Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:48 pm 
welcoming committee

The download & installation of the Win 10 Creators Build upgrade appeared to have gone well last night, and I spent some time this morning getting my privacy and other settings adjusted. But then when I tried to run my Oracle VM XP Pro, nothing happened when I clicked on the desktop icon. I even tried running it as Administrator, but again nothing happened....the hour glass appeared for a couple of seconds and then nothing else happened.

I then ran the Program Compatibility Trouble Shooter and it said that VirtualBox is an incompatible program. I'm guessing that I need to upgrade VirtualBox to a newer, compatible version if there is one.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to upgrade without losing my XP programs/data. And I'm not even sure what version I am currently running, but it is the original one I installed (with Jay's help) a year or so ago.

So I need some help/advice on how to get my VM XP Pro running under the Creators Build. Is there a version of Oracle VM that will run under this Build? If so, how do I upgrade? Or is there another solution.

Please be kind, because when I start working with VMs, I am usually in over my head. Jay threw me a life-jacket last year and helped me with all the installations. Now I probably need a pair of water wings.......thanks in advance. :?

Edit: I did verify that I am currently running VirtualBox version 5.1.2

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

I have no experience with Virtual Box, but your VM of XP should be a file or files for the drive that is XP and the settings for that VM. An upgrade of Virtual Box the program should not impact your saved Virtual Machine unless the upgraded VB program requires a new structure of the Virtual Machine.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As Steve said updating VirtualBox will not affect your XP setup. Actually it probably WILL affect XP but not where it is a problem. You will most likely need to reinstall Guest Additions to the version that matches the latest version of VirtualBox..

Do NOT uninstall the current version of VirtualBox. Let the installer take care of old files. If this does not work hang on as I'm attempting to install to check. So far VB is installed and a hard disk is created.

If my attempt fails VirtualBox is not YET compatible. In this case you could just wait until VB offers another version or roll back Windows 10.

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:08 pm 
welcoming committee

@@ Jay & Steve - I just got home from a dinner party and it's past my old bedtime, lol. So I will check with Jay's results in the morning and go from there. I did find out that the latest version of VirtualBox is 5.1.22.

Thanks guys.........

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Total success. :)

The current version is Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2). I believe that you will have success if you uodate to this version. VirtualBox Extensions will gripe on running. Just install the new extensions. The dialog for this is not all that good and will seem as if there is an issue at times. Just continue through the pest. You MAY get alerts as to hardware and driver installs. Just allow all.

Don't forget to go to Oracle and download the ISO file for the newer Guest Additions as they will probably be needed.

In Win 10 latest build I had no problem setting up the machine. Since I had success in this I would think that, once you follow through with ALL the updates, you should be OK.

If you want to be totally safe in this just make a copy of your virtual machine files to another location but I have advised doing this anyway as a sort of virtual system image.

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:06 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. That is encouraging. I will start the process soon, after my coffee 'kicks in'.

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, my coffee kicked in, I followed your steps for updating VirtualBox & Extensions to version 5.1.22, and all is well. My VM XP Pro is now running under the Win 10 Creators Build. I never saw where to download the newer Guest Additions ISO, but I guess they are not needed because everything seems to be working as before. And as you & Steve said, the update of VirtualBox did not effect my XP Pro setup.

Thanks again for you guidance through the VM update process. :urock:

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines