Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm 
welcoming committee

I have just updated my Toshiba laptop to Version 1703 of Windows 10 and now I cannot find any of the five wireless network connections I have in this house. Device Manager shows both network adapters as not functioning. The properties of one informs me that the device "does not exist," and the properties of the other inform me that I must disable other devices before this one will work. There are about a dozen other devices showing as not currently functioning, so this update has really done a number. Is there any way to fix this short of reverting to the previous version of Windows 10?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The first step would be to totally remove power from the system (including the battery) and tapping the power button. Reconnect power and see what happens.

The next step would be to remove the device in Device Manager and reboot allowing Windows to re-install the device. As part of this I'd also check to be sure that you have the most recent drivers installed.

At this point the last thing I'd try is to boot to Safe Mode with Networking to see if it works without nonessential startup items and drivers.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:09 am 
welcoming committee

I appreciate the suggestions, Jay; unfortunately, none worked. I just restored the computer to the previous version, which is 1607, and wireless works again as before. I think I will try the update to 1703 again to see if the previous install did not finish properly, or if it is that version itself that won't work on this 10-year-old Toshiba laptop.

I now find a problem on this desktop running version 1703: I can't connect to my wife's computer, also running 1703. In Network, I see only my computer. I'll have to do some woodshedding on the LAN tomorrow.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 am 
welcoming committee

Gerry, double check the advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing Center. I had to change some of the settings after the upgrade. Also, if you have a shared folder on the computer you may have to unshare it and share it again to get it to be seen.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am 
Fearless Leader

And don't neglect to reboot your computer after you update. Maybe even twice.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Gerry,

I don't have first hand experience of your issue but if you have a Broadcom 440x Network Adapter then this will likely be the culprit, afaict the only workaround at the moment is to disable the Broadcom 440x in the BIOS... not ideal if you rely on wired networking but it appears it should at least restore your other networking options.

Travis, an MSFT, posted the following in the MS Answers Forums on the 14th and promised to update the thread when there were any updates, as far as i can see there have been no updates to date so it appears you're only option is to follow the advice in the thread...
Quote:
Hello. I am an Engineer in the Windows Networking team. I can confirm that there is a bug in the Creators Update that affects the compatibility with the Broadcom 440x driver. We are working on resolving this until it is resolved. We are looking at putting a upgrade block in place as erpmanila3w suggested.

Thank you for reporting this! I will keep this thread posted if there are any updates. Meanwhile following the steps mentioned in this thread will work around the issue (if you can call disabling Ethernet a valid workaround) until we have a real fix available.
cf. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2183836572

[Expand the replies in the MS Answers forum, reading the thread will shed more clarity.]

I hope that helps.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Gerry, double check the advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing Center. I had to change some of the settings after the upgrade. Also, if you have a shared folder on the computer you may have to unshare it and share it again to get it to be seen.

Thanks, Dave. I did find that on both of our computers, under "All Networks" in advanced sharing settings, "password protected sharing" was turned on. I turned it off, and now my computer can be seen on hers and on my laptop downstairs, but I cannot see hers on either. I'll keep working with it.

On the other issue, I installed version 1703 on the laptop again and had the same issues with no wireless connection available. I again restored version 1607 of Windows 10 and everything works as it should. Apparently the Creators Update isn't happy with an 11-year-old Toshiba with only 1 GB of RAM, so I'll have to be satisfied with 1607. It's not a real problem as I seldom use the laptop these days.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:12 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
And don't neglect to reboot your computer after you update. Maybe even twice.

I did, Patty. Thanks for the reminder.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
Hi Gerry,

I don't have first hand experience of your issue but if you have a Broadcom 440x Network Adapter then this will likely be the culprit, afaict the only workaround at the moment is to disable the Broadcom 440x in the BIOS... not ideal if you rely on wired networking but it appears it should at least restore your other networking options.

Travis, an MSFT, posted the following in the MS Answers Forums on the 14th and promised to update the thread when there were any updates, as far as i can see there have been no updates to date so it appears you're only option is to follow the advice in the thread...
Quote:
Hello. I am an Engineer in the Windows Networking team. I can confirm that there is a bug in the Creators Update that affects the compatibility with the Broadcom 440x driver. We are working on resolving this until it is resolved. We are looking at putting a upgrade block in place as erpmanila3w suggested.

Thank you for reporting this! I will keep this thread posted if there are any updates. Meanwhile following the steps mentioned in this thread will work around the issue (if you can call disabling Ethernet a valid workaround) until we have a real fix available.
cf. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2183836572

[Expand the replies in the MS Answers forum, reading the thread will shed more clarity.]

I hope that helps.

Thank you, Doddie. I don't know what brand of network adapter the laptop has, but I'll check into it. That could explain what is happening.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Gerry, if you go to the network adaptor tab in Device Manager it will probably tell you the adapter model. It should, at least, tell you if it is Broadcom.

Since you are trying to connect wireless Doddie's suggestion would be a good choice for you to try. If you decide to try the upgrade again I would suggest that you disable the wired adapter in the BIOS before doing the upgrade. I can't give any specific reason for this suggestion but it just 'seems right' to me.

BTW, possibly a VERY nice call Doddie! :)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 am 
welcoming committee

I've decided to leave my laptop operating with Windows 10 version 1607. As I mentioned, I don't use the laptop often, so I don't really want to spend any more time on it since it operates perfectly on 1607.
To close out this discussion, the wireless network adapter that will not function in version 1703 is an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, not a Broadcom 440x. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks