Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
No one will be interested in this but I think it's a neat little gizmo if it works. :mrgreen:

I think it probably known that I like to cook. In fact a lot of times I cook a bunch then bag and freeze... cook once, eat often. :) In fact I have my 2 gallon slow cooker filled to the brim with sketti sauce right now. Problem is that doing the bagging is a pain. Not easy to try to hold open a freezer bag and scoop stuff in. Tends to get a bit messy at times.

So I went looking and found a little unit that holds open a storage bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WXKM212/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If it works great, if not I'm not out much. :)
Attachment:
bag holder.jpg
bag holder.jpg [ 14.12 KiB | Viewed 2651 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

It looks like it will certainly make filling a bag much easier! Yes, gizmos are cool. :-D

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:41 pm 

sboots wrote:
It looks like it will certainly make filling a bag much easier! Yes, gizmos are cool. :-D

And, sometimes, these gizmos actually work. I don't often do eggs but do like hard boiled for slicing in a salad or an egg salad sammich but I hate peeling. Several years ago I spent like $2.50 for a little thing that you put in a little water, screw on the end and shake. It actually works and the egg shell just about falls off. You just never know. :) Of course since I just ordered this gizmo this evening, and it won't show until at least 5 days, I'd normally already have the sketti sauce I'll bag and freeze done but I may just put the sauce in a few larger plastic containers and freeze. When the thing arrives I can just thaw and heat the sauce again to try the bag holder thingy. I always bag what I'm bagging close to hot removing as much air as I can. Pretty much ends up like vacuum bagging when it cools.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:49 pm 
welcoming committee

The older I get, the more gizmos I get........

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:23 pm 

That looks pretty neat Jay and I love gadgets. I'd definitely say it would work just looking at it, but it's not something I'd need these days as I don't do the cooking now that would warrant such a gizmo. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:29 pm 

Haven't tried it yet but the thing arrived just a bit ago. I was surprised in that I thought I was getting one but received two.

Just got back from grocery shopping and got the fixings for 2 gallons of chili. Between that, and the sketti sauce I still need to bag, the gizmos will get a good test. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

My latest gizmo is the Amazon 'Echo Show' device. It is an artificial intelligent device with the Alexa talking ability.....fun, informative, and educational.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just got back from grocery shopping and got the fixings for 2 gallons of chili.

TWO GALLONS???? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:04 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:
Just got back from grocery shopping and got the fixings for 2 gallons of chili.

TWO GALLONS???? :rofl2:

Two gallons is why I wanted the gizmo. Such things as sketti sauce, chili and stews I do in my 2 gallon crock pot then bag and freeze which is why I also have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer. I cook once and eat often. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:28 pm 

bbarry wrote:
My latest gizmo is the Amazon 'Echo Show' device. It is an artificial intelligent device with the Alexa talking ability.....fun, informative, and educational.

Sounds interesting! :) I'd like to get a virtual headset but haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to how well one will work when blind in one eye. Supposedly they will work but with the same peripheral vision loss as in the real world.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Walmart sells virtual headsets. Perhaps you could try one in the store. Or maybe at a Best Buy or someplace like that.

Walmart also has a very fair and liberal return policy (for any reason). So if they don't have one in the store for you to try, you could order one and then return it if it didn't work in your situation.

The main reason I got the Amazon Echo Show is so I can reboot my security cameras from my desk rather than having to go outside and unplug/re-plug them (that's the way you reboot these cameras). But now I'm also using it to control lamps around my house (the lamps do require special bulbs or wall plugs to work with the Echo Show).

And lastly, to be able to instantly listen to any song that Amazon has in their 2 million song library is neat.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:29 pm 

I don't have any device such as Amazon Echo Show or others. Quite a while back I did do some research on the things though. Don't know if it is the same today but it used to be that automatic firmware updates were one of the larger security risks. At least at that time it was generally recommended to turn off automatic firmware updates if possible. The "bad guys" would put out infections that were disguised as such updates.

As far as trying a headset Walmart would be my only option and I've never thought of looking to see if there are any 'display models' when I go in. I don't really like shopping so I'm sort of in and out as quickly as I can. If I don't write it down it normally doesn't happen. ;) Sigh, even my lists don't always work. Take getting the chili stuff today. On my list I just put down "chili stuff". This made for a second trip to get the tomato sauce which I forgot on the first trip. :dunno:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
On my list I just put down "chili stuff". This made for a second trip to get the tomato sauce which I forgot on the first trip. :dunno:

LOL! :-D

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:10 pm 

sboots wrote:
jaylach wrote:
On my list I just put down "chili stuff". This made for a second trip to get the tomato sauce which I forgot on the first trip. :dunno:

LOL! :-D

At least the grocery store is close by... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, if you are a sincere buyer and assuming the virtual headset works to your satisfaction, I personally see nothing wrong with you ordering one online. Then if it works for you, you keep it and Walmart keeps your money. If it doesn't work, then you return it in like-new condition and Walmart returns your money.

When I started my hobby of videoing the animal life around my home, I didn't know much about infrared trail cameras. But I found an online camera store that gave a 90 day trial period in which you were encouraged to actually use the camera....take it out of the box and put it out in the field and actually use it. If for whatever reason you did not like the camera, return it with no questions asked. That philosophy made a good customer out of me. Over the next 8 or 9 years, I purchased about 20 cameras from them. I still have 16 of their cameras. I returned 3 cameras for credit toward another camera that I liked, and I returned 4 of them for a refund.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion