Register    Login    Search    FAQ     DONATE

Board index » Forum Rules, Questions and Information » "Forum" forum

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm 

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/posting.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
Freedom's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose..

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:25 pm 

I tried posting the release of new avast version and get the above message??

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This error is usually caused when a combination of words triggers the spam word filter on the server.

Could you possibly give me a quote of the sentence that included the word Avast? Of course you can't post it so send via an email through the forums. If that fails I'll PM you a direct email address.

Jaylach Site Portal

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:26 pm 

Its the same one as in this thread at COU and by the join up if you wish :)
http://calendarofupdates.org/index.php?topic=347.0

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:33 pm 

The word trigger is "Avast 'Free' Antivirus". A known software package along with the word free following triggers the spam filter in many cases. Note that I avoided this filter trigger by placing the word free in single quotes. I was also able to sucessfully post below by making the word free bold.

It is seldom that this happens but irritating when it does. Still it is the best all around hosting I've had. Since I am on a shared hosting server I cannot do away with the filter. The couple of times it has happened to me I just clicked the back button to get back to the edit screen with the edit box still holding the message (Works with IE; can't really say for other browsers.). Then I copy the entire post to my clip board and start removing parts until it will post. This let's me know the sentence that has caused the trigger. After that it is a simple matter of modifying the sentence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've raised the bar on security again, with more intelligent features that makes threat-detection faster and more automation for advanced users - all within a seamless, intuitive interface.
Cloud-light, award-winning free protection
Packed with the largest threat-detection network, machine-learning protection, easy password management and home network security that won’t slow down your PC.

Easy to install effortless to use
Avast Free Antivirus scans for security and performance issues and tells you how to fix things instantly.
It protects you in real-time by analyzing unknown files before they get to you. So relax: With Avast, you’re running the most trusted antivirus out there.

Jaylach Site Portal

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:54 pm 

As a follow-up I think I'll put in a ticket with the hosting to see if there is a work-a-round as the three words "Avast 'Free' Antivirus", and other such cases, should not cause an issue on a help forum.

I also moved this thread out of Securrity to the "Forum" Forum section as it is actually a forum/hosting issue, not really a system security issue even though it concerns security on the hosting server... then again... LOL! How convoluted could I make this???? :rofl2: :mrgreen:

Jaylach Site Portal

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:44 am 

Avast Free Antivirus

OK, this issue seems to be fixed as you can see from the above line. It took a bit of back and forth discussion and testing with Green Geeks Hosting but SEEMS to be solved. These folks are pretty decent on support.

Here is their last reply with non essential stuff removed.
Green Geeks wrote:
I've detected the ModSecurity rule that had caused the issue and disabled it for your account.
Please check the issue now.

LOL! Anyone happen to know exactly what a "ModSecurity rule" happens to be? I still think that iot is some type of server side spam filter but can't prove at this time. I may or may not research... we shall see. Sometimes I get a bit anal on an issue and at other times I forget it as soon as solved.

I WOULD appreciate it if someone would respond with the text string of "Avast Free Antivirus" without the quotes just I can know that this is not just fixed for me but for all.

If any know I would also like to know what a 'WAN IP' actually is. It was due to their sending me to a site that detected this that the issue is apparently solved. It was through my "WAN IP" that they were able to look at server failure logs to figure out the issue.

Jaylach Site Portal

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 am 

Avast Free Antivirus (Quick Reply)

Last edited by chasbox on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 am 

Avast Free Antivirus ( Full Editor)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:51 pm 

jaylach wrote:
LOL! Anyone happen to know exactly what a "ModSecurity rule" happens to be? I still think that iot is some type of server side spam filter but can't prove at this time. I may or may not research... we shall see. Sometimes I get a bit anal on an issue and at other times I forget it as soon as solved.

This is pure speculation but i rather suspect they are referring to this, an open source web application firewall:
http://modsecurity.org/

Quote:
ModSecurity is a toolkit for real-time web application monitoring, logging, and access control. I like to think about it as an enabler: there are no hard rules telling you what to do; instead, it is up to you to choose your own path through the available features. That's why the title of this section asks what ModSecurity can do, not what it does...
http://modsecurity.org/about.html

It would follow then that a "ModSecurity rule" is the following:
Quote:
ModSecurity is a web application firewall engine that provides very little protection on its own. In order to become useful, ModSecurity must be configured with rules.
http://modsecurity.org/rules.html

... but i could be wrong ;)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:11 pm 

jaylach wrote:
If any know I would also like to know what a 'WAN IP' actually is. It was due to their sending me to a site that detected this that the issue is apparently solved. It was through my "WAN IP" that they were able to look at server failure logs to figure out the issue.

I know that WAN stands for Wide Area Network, e.g. the internet... I'm by no means a networking expert but i always assumed my WAN IP address was the one assigned to me by my ISP.

I hope I'm not about to teach my granny how to suck eggs, but... ;)
cf. http://www.conniq.com/FAQ/lan-wan-ip-address.htm

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:24 pm 

Yep on the WAN IP. It is just the long name for the broadcast IP from your system assigned by your ISP.

I had not looked up modsecurity yet so thanks for the links. :) Looking through the links I believe that it was really a spam phrase filter, as I suspected all along, that was built as a rule in modsecurity. I mean it really had to be a spam phrase filter for Avast Free Antivirus to fail yet Avast Antivirus Free to pass.

The flexibility of Green Geeks Hosting is one of the main reasons that I stay with them even though I could do hosting for much less. I pay $287.40/year in 4 quarterly payments and it is WELL worth the price. Take this case as an example... To resolve an issue they disabled a standard security rule on their server to accommodate my needs. Granted that the disabled rule only affects my domain but still... I can just about see the response if I asked that of Go Daddy. ;) Add to that the fact that I have unlimited bandwidth, unlimited email addresses, unlimited storage( *1 ), an unlimited number of databases with no data base size limits( *2 ) and unlimited FTP accounts along with other perks and the cost becomes rather low. :) I have never minded paying a higher price if the return was worth the cost. Oh, did I mention that they are VERY 'green'? Yep, they put more power into the power grid than they take. They use banks of wind generators. :) If this sounds like a sales pitch I suppose it is in a way. If anyone asked for a reference I would advise no-one else. You can actually get really good hosting for $3.95/month if paid for on a one payment per year basis. I just choose to pay more to be on a limited server( *3 ) and have some added perks.

( *1 ): This is, of course, in theory. Still, even when I was using their base package at $3.95/month, they threw in another hard drive on the server when I ran into a storage issue with my photo gallery site. They backup what they advertise.

( *2 ): Ask Patty about costs involved with hosting outfits that charge for data base usage according to the size of the data base. It can become a total horror story.

( *3 ): Limited server means that there are only about 20% of the number of domains on the server than on the lower cost packages. It is like multi-tasking; I get a LOT more server resources.

Jaylach Site Portal

Board index » Forum Rules, Questions and Information » "Forum" forum