Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm 
welcoming committee

I think i've mentioned Inchcolm Island before?

In case i haven't it's one of the truly great hidden gems of Edinburgh, an island accessible only by ferry from South Queensferry, about 10 miles from Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth.

Anyway, the 'Maid of the Forth' have uploaded a new video since the UK lockdown in March giving more detail... i've sailed with them to the island four times and i cannot express enough how much i love the place and the experience on their boat... i'm amazed i only found out about it 3-4 years ago.
(There is another company that sails to Inchcolm Island but i don't rate their experience as highly, make up your own mind if you're lucky enough to visit and try both.)

Fwiw, on certain sailings there is a tour guide option carried out by a bona fide Canon from a monestary to the south of Edinburgh, i'd highly recommend booking one of those sailings because he not only talks about the history of the island monestary, but also about the napoloenic history along with the history of both world wars that the island played a part in of the defence of Rosyth dockyard.

It's a fascinating and beautiful place that is never overcrowded due to Historic Scotland limiting the number of people allowed to land on the island at any one time.

https://youtu.be/xBwHgaCy0Ro

cf. I hope this doesn't come across as advertising, i just love and want to share a great experience...
https://www.maidoftheforth.co.uk/

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion