Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 am 
welcoming committee

I read good things about Vivaldi. But as a long-time user of Internet Explorer (now ver 11), I am always hesitant to switch my browser. I didn't even use Edge when I installed Win 10.

So I was curious if anyone else is using Vivaldi; if so, how do you like it and is it difficult to learn?

Thanks in advance....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:02 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sigh, Vivaldi is something I keep meaning to try but never seem to get around to doing. I just need to break down and install and pin to my taskbar so I see it and remember to try.

Do keep in mind that you can install Vivaldi and still keep IE as your default.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay - keeping IE as my default is good to know. That being the case, I may download Vivaldi and play around with it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:58 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sigh, Vivaldi is something I keep meaning to try but never seem to get around to doing.

Heh, same here. Someone here at the Haven had used it at least for a while, was it Patty? I don't remember.
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 am 
Fearless Leader

I like the browser - it's practically impossible to learn. LOL Seems they are adding new features all the time, far faster than I could keep up with them.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the input, Patty. At this point in my life, 'simple but adequate' is what I'm looking for so I think I will stay with IE. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just installed but have not used enough to have an opinion. I am posting this using it. Since I install 'secondary' software to a 'Programs' folder on my data drive I am happy to say that it installed there happily. I am also happy to say that it did not automatically set itself as the default browser.

Page loads seem pretty quick. One of the sites I use to test page loads is my photo gallery as, of course, there are a lot of images involved. Page loads on my gallery just may be a bit quicker than with IE.

At a first glance I think this browser worth a look. Of course one would probably want to import Favorites and such. Look to the 'V' icon in the top left for the file, view, etc. menu.

BB, just due to the fact that they add new features does not mean that it cannot be 'simple but adequate'. Of course, right now, I don't know if new features are intrusive after doing an update or not. All I did was to install then import Favorites and such from IE and I was off and going. Actually I think that you might like the thing.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:27 am 
welcoming committee

I've been using Vivaldi for about 2 months about 95% of the time over Firefox. I use both in a sandbox. Compared to Firefox, I sense that Vivaldi loads sites faster.
There are a few sites on FF that have invisible check boxes (Paypal on Ebay, Express Scripts) and invisible links (very annoying) but not on Vilvaldi. More mouse clicking on Vivaldi but I'm learning to fine tune that.
So, for now V is my favorite over FF.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Smitty wrote:
I use both in a sandbox.

Smart. No browser has its security nailed down, yet, and probably never will after all, browsers are the hackers favorite weapon. The bad guys are always one step ahead with the good guys because the good guys don't know their next step.

Not to you Smitty since I get a sense that you know what you are doing: Want to frustrate a bad guy or hacker all to heck? Surf using ANY browser inside of a REAL sandbox. But please understand you have to know how to use this protective technology correctly.

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been using it since I read about here in CH. It's basically a more efficient version of Chrome. I also run it Sandboxed. I use it 99% of the time and it's my default browser.

There is one thing I want to ask about Edge. I experienced some credit card fraud in the last 48 hrs. I went to long into my account at my cards website using Edge and they don't acknowledge the Edge browser. I got a message, paraphrasing here, "your browser is out of date. You can update your browser by going here". It then showed links for IE, Firefox and Chrome. I'm shocked that this reputable card company isn't honoring MS Edge.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

There are still quite a few sites that don't support the Edge browser. Which is a bit shortsighted of them as Edge comes with Windows 10 and many people will use what's on the PC...

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:14 pm 
welcoming committee

You're right about that Steve. I was trying edge because I read here that the security was very good and just to be different for that moment. It's not a problem and I'm sure the longer Windows 10 is around Edge will work eventually. Thanks for your comment Steve.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email