Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post subject: Lost half my network
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm at a loss though I've always said that networking is not my forte.

Problem:
I have lost access through my network to my second system from my primary system. There is no issue accessing my primary system from the second but, If I try to access my second from the first, I get an access denied error.

I have tried everything I see on the net to fix this but nothing is working. The issue started after I did an update for GoodSync which is the program I use to sync the two systems as to data and media. OK, so a bad update. I restored a system image on the main to before the GoodSync update but the issue is still there. I don't get that at all...

I have gone as far as to re-do permissions on the second system as to shared access and the issue is still there. I have even gone as far as to turn off password protection for the share and still get the access denied error.

The REALLY odd fact is that I have no issue accessing the second system from the main if I just go to the system name; even shows the shared folders and drives. Yet, if I click on any of the folders/drives, I get the access denied error.

I cannot think of anything else that I've done to the system but the GoodSync update. Still, even if a bad update, the system image restore should have fixed.

Since the second system sync is to make media and data a clone of the main system this is not a super huge issue but is inconvenient as I would have to do the sync manually (drag and drop from the main system to the second using the second.) instead of automated.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure it wasn't GoodSync, but a networking problem in Windows. Are both machines on Windows 10?
I was going to suggest recreating the share on the secondary system -- did you first remove those shares?
I presume that the problem happens in both Windows Explorer and via Goodsync.
A workaround, for now, would be to install Goodsync on the secondary PC and set it up to sync from the primary PC since you said that it can access the Shares on the primary...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:17 pm 

I didn't remove the old shares but tried creating new ones.

Yes, both machines are Win 10 Pro.

Yes, both Explorer and GoodSync.

I thought about installing GoodSync on the secomd system but have not yet done so.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

First step -- check network properties on machine 2. Is it a private network and is file and printer sharing enabled?
Next step would be to remove the shares, then create them again. Verify that you can connect via Explorer. If yes, proceed to reconfigure Goodsync.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 pm 

I already checked system #2 and it is private with printer and file sharing enabled. This is the same as to settings between both systems. Also Network Discovery is enabled on both systems.

What is odd to me is the fact that I can access the root of the network from system 1 on system 2 and it even displays the shares. The access denied appears when I try to open one of the actual drives.

I will try totally removing the shares on system 2 and re-doing probably tomorrow. I have already tried creating a new share without success but I did not remove the old share first.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Seeing the available shares is normal since network discovery is on. The access denied suggests a permissions problem on the 2nd system.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 am 

I have permissions set to full access on the folders/drives in question.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

I realize that, but it would appear something may be wrong internally, despite how you have them set. :-(
Very, very frustrating when it happens.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:40 pm 

Sigh, never mind...

I tried accessing the second system ( \\jay-br\ ) from the first again and all is now well. The specific shares ( \\jay-br\data-br\ and \\jay-br\media 1-br\ ) are also good to go. :dunno:

When I attempted access it threw up a dialog asking for user name and password and everything was cool. GoodSync is also good to go even after re-doing the update. Previously it only threw up a dialog for the password and would then refuse the password ( Did not always ask for a password ). Same password I just used. I'm at a total loss as to what was going on but alls well that ends well as they say. ;)

Good thing that I live in a third floor apartment. When I throw all the systems out the window they should crash pretty well. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'll simply refer you to my trademark signature line. I've had similar experiences with permissions that caused great consternation before mysteriously resolving... :-P

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:41 pm 

I hear you Steve. ;) I sort of wonder if it could actually been a glitch with my router. I have the router set to re-boot every night in the wee hours. Mayhaps after a few nightly re-boots it resolved its own issue.

I also want to thank you, Steve, for your thoughts and advice. :)

The bedroom system ( \\jay-br ) really is for backup and media. I clone my main system data to the bedroom system as a backup as I don't do any work on the thing. The sync for \\jay-br\media1-br is a clone of my main system media drive. This serves as a backup and let's me watch movies laying down. I could just access movies on the main system from the bedroom but why when they are on both systems? ;) I have GoodSync set for backup. If I remove a data or media file on the main it is deleted from the second system when I do a sync. GoodSync does a great job of keeping drives cloned.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 pm 
welcoming committee

It's the way computers are. I did an update of new Insider build this afternoon, after done updating I had no icons for any of the programs that I had installed on the system. Rebooted and they were right back where they belonged.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, your problem is/was that the spell checker on your 2nd system went bonkers and didn't catch your misspelling of 'half'. This would de-sync any coupled network components. Even I know that, and spelling is not my forte.

Seriously, though..you and Steve keep bouncing around possible network anomalies, and here I sit waiting for the next snowfall photos you promised. Priorities, Jay, priorities. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:26 pm 

Ya, I noticed the miss-spelling after the fact. I almost went back to edit but Steve had already posted and I don't like editing another's post unless actually needed. I would have to edit every post to fix throughout the thread. I DID edit the topic title on the first post.

LOL! It will have to snow again for more snow pics... :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Lost half my network
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm 

Here ya go BB. ;) It's old but is snow. Do you like mountains?

Attachment:
IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG [ 143.09 KiB | Viewed 14173 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. Yes I love mountains. I live in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, but compared to your area these would be called 'hills'. Last night we had 5" of rain.....had that been snow, it would have equated to ~ 50" of snow. The most snow I have ever had where I currently live is 9", but normally our snow falls are around 4".

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 pm 

Sigh, lost my network again but it is now back up. I always state that networking is not my forte but I seem to have isolated what is going on. I just really don't know if the following is or is not a normal thing.

Normally both systems are on 24/7 but now and then I DO shut down the second system. It now seems that, if I do a total shut down on the second system, I have to re-boot the main system to get the network enabled. Oddly a total shut down of the main system does not affect the network if the second system is left on. It is only if I do a shut down of the second system. This does not happen if I just do a re-boot of the second system, only on a total shut down. Both systems report as clean after full security scans.

When I had the initial issue I did re-boots on both systems but, apparently, not in the right order.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Admin

*Very* odd behavior.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:16 pm 

sboots wrote:
*Very* odd behavior.

I had a hunch you might say something like that. ;) Sad thing is that I can't duplicate on a regular basis. Always a pain when something is intermittent. I mean the previous time I had the issue was a month ago. Of course the issue could have come up without my noticing as I'd only notice if I got a failure syncing the two systems.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 pm 
welcoming committee

I’m on an iPad, so I can’t really tinker much. But have you seen this page: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-shar ... windows-10

Just something to try. Seems pretty thorough.

Truck driver

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 pm 

Thanks Eric, I'll take one thing at a time.

1) Using OneDrive to sync is not an option as I'm a media junkie. While I DO have Office 365 which includes 1 TB of OneDrive storage that just is not enough space. I sync a potential of 10 TB of media files. Right now I'm at 4.33 used space on my first media drives on a 6 TB drive. I also have 4 TB drives in each system which are not in use. I use GoodSync to clone the media drives from the main system to the second.

2) The Bluetooth option for near devices is not an option since, while the main system does, the second system does not have Bluetooth.

3) As to setting up the folder shares (actually entire drives) what I have set up seems to match your linked article. Both systems are Windows 10.

4) I have sort of wondered it the intermittent issue could possibly involve my router. I have a Belkin AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router. I have it set to 'self heal' where it re-boots itself nightly. I wonder if this could be a factor. I DID just 'visit' my router to get the exact model number and saw that there is a firmware update now available. I think that I shall apply the update. BTW, both the main and second systems along with a laptop are connected to the router wired. The only wireless device connected is my Android tablet.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:07 am 
welcoming committee

Jay I have experienced this a couple times over the last year. I even posted and asked about it here. What I have found out is that both systems have to be under the same discovery method. With the new Windows 10 that would be WSD. You change this protocol by typing Windows Features in the search bar (lower left task bar). Scroll down to SMB 1.0 and uncheck the box if it's checked. Put a check in the SMB Direct box if it's empty. You may also have to to do a network reset in the Windows Settings>Network & Internet category on both computers. After that you will go into the Advanced Network File Sharing menu and check the appropriate content and printer to be shared just like before. So far everything has been good since July.

If your system is back to normal just keep this in mind if it happens again.

Attachments:
File comment: This is three different pictures, a partial File Explorer window, Windows Settings and Windows Features.
File Sharing Help.png
File Sharing Help.png [ 240.44 KiB | Viewed 13972 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:19 am 

Thanks Terry. :)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:50 pm 
welcoming committee

You're welcome Jay. Sorry I didn't see this topic sooner. I hope this helps. The network sharing has been very glitchy all year. I think all the updates with all the new security protocols affected everything. During this year MS did away with Homegroup. Now we have to share directly through our Network settings. I suppose it's easier once everything is on the same page.

Here is the link to my earlier topic about Network Issues!
http://www.computerhaven.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1785

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks