Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:18 am 
welcoming committee

I have windows XP installed on Windows 7 Virtual Machine and everything is working correctly, the screen displays to the full height and width and I am able to access the tool bar at the top of the screen, Action, Tools etc;

Last night I installed Windows 98SE on Windows 7 Virtual Machine and I am unable to display the screen to full height-width nor can I access the tool bar at the top of the screen. Any way to fix this?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Did you try to install the VM additions? If so they probably failed. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote on installing a virtual machine.

"If you are setting up Windows 98SE™ or Windows ME™ as the guest operating system, the stated method of installing Virtual Machine Additions will not work. These Windows versions are not fully supported in Virtual PC 2007™. They will still work. When the install dialog comes up for the Additions, cancel out of it. Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Windows folder in Additions. Double click on setup.exe within the Windows folder. The Additions will install properly with this method."

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Did you try to install the VM additions? If so they probably failed. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote on installing a virtual machine.

"If you are setting up Windows 98SE™ or Windows ME™ as the guest operating system, the stated method of installing Virtual Machine Additions will not work. These Windows versions are not fully supported in Virtual PC 2007™. They will still work. When the install dialog comes up for the Additions, cancel out of it. Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Windows folder in Additions. Double click on setup.exe within the Windows folder. The Additions will install properly with this method."

I do not see any "install dialog for the additions"

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 pm 
welcoming committee

He has no toolbar across the top of the VM (that's where the Install addtitons is located) Try changing the screenn resolution within the VM itself and see if that does anything for you.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:21 pm 

Is it that there is no tool bar at the top or is it that the mouse is 'trapped' within the virtual machine? If the mouse is trapped hit either the right ctrl or alt key to release the mouse. Are you in full screen mode? Can't off hand remember the release for full screen but try alt-f... No, it is alt-enter.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Is it that there is no tool bar at the top or is it that the mouse is 'trapped' within the virtual machine? If the mouse is trapped hit either the right ctrl or alt key to release the mouse. Are you in full screen mode? Can't off hand remember the release for full screen but try alt-f... No, it is alt-enter.

Well, a little bit of everything here......first of all, changing from 640x480 to 1024x768 made the window fill the screen on Windows 7 Home Premium VB . I was also able to free the mouse with right alt-ctl-left arrow but the top menu bar does not allow changes like you can do with the Oracle VB. The action button just gives you the option to shut down and so does the control-alt-delete

None of this works on Windows 7 Pro. I was not able to free up the mouse or enlarge the screen. The same alt-ctl-left arrow on windows 7 pro just turns the whole screen side ways. I have had so many quirks with Windows 7 Pro that I am beginning to think it is a downgrade from Home Premium.

Attachments:
vm1.jpg
vm1.jpg [ 40.75 KiB | Viewed 22081 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 pm 

First off you need to install the Integration Components. That is the additions. If the install fails go back to what I quoted a couple of posts ago.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
First off you need to install the Integration Components. That is the additions. If the install fails go back to what I quoted a couple of posts ago.

I have clicked on install Intergration Components but "nothing" happens. It does not do anything or take me anywhere. I just tried it on the Windows Home Premium Computer and it does allow me to open the CR/ROM drive and click on "set-up" but when I do, all I get is a message that the CD needs to be run on a later version of Windows

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:42 pm 

That is why I said to cancel out of the install dialog. You use Windows Explorer to navigate the CD drive to the Windows directory and use the 'startup' or install' in that folder.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:12 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
That is why I said to cancel out of the install dialog. You use Windows Explorer to navigate the CD drive to the Windows directory and use the 'startup' or install' in that folder.

There is no startup or install in the Windows Directory..........you will have to be a bit more specific and give me the exact file path to get me to where you want me to go

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 am 

If you use Windows Explorer and navigate to the CD drive there should be a Windows folder on the virtual CD. There should be an install or setup file in that folder. I can't do any better as I haven't even installed Virtual PC in Windows 8 yet.

Keep in mind that I am assuming that the file structure for the integration virtual CD is the same between Virtual PC 2007 and the current Virtual PC, they may not a actually be the same. You may well do better with VirtualBox. Virtual PC is not intended to run Windows 98 even though it will do so.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:45 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If you use Windows Explorer and navigate to the CD drive there should be a Windows folder on the virtual CD. There should be an install or setup file in that folder. I can't do any better as I haven't even installed Virtual PC in Windows 8 yet.

Keep in mind that I am assuming that the file structure for the integration virtual CD is the same between Virtual PC 2007 and the current Virtual PC, they may not a actually be the same. You may well do better with VirtualBox. Virtual PC is not intended to run Windows 98 even though it will do so.

This is what I get when I navigate to the CD ROM drive in Windows Explorer:

Attachments:
vm2.jpg
vm2.jpg [ 74.59 KiB | Viewed 22062 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 am 

Then it is quite possible that you cannot install the integration features for Virtual PC with 98 as the guest OS. You would have to drop back to Virtual PC 2007 which would kill your XP Mode or go with VirtualBox.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Then it is quite possible that you cannot install the integration features for Virtual PC with 98 as the guest OS. You would have to drop back to Virtual PC 2007 which would kill your XP Mode or go with VirtualBox.

Well this all works well in Windows 7 Home Premium so I guess I will have to let it go at that. Thanks for your help

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 am 

If it all works fine in Home Premium it should work just as well in Pro. This is not the first issue you have had with Pro where the same thing is fine with Home. I'd be looking at what is wrong with your Pro install or differences in hardware. For instance does your Home system's processor support hardware virtualization while the Pro's processor does not? Are both systems totally up to date as to Windows Updates? Look at stuff like that.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:13 am 
welcoming committee

Home Premium doesn't come with the XP mode interface, so he is probably using the Virtual PC2007 on the Home Premium one. If you have a Windows 98 Virtual Machine that works on your Home Premium machine, just copy the the actually virtual hard drive file over to the Pro machine and create a new Virtual machine and say to use an existing machine when you run the setup wizard.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 am 

Very true, has to be using 2007 on Home.

I have a bit of concern as to using the VHD from 2007 on the Pro machine with the current Virtual PC. If the guest Additions were installed on the Home system they could cause havoc on the Pro's Virtual PC that is not set up to use them but rather wants the integration controls. Probably really nothing that an alt-ctrl-del couldn't get out of... probably worth a try...

With things that have happened, like the lac of the option to open an ISO file with the Windows ISO burner, I still think the Pro system needs a look see.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:27 am 
welcoming committee

I have been using a Win 98 SE Virtual Machine that I think I created back using VPC 2004, work without any issue on my Windows 7 Pro insstallation of VPC through the XP mode Interfacings.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 am 

OK, cool. :) I've never tried porting from 2004/2007 to the current.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:44 am 
welcoming committee

What the main problem is, is that the Win98 VM can't use the VMadditions file that comes with the XP Mode VirtualPC. The file is actual a .msi file and not a full setup.exe file. What you can do though is use a copy of the VPC2007 VMadditions file. Just copy the VPC2007 version of the .iso addtions file to the Pro computer and mount it as the CD-ROM before starting the 98 machine. Then once it boots you open up the CD-ROM drive from Windows Explorer and run the setup from there.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If it all works fine in Home Premium it should work just as well in Pro. This is not the first issue you have had with Pro where the same thing is fine with Home. I'd be looking at what is wrong with your Pro install or differences in hardware. For instance does your Home system's processor support hardware virtualization while the Pro's processor does not? Are both systems totally up to date as to Windows Updates? Look at stuff like that.

On my Windows 7 Pro Computer,I have Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1 with an Intel Core i5 2320 CPU @3.00GHz and it supports hardware virtualization and it is totally up to date with Windows Updates. As for the install, the computer was new in April and came with the OS installed, 8gb RAM 64 bit so I don't know what to look for there.

On my Windows Home Premium Computer, I have Service Pack 1 with a Pentium Dual Core CPU @2.70GHz and it does not support hardware virtualization, up to date with Windows Updates. It has 4gb RAM and is also 64 bit. This OS has been re-installed several times.

While there are difference in the installed hardware such as the display adapters and the cd/rom devices, you would think that the Pro machine should operate as well as or better than the Windows Home Premium.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:37 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
What the main problem is, is that the Win98 VM can't use the VMadditions file that comes with the XP Mode VirtualPC. The file is actual a .msi file and not a full setup.exe file. What you can do though is use a copy of the VPC2007 VMadditions file. Just copy the VPC2007 version of the .iso addtions file to the Pro computer and mount it as the CD-ROM before starting the 98 machine. Then once it boots you open up the CD-ROM drive from Windows Explorer and run the setup from there.

It is a .msi file but not sure how to mount it as the CD-Rom before starting the 98 machine

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

You go into the settings of the Virtual Macine, on the left side select the DVD Drive, on the right you will have the option to select an .iso file to be the DVD drive. Browse to the file you want to use.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:59 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
You go into the settings of the Virtual Macine, on the left side select the DVD Drive, on the right you will have the option to select an .iso file to be the DVD drive. Browse to the file you want to use.

I think this is where you want me to go but I am unable to free the mouse in Windows 7 Pro in order to click on that top tool bar.

Also, if I go to an earlier version of VM such as VM2007, do I need to uninstall or somehow remove the version that Windows 7 Pro is running now?

Attachments:
settings.jpg
settings.jpg [ 94.1 KiB | Viewed 22016 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Nope you do this with the Virtual Machine shut down. Shut down the Win 98 VM. Go to the start button > All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows Virtual PC. This will open up the window where you can manage. Highlight the Win 98 one and select the Settings from the menu, then clcick the DVD drive. The VPC2007 VMAdditons works just fine with the VirtualPC that comes with XP MOde, you don't need to unintsall anything.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 58.67 KiB | Viewed 21656 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines