Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:56 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
No toolbars or extensions in Edge yet. I'm not sure if you'll be able to add it once the Anniversary Update rolls out -- I suspect Roboform would need to update their code to be compliant.
-steve

Actually Edge has already begun to accepty extensions. Click the following link to see a list from just one source on a quick search.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... xtensions/
Also, while I have not proven, I have read that Netflix now works in edge.

Let's face it, when Win 10 was first released Edge would have to have been considered to be in beta mode. Apparently it IS improving but, for the moment, I'm still using IE-11.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:15 pm 

LOL! Back to Windows 10 being pretty...

Like I expected Lucinda Caligraphy did not last long as my Windows 10 system font. A script type font looks REALLY good but makes it a bit of a hassle reading file names and such. I switched to Comic Sans MS and think that I will be quite happy with this font. It has always been one of my favorite MS fonts.

Here is how my stuff currently appears. I think that I like it! :mrgreen: LOL! Everything is still fully readable yet just a bit different. If you have not figured out by now I happen to LIKE different. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
font1.jpg
font1.jpg [ 52.39 KiB | Viewed 17495 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:47 pm 

jaylach wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:
Doesn't seem like there are reg edits needed. I wasn't familiar with that mouse setting in Ease of Access. Imagine that! LOL

Thanks!

Agreed, to just turn it on can be done straight through settings. However just doing so makes it really irritating as it will switch focus between windows even if you just accidentially move the mouse over another window by mistake. To set the time for the switch and whether or not to bring the window to the front takes registry edits if done manually.

Sorry... I was in a bit of a hurry Patty and may have, for once in my life, gotten too pithy. :rofl2:

Here is what I see wrong with the default 'mousex' being done just through settings...
1) If you are dealing with just two windows side by side all is fine. You move the mouse between the windows and all is just fine and dandy.

2) The problem that I see is that of a case when one window is fully expanded and another is set to a smaller size. If you use the straight settings method without any registry edits you can never get back to the smaller window. Even if you select the smaller window from the task bar it will fail. Yes, the smaller window WILL come to the front if selected from the task bar but as soon as you move the mouse it will be over the full sized window and the selected smaller will no longer be seen to be made active.

3) Alt-Tab MAY be a solution to 2) but I have not tested and have my system now set to where I would have to revert my settings to check. My thought as to Alt-Tab solving the focus issie is that I THINK that Alt-Tab will automatically make the selected window to be in focus or active. Even though this could be a solution it makes it cumbesome.

4) To me there are a couple of solutions.
a. First you could do a registry hack to delay the time that a hover over a window makes it come to the front. This would allow you enough time to move the mouse to where it is needed before the hover effect takes over.

b. You could set the mousex hover to where it does not bring the hovered window to the front. This is how I am currently set as I would tend to use this hover aspect only if I were doing research. In such a situation I would likely have side by side windows. One window would be where I'm typing and the other would be the resources. OK, so I'm typing in one window from a resource within another window. I can just hover over the resource window and scroll through while, at the same time, anything I type will go to the input window.

So far it seems to be working for me and I actually used it in this post to keep things straight.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:36 pm 
Fearless Leader

You are correct in #2 above and that could be most annoying. However, over the years, I have made it a habit to always have the inactive windows positioned in such a way that a small part of them sticks out beyond other windows. So all I have to do is to hover over that part, the window comes forward and I can scroll - all in one motion. I almost never have more than 3 windows on the screen at once, generally only two, and if I go beyond that, I simply minimize one or more of them.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:33 am 

Your solution works and, to be honest, my main purpose for this would be research where I'd have windows side by side. Still, at times, I want a window full screen. Just using the settings method would make this problematic for me especially when editing videos. I haven't messed much more with this aspect but suspect that I'll use the tweaker to set a hover timer of about a second or a little less before it brings the hovered window to the front. Visually that would be hardly noticed but a second is longer than we percieve and would allow for moving the mouse pointer anywhere on the screen.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:56 am 

Sorry but I can't resist showing off... :mrgreen: Come on, we all know that this is just me having fun. Still I DO want my media system pretty and it now just may be prettier in Windows 10 than it was in Windows 7.

Of course the animated desktop takes resources but with a 4 GB Radeon card that is considered pretty strong for gaming... the card's fans don't even turn on when doing the desktop animations. I will also say that Stardock did pretty well with this as to concerving resources. You have options as to quality; the lower the visual quality the less demand. It also automatically turns off the animation if a window is opened full screen to conserve video processing.

Then there is the tweaker... I'm thrilled with the thing and having a blast. Hey, this IS a fun stuff forum... :mrgreen: With Dreamscapes and the tweaker I think I've done pretty well as to appearance considering the fact that I've only been running Windows 10 as a main OS for 6 days. :mrgreen:

OK so here is the showing off. The focus could have probably been a bit better but I'm also starting to play with the video recording abilities of my Canon Rebel T3 camera. I don't have all the fine points down yet. I'm sure that this will be of no interest to most but, since Joan has shown interest, I thought that I'd throw up a video of where I'm at. This should be viewed full screen but you would have to click the Youtube icon at the bottom of the embedded video to get that ability. Hey, at least it opens in a new tab/window. :mrgreen:

Oh, also notice my mouse pointer! Using a 42 inch HDTV as a monitor you NEED a pretty extreme pointer or you can never find the danged thing! :rofl2:

[youtube]ze0R1QibYCM[/youtube]

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:47 am 
welcoming committee

Very nice Jay. How about figuring out how to add borders back to the windows. I would thought that looks pretty.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:57 pm 

Borders, rounded corners, custom animations, drop shadows and other stuff can be done with Stardock's full package called Object Desktop.
http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/
I just got the desktop animation portion but am considering upgrading to the full package.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:04 am 
welcoming committee

Fair enough, I saw the video and it looks nice. Funny that making Windows pretty again can make people money but that's how it goes. I guess I better hurry up and load Win 10 and quit living with 8 which I never liked. I think I'm getting tired of fooling around with Windows just for the heck of it.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:46 pm 

Hey Manny; is the below shot what you meant by Windows borders? If so I seem to have missed a setting in the Winaero tweaker that will handle this. First Aero Lite MUST be turned on before this will work. DUH! Who but me would miss a tweaker setting named "Window Borders"? :rofl2:

Yes, I remember that you don't like Windows 8.1 and you should probably upgrade to 10.

Attachment:
window-border.jpg
window-border.jpg [ 84.63 KiB | Viewed 17434 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:25 am 
welcoming committee

That's it. I liked the aero look of translucent borders with rounded corners. Kinda like that Snagit callout you used. Typically, I had the top window so the borders were visible because I liked the look. Now it's just maximized and while still functional it's too a simple look for me.

Next week, I'm pulling the platter drive out of my laptop and installing the solid state drive for the Win 10 install. I hate to have to install everything again but that's how I like it when I do a new OS. Leave all my mistakes behind and start again. Wish me luck!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:33 pm 

Good luck on the install. :) If this is your SSD you are in for a pleasant surprise.

I went ahead and upgraded to the full Stardock package called Object Desktop but haven't played much yet. One of the features is a modified Start Menu. I may well change back to have the tiles as I like the live tile for my weather app. Still this shows that you can have the 'old style' Start Menu if you want. You can also have all the rounded corners on Windows. Not sure about border transparency though.
Attachment:
start10.jpg
start10.jpg [ 127.46 KiB | Viewed 17416 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:28 pm 

Here are your borders Manny! Note that the active window has a more pronounced border while the background window has less. Sigh... now if I could find an option in this thing to make the title bar transparent...

This thing is more fun than playing a game! :rofl2:

Attachment:
Window-border-tranparancy.jpg
Window-border-tranparancy.jpg [ 33.07 KiB | Viewed 17411 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Nice! That's something to try for sure. Thanks.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:53 pm 

Oh just playing with the start menu (also include the task bar) gets better. I can have the modified start menu and Win 10 start menu at the same time. Note the third option on the left, Windows 10 menu. Clicking this brings back the Windows 10 menu with live tiles until the menu is closed and re-opened. Three included styles, Windows 7, Windows 10 and Modern. What I have up below is Modern. I like it better than Windows 7 due to losing the white area on the left side of seven's menu.

As a functional improvement notice the arrow heads by some listings such as Control Panel. These are hover menus where, when hovered over, bring up complete sub menus with all options for the listing. Control Panel will display all Control Panel options. This PC will display all Libraries and drives.

As to pretty notice the light texture added to the start menu background while still keeping the transparency along with the task bar being much more transparent. Oh, also notice the chevrons for the start menu button. Pretty much I can use any images I want for normal, hover and active states of the start button.

While I don't need it I think that I may play with a component called Multiplicity next. It allows a software method for using one mouse and keyboard on two systems. Actually during football season when I'm using both systems to view games this could come in handy.

Attachment:
start10-2.jpg
start10-2.jpg [ 175.49 KiB | Viewed 17398 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:03 pm 

BTW, if anyone looks at the free trial of Object Desktop and decides to buy do not. Object Desktop costs $49.99 but Dreamscapes costs only $9.99. You can then upgrade from Dreamscapes to Object Desktop for $34.99 for a total of $44.98. Hey, five bucks is five bucks. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:52 pm 

OK, so I didn't end up going to Multiplicity...

Manny if you want rounded window corners how would this do? :mrgreen: This was a one click change to an included window style.

I should add that you can define different window styles per application. For instance you could have the style below for your browser and a totally different style for file explorer or any other app.

Attachment:
blinds1.jpg
blinds1.jpg [ 63.78 KiB | Viewed 17394 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:21 am 

OK I'm back to bore you some more... :mrgreen:

Another aspect of Object Desktop is 'WindowsFX'. WindowsFX allows annimations to be defined for the opening of Windows and menus. By windows in this case I mean application windows such as file explorer, not the operating system.

Not sure why but the following video has a lot of artifacts as in the red cross hatching. This hatching is not actually on my screen. I THINK that it may be that the only ambient light at the moment is associated with my ceiling fan. The 'strobe' caused by the spinning blades might be the cause. Regardless the effects of WindowsFX are still apparent so I'm not going to bother re-doing the video.

Keep in mind that all the effects shown took about ten minutes to set up using predefined solutions. You can also build your own effects. What I will show is just one set out of many included with the package. I am sure that I will use this but it will be quicker than shown. I have the animation speed set rather slow so that the effects can be easier seen.

Again this thing has no real practical aspect but I like it. I will probably turn on everything that I can and then trim back. I am sure that it would take a LOT of study as to creating my own window border style and animations... I've peeked at the editors; not for the timid! Still everything I've shown is included in the package and pretty much just a selection to be made. For my purpose, wanting extreme pretty, I consider this cheap at the cost of $44.98. More fun than a basket of puppies! :mrgreen:

I DO apologize for the poor video and even poorer narration...

[youtube]ZbHQgJXMS-I[/youtube]

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:50 am 
welcoming committee

Nice, Jay. The functionality is the same as that of a low cut dress. 8-)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:47 pm 

:mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm 

From the same people that did the Winaero Tweaker comes a condensed Personalization menu. I know that if I messed with it I could get used to the Windows 10 method but it just seems cumbersome. The link to open the following window can be pinned to the Start Menu and/or added to the Desktop Context Menu. The font is not part of the theme menu but a change that I did with the Winaero Tweaker.

LOL! It just dawned on me that I seem to have taken the Computer Haven color scheme for my windows. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
personalize1.jpg
personalize1.jpg [ 160.23 KiB | Viewed 17325 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing