingspan. I was going to hang it from my bedroom ceiling after the first flight but my little sister got her hands on it and it became kindling. ;) At least I got to fly it once and it stayed in the air for close to half an hour.

In my teens I REALLY got into large models. Yep, I'm sure that you have seen the 1/4 scale model of a V-8 engine. Built one of those and it actually functioned. Still my most involved was probably a red Jag. Can't remember the scale but it was over 2 feet long. This thing was so realistic that it even had spark plug wires and fully operational crank door windows and steering. Oh, the brakes were also functional.

I also built other balsa wood planes but never radio controlled. While I built a couple of nice models I just could not really get into flying something on the end of a couple of strings. Ya, with a wired plane, you can do loops and stuff but the bottom line is that you are just going in a circle... boring.

I would LOVE to do a nice drone, plane or copter but really can't. Being blind in one eye I don't have the same depth perception as do you. I DO have depth perception but it just does not work the same as stereoscopic depth that is normal with two eyes. I tried a cheap drone several years ago and just could not really follow it's position. Mayhaps the issue was that it was due to the lack of true depth perception. Mayhaps it was just due to it being a cheap $70.00 unit. I'm thinking about trying another drone but REALLY have to do some thinking. Shoot, I can get a drone that I can control from a tablet PC by just using my finger to trace a route. Setting a per-determined route isn't exactly flying but would give my photography a totally different aspect. I have a 'slush fund' set up for doing a new build but have, pretty much, decided that I'm not doing the new build as there is really no need. My 'slush fund' is currently at $2100.00 USD. Doubt that I'll actually do it but I could get one heck of a drone for that money... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Sisters are an odd beast, there have been many times i wanted to reduce her to a burning pile of balsawood but as a brother something always seems to stop me! :rofl2:

She's doing my head in now, after years of silence she phones me every night to ask how i'm doing... i really wish she would stop and let me get on but for some odd reason i can't do that to her, damn sister! :rofl2:

That said, in this time of crisis, i am happy she is there for me and wouldn't change it for the world :D

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion