Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Update. Installed both ShadowProtect and Image Manager. Continuous incrementals works fine in Win 10.

Also finally got net framework 3.51 to install.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:20 am 
welcoming committee

Okay, I have a question on how something happened. I have a guess, but want to see what people think.

Here is the step by step scenario.

1. I built a VM using Vmware Workstation. Built it with 3.0gb of ram, and 2 hard drives of 60gb each.

2. Installed the original WIn 10 TP I believe it was Build 9841 or 9851. Not sure

3. Download a display template and chose the picture I liked for the Desktop. Also did my usual settings...
Turn on file extensions, turn on hidden files and folders, turn off system restore, windows Defender, and UAC

4. Installed all my software. Sandboxie was the only thing I couldn't install.

5. Upgrade Win 10 to Build 9926 which is the latest build. I told it to keep all my settings and apps which it did.

6. Reported in the above posts my findings.

7. I wanted to do some additional testing and discovered my disks weren't big enough so I decided to start over.

8. I uninstalled all the licensed software, to release the licences

9 Key step. I deleted the VM. Left the folder, but it was empty

10 Created a new VM, this time with 2 180gb drives.(Yep you read that right)

11 Did a clean install form the Win 10 build 9926 CD I had built.

12 Now here is the strange part. The desktop image was the one I had downloaded from the template, which was no longer there. All the changes I had made to windows setting were intact. Now I can't believe these changes were defaulted to the new build, so where did they come from?

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 pm 
welcoming committee

My guess - I don't know since I haven't been fooling around with this - the settings came from the registry which, if I read what you wrote correctly, you didn't wipe away.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Manny

No, I deleted the entire VM. Each VM contains all it's files in one folder, and I deleted all the files in the folder, and then rebuilt a new machine from scratch.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Do you have it networked or are you using an MS account?

If using a MS account all your preferences would be kept within that account. In fact if you have multiple machines in any combination between 8, 8.1 and 10 and use the same MS account on all of them they will ALL have the same wallpaper and settings. Many would like this, I do not.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:17 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Do you have it networked or are you using an MS account?

If using a MS account all your preferences would be kept within that account. In fact if you have multiple machines in any combination between 8, 8.1 and 10 and use the same MS account on all of them they will ALL have the same wallpaper and settings. Many would like this, I do not.

I just have the Win 10 machine attached to an MS account. You need to do that to provide feedback. So what you are saying is even though the 2nd clean install was done, since it was attached to my MS account it picked up the settings.

I have mixed emotions, but in this case it did make life easier.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:34 pm 

That is exactly what I am saying appears to be the case.

I have two win 8.1 systems and one 10 tied to my MS account. If I change the wallpaper on one they all change.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I have two win 8.1 systems and one 10 tied to my MS account. If I change the wallpaper on one they all change.

Well that makes sense. MS is taking us to the could. If they do it right(security) then to me it's a winner. But the security has bitten a large number of companies.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:

You can configure what you want to synchronize. I let the wallpaper, lock screen, picture password, etc. sync on 3 machines. The one running Windows 10 does not sync all of the settings -- by choice.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ttings-pcs

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve. I knew you guys would have the answers.

Being able to play like this is a fun adventure, but also invaluable. By the time they release I will already be up to speed.

I also have to say this new version of VMware Workstation is awesome.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 am 

Thanks for the link Steve. I just turned off the sync for theme and passwords in Win 10. I'll do the same with my two Win 8.1 installs when I boot to them.

From the short video in the linked page it would seem that, at least for now, the sync settings page is abbreviated in Win 10 compared to 8.1. The video shows 10 sync setting other than global on/off and backup settings. In 10 there are only 6. Also the backup settings option is not there.

@ Pete; I hope that you don't mind that I left my thread on 10 alone and just used yours instead of adding to mine. It just seemed to make sense to have all in one place especially since I'm not experimenting a lot any more and most of my posts will actually involve stuff you found anyway. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:21 am 

Thanks and it looks good so far. I may have just been a day too early on my attempt. I tried a video in MPC that failed just to make sure that I had a good test subject. Uninstalled what I had and installed again with the one day newer and the test video worked. Actually if I just let a DVD play MPC worked prior but it would crash if I went to the navigate option and selected to go to the title or root menu to bypass the unending list of trailers that MANY DVD s have.

Of course this is just one test of one DVD but the result was very promising. Thank you for noticing the time span and suggesting that I try again. :)

Doddie wrote:
Jay, an MPC-HC update was released today (25th January), version 1.7.8.
Depending on the timing that you re-installed MPC-HC you might be unaware of this new build?
http://mpc-hc.org/2015/01/25/1.7.8-released/

The changelog makes no mention of Win10 compatibility so it may not help with your issues, but...
http://mpc-hc.org/changelog/

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:52 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

@ Pete; I hope that you don't mind that I left my thread on 10 alone and just used yours instead of adding to mine. It just seemed to make sense to have all in one place especially since I'm not experimenting a lot any more and most of my posts will actually involve stuff you found anyway. :mrgreen:

Hi Jay

As long as everyone is cool, I am fine with it. I plan on keeping on playing as it is helping me.

Pete

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing