Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Super accent light...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:57 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
From screen shots and videos in other threads it is probably obvious that I like accent lights. This one takes the cake! I've only had it on for about 20 minutes but am already in love with the thing! Of course it is all just projected on the walls but it seems to look 3D. This is probably due to an optical illusion as it is aimed toward a corner of the room instead of a totally flat surface.

It is laser generated with just green as the color or green and red. It can be in motion or static. With my discount at work I paid $42.49 + tax.

Not going to bore with posting videos of the static mode but this is with just green turned on with motion. Go ahead and watch, only a 12 second video.
[youtube]8o4stwaKXvw[/youtube]

This is the same view with both green and red enabled. Watch this one too, only 13 seconds. ;)
[youtube]BdiLTUkYe9Y[/youtube]

This thing is just TOO cool! Right now it is just sitting on the floor but that corner is waiting for me to find a square end table that I like. Once it is elevated on a table I should be able to aim the thing to catch the corner of the room and probably at least a third of the ceiling. I am already considering getting a second unit before they are gone. We don't get these units often and cannot keep them on the shelves when we do.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

So, who loves gadgets?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 am 

Manny Carvalho wrote:
So, who loves gadgets?

LOL! Well obviously I do... :mrgreen:

I fully intend to get another unit that will be placed on the other corner of the same wall. This should pretty much fill the entire wall with this effect.

It is almost freaky how 3D the thing looks. Obviously it is just light projected on flat surfaces but it does not look like that.

Here is one aspect that is really weird and I don't get... I can put my hand in the light field and my hand will cast a slight shadow on the wall which would be expected. The light dots even show on my hand which would also be expected. What is not expected is that there is no change in the display field at all. It is like my hand is just within a field of lights without blocking any of them.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:34 pm 

Wow! that's gorgeous, reminds me of my optic lights at Christmas and I love them. :)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:34 am 
welcoming committee

Welcome to the world of holograms.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:31 pm 

Manny Carvalho wrote:
Welcome to the world of holograms.

I know Manny. ;) I've just never had one that ignored obstacles. I mean that I can put my hand in the thing and it displays the dots on my hand and my shadow is on the wall. Yet, within the shadow on the wall, are still the dots even though they are on my hand.

I DID get the second unit but have not yet figured out how to position.

I don't know if it will work well but I already have plans for the next Christmas season. I will have to try placing both units in my living room window pointing at the creek behind me. Each unit is designed to cover the front of a normal house. They were initially designed as Christmas lighting (note the green and red coloring...). I just don't know how well they will work over distance as I'm in a third floor apartment. Then again the creek isn't far away... Even in the winter there would be a pretty solid backdrop. If I remember I might even try it later tonight as I close the store tomorrow and don't have to go to bed early.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:42 am 

Can't really get a viewable video in the dark with my Canon IOS T3 but did an experiment tonight against the background in the image within my last post.

The experiment's result is that I'm going to freak people out come next Christmas time! It will probably be even better with snow to add some reflection but even now it is like the trees are filled with fire flies. It looks good enough that a neighbor that was out with me asked that I leave it on so he could look at it from his window.

I knew that the units had a bit of power as they are designed for outside usage to throw the dots across the entire front of a house. I did not really expect it to be able to look good at ~50 yards from a third story window aimed at trees. And I only tried one unit. I am also impressed with the focus of the lasers that generate the effect. From the videos in the first post you can probably figure correctly that the dots vary in size from about 1/64" to 1/8" but even at ~50 yards the dot size only increases to about an average of the size of a dime to a quarter. Since, with my discount at work, I only paid ~$42.00 per unit I find this pretty impressive. Actually I just looked at the caution sheet and the things are strong enough that it is mandated that they cannot be pointed at a higher surface above that on which they sit within a 10 nautical mile radius of an airport. Of course the same could probably be said for a laser pointer... Probably just an all encompassing mandate for any laser generated device.

Sorry for the 'info-mercial' site but here is a link for more info...
https://www.starshowermotion.com/?uid=8 ... pc%3DEUPP_

I figure that I should be able to cover an area pretty much equal to the following two shots using both units. I also expect better results with snow and ice in the trees which should add refraction effects. I love these things, they are freaky cool! It is supposed to be able to cover a 3200 square foot area at 100 yards distance. And yes, this is the view from my north facing windows. I can think of worse things to see looking out of a window. :mrgreen:

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing