Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Firefox 60 to Show Sponsored Content for US Users
Quote:
Mozilla announced this week plans to show sponsored content to US users starting with the release of Firefox 60.

The sponsored content will appear as suggested stories inside Firefox New Tab page. The stories will be pulled from Pocket's recommendation list.

The Mozilla Foundation acquired Pocket (formerly known as Read It Later), a service for managing article reading lists, in February 2017.

Mozilla has been testing sponsored content in Firefox Nightly and Beta versions for a few months.

Mozilla Blog Post: A Privacy-Conscious Approach to Sponsored Content - Future Releases

I got fed up with Firefox after the "Rapid Release" program started. It seemed they were too busy making changes for the sake of change so switched to Pale Moon. But this seems just a bit over the top to me.

I do use Microsoft Edge too but there are certain add-ons that I depend on that work in Pale Moon.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Ya, FF bothers me too but mostly just due my 'liking the feel' of IE more than FF. I'm not so sure that FF starting to put up sponsored content on a new tab being opened bothers me or not. Shoot, I have a new tab in IE set to do the same... I guess it all depends on the sponsored content put up.

I DO use FF for a lot of my streaming media as I run dual screens and IE has streaming issues if I have some older games on another monitor.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:20 am 
welcoming committee

via a friend at another forum:

Quote:
It does say this
Control. If you see a story you’re not a fan of, you can hide it. Or you can disable sponsored content altogether.
Then it points you to this page
https://help.getpocket.com/article/1142 ... redstories

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:18 pm 

I used Firefox for awhile, then switched to Chrome but now just use Edge as it does everything I want. I do get emails from Pocket showing different articles to read but so far I just give them a quick look, I've never yet told it to save to Pocket.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Corrine (or anyone) - When you provide a quote as you did twice above, how do you get it 'boxed in' with the word Quote appearing in the blue banner?

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:52 pm 

At the bottom of a post message on the right hand side are the buttons, Edit, Quote and there is a Delete button but that one may only show is you're a Moderator. Just click on the Quote button.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:59 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
At the bottom of a post message on the right hand side are the buttons, Edit, Quote and there is a Delete button but that one may only show is you're a Moderator. Just click on the Quote button.

Thanks Joan, I did not know that. I often use the Quote button when I want to quote and respond to a previous post, like I just did here for your post. I just never used it to then type in a quote from someplace else. It's like I just told Steve....I learn something new every day, lol.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:40 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
When doing a quote from somewhere else go to the full editor and select the 'Quote' function and past the text between the open and close commands.
Code:
[quote]Insert text[/quote]

The result would be as follows.
Quote:
Insert text

You can also add a name for where the quote originated as follows.
Code:
[quote="Microsoft"]insert text[/quote]

The result would be the following.
Microsoft wrote:
insert text

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. That's just something I had never done, so I was not familiar with the process. I have pasted quoted text before, and I always tried to give reference to its source.....but I never knew to use the actual Quote button for something like that.

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:
I got fed up with Firefox after the "Rapid Release" program started. It seemed they were too busy making changes for the sake of change so switched to Pale Moon.

Thank you for reminding me to have another look at Pale Moon, I'd previously looked at their website some months ago after someone else here mentioned it (i forget who) and i liked what i saw but i never did get around to downloading and installing the browser.

I've done that tonight and so far I'm loving what i see... early days but it feels like what FF and IE11 ought to have been aiming for all along (at least on Win7).

FF and IE11 have in their own ways been driving me nuts for seemingly simple things that neither of them could or would cancel out to make their product more attractive over the other...
FF appear to have dropped default support for a Status Bar, presumably it's now an 'add-on'?, whereas it used to be a drag and drop from the customise options?
IE11 and that damned needless search box on the address bar, or tabs at the end of the address bar if the search box is removed.

IE11 is anything but seemless these days on Win7, so many websites that i regularly use have issues with rendering or not correctly loading that it's hard to believe IE11 IS actually still a supported browser on a still supported Microsoft OS.

Corrine, I'm with you 100% that Mozilla seem to only be making changes for changes sake with FF.

Anyways, i'll stop ranting and thank you again, still trying to customise the look and feel of Pale Moon but even after 20 minutes of fumbling and reading what i have now is head and shoulders above both IE11 and FF and from what I've read so far everything i want and need should be achievable :)
[I have a Status Bar, and have at least for the time being reduced the annoying Search box to a minimum until i work out how to remove it altogether, all indications appear to point to this is possible (i just need to work out how lol.)]

To close, i like my browser simple with as much surface area visible as possible while retaining functionality and information about what's happening in the background, so far this is a very good start.

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Oh dear, Amazon Prime Video won't play on Pale Moon, it apparently requires a later version of Firefox to enable playback, i had such hope but this is a deal breaker :(

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 am 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Thanks Joan, I did not know that. I often use the Quote button when I want to quote and respond to a previous post, like I just did here for your post. I just never used it to then type in a quote from someplace else. It's like I just told Steve....I learn something new every day, lol.

I'll often just type the appropriate BBCode, especially if I'm creating a long topic/reply with instructions for someone I'm helping. I also have an extension I've used for years, BBCodeXtra – Add-ons for Firefox which works on Pale Moon but not the current version of Firefox.

Doddie wrote:
[I have a Status Bar, and have at least for the time being reduced the annoying Search box to a minimum until i work out how to remove it altogether, all indications appear to point to this is possible (i just need to work out how lol.)]

Just right-click in an open space on the Toolbar and select Customize. Then drag the search box into the "Customize Toolbar" box that pops up when customizing.

Doddie wrote:
Oh dear, Amazon Prime Video won't play on Pale Moon, it apparently requires a later version of Firefox to enable playback, i had such hope but this is a deal breaker :(

You're right about Pale Moon and Amazon Prime Video. Since I run Insider Builds on my old desktop, I have been using Microsoft Edge for Prime Videos and didn't even have Silverlight installed. After installing it, even disabling hardware acceleration didn't allow Silverlight to work on Pale Moon, which is seen as Firefox 27.9 and Prime Video requires Firefox Version 53 or higher. It won't even on Firefox ESR until Version 60 of ESR is released.

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:
You're right about Pale Moon and Amazon Prime Video. Since I run Insider Builds on my old desktop, I have been using Microsoft Edge for Prime Videos and didn't even have Silverlight installed. After installing it, even disabling hardware acceleration didn't allow Silverlight to work on Pale Moon, which is seen as Firefox 27.9 and Prime Video requires Firefox Version 53 or higher. It won't even on Firefox ESR until Version 60 of ESR is released.

Such a shame that something as simple as one website (in my case) should let this browser down so badly, i hadn't researched this issue until tonight but from what i can see this has been a long running issue with Amazon Prime on Pale Moon.. all the more strange is that other HTML5 and/or Silverlight based sites appear not to have the same issue?

Anyways, as a Win 7 user locked out of Edge by Microsoft i hope that one day Pale Moon get their act together and support whatever means are required for Amazon Prime Video playback within Win 7... i really like what i see otherwise and it would be a real shame if they don't/can't.

As an aside I'm struggling to work out why an 'ESR' (Extended Support Release?) version "60" should make a difference given that i just updated Firefox today to version 60.0?

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Regarding Firefox ESR, although ESR version 60 is available, version 52 was just updated to 52.8 on Wednesday and still supports legacy Add-Ons. ESR version 60 doesn't support the legacy Add-ons. According to the Firefox Release Calendar, only ESR 60 will be supported as of the September release date. However, as Firefox continues to move o to version s 61, 62, etc. ESR will stay at version 60.

Board index » Our Community » General Discussion