Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:42 pm 
welcoming committee

I live out in the boonies where I am using a slow DSL service - 4.0 Mbps download and only 0.9 Mbps upload. I would like to install a few wireless IP cameras for watching wildlife around my property. Most IP cameras advertise that a minimum of 1.0 Mbps upload is required for each standard definition camera (and 2.5 Mbps for high definition).

But if my wireless cameras stay within the 150' range of my router, will I be able to use a couple of these IP cameras without having to access the internet at my slow speeds? I don't plan on trying to access the cameras with my iPhone while I am traveling away from home.

I guess I'm confused on when I am only using my LAN, and when I am actually accessing the internet. Thanks in advance....

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Actually a sort of hard question to answer. It would help if you could define "IP camera".

When you say "IP" Cameras" I don't understand. Since 'IP' is common for Internet Provider I have to ask if the cameras rely on the internet to communicate. While I would consider it a bit of an odd setup it is possible that the camera sends to a server maintained by the manufacturer that then sends back to you. While this type of setup IS possible for a camera I find it doubtful. If this happens to be the case it is possible that your internet speed could be a factor but, since you have 4Mb/sec download it would probably be handled. Arggg, the 0.9Mb/sec upload you have versus the suggested 1.0Mb/sec could possibly be an issue but that is not really known. I mean is it a burst send of the data or is it using an actual internet protocol? I don't expect you to know that answer at this time but it is a valid factor. If using an actual internet protocol I doubt that the 0.9Mb/sec would cause you a whole lot of issue but if the device sends as a burst it very well could cause an issue.

If the camera is just wireless I don't see an issue as long as within range of your router. BTW, you can extend that 150 foot range if the area has a power outlet...

This is a case where you are talking about a specialized device. My best recommendation would be to contact their support and explain your setup. They should be able to give definitive answers.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, as always, thanks for your response. This is how Wikipedia defines an IP camera:
An Internet Protocol camera, or IP camera, is a type of digital video camera commonly employed for surveillance, and which, unlike analog closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, can send and receive data via a computer network and the Internet. Although most cameras that do this are webcams, the term IP camera or netcam is usually applied only to those used for surveillance that can be directly accessed over a network connection.

And here is a photo of one (available on Amazon, at Walmart, etc):
Attachment:
ip camera.png
ip camera.png [ 64.18 KiB | Viewed 5286 times ]

As you suggested, I will also contact a manufacturer to seek an answer to my question.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The following quote tends to say to me that you would be OK but, of course, I cannot prove this. The quote indicates to me that internet access is an option, not essential.

"...can send and receive data via a computer network and the Internet...."

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

If your upload speed is less than 1 Mbps, your video will be rather choppy, especially if you have it set to stream high definition. Accessing the cameras within your network won't be a problem, but accessing on your phone remotely will be problematic.
I have multiple IP cameras on my network which I can access remotely, but my upload speed here is rather fast (about 30 Mbps). This will surely change when we move -- in order to move closer to our grandchildren and my wife's mom and daughter, I anticipate a significant downgrade of Internet speed. :-O We're looking at a more rural area. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:59 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
If your upload speed is less than 1 Mbps, your video will be rather choppy, especially if you have it set to stream high definition. Accessing the cameras within your network won't be a problem, but accessing on your phone remotely will be problematic.
I have multiple IP cameras on my network which I can access remotely, but my upload speed here is rather fast (about 30 Mbps). This will surely change when we move -- in order to move closer to our grandchildren and my wife's mom and daughter, I anticipate a significant downgrade of Internet speed. :-O We're looking at a more rural area. ;-)

Thanks, Steve. I think I will try a couple of standard definition cameras just to see how everything works. Currently I don't plan on accessing the cameras remotely on my iPhone.

Ah, living in a rural area. That's what I've done for the past 20 years. I trade internet speed for the peace, quite and wildlife that share my 5 acres. I live on a larger island surrounded by a lake and the river that feeds the lake. On our island we have deer, fox, racoons, squirrels, opossums, and birds. I feed the wildlife & birds and record their activities on infrared trail cameras. In the past 7 years, using a mixture of 15 cameras, I have recorded approximately 325,000 photos and videos.

I have a friend who, with his wife, lives in a rural area of Tennessee. They travel quite a bit, so he uses IP cameras to monitor the activities around their house while they are gone. Unlike me, they have a bear or two stroll through their outside breezeway, even when they are home. He uses a software program that allows him to view all of his cameras simultaneously on a computer monitor.

Ah, the rural life...…... :cboy1:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I'm looking forward to a more rural life -- I'm willing to give up the blazing Internet access for it!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 pm 

I love living the quiet life, after starting out in the city I've moved to somewhere smaller each time I've moved. I now live in a small coastal village we had 1 shop which has been closed for several months but has just re-opened under new management. Then there's the pub and a manor house that is a restaurant/pub and quest house.
My broadband used to be on average about 3.5Mbps down and 0.38Mbps up. We then got Fibre although it's not what you'd call true Fibre as it only goes to the box on the outskirts of the village then carries on over the normal phone lines but at least I get a better speed now. This is on my laptop just now over wireless and it's a bit slower than I often get.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7409178799.png

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, even if slower than usual, your numbers are still VERY impressive.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
Joan, even if slower than usual, your numbers are still VERY impressive.

I'll be thrilled if I can get that speed when we move. :-)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am 

I know I was surprised when I got it, especially when it's not true Fibre. It is only a small village but I know the Welsh goverment are trying to push for better speeds across the country. Mobile signal though is a different matter, in the next village you have to be on the outskirts of the village to even get a signal and my village is on the edge of the signal.

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks