Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:04 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Jay - Help! Help!

As detailed in another (long) post, you helped me use VirtualBox to install VM XP Pro so I could run some old programs. Everything was going well until today. I suddenly encountered a problem that prevents me from opening VM XP Pro.

Here's what happened:
- Windows Media Player does not play well with VirtualBox and sometimes I can't open XP Pro until I turn Media Player off. Today I forgot to do this.
- So instead of XP Pro starting up, I get the screen apologizing for the inconvenience that windows did not start successfully and giving me the choices of opening in Safe Mode,..., Last Known Good Configuration, or Start Windows Normally. But none of these choices work...whichever I choose counts down and then cycles back to this same screen.
- So at that point I have no choice but to close the VM; when I do, I get the following error message
Failed to open a session for the VM XP Pro. The machine is already locked for a session (or being unlocked). Result code = 0x80BB0007.

Needless to say, I am at a complete lost as what to do next. Would appreciate any help you can provide........ :?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I hope that you have used the 'tip' I always state when virtual machines are involved and have copied the virtual hard drive to a backup file. This is sort of like a virtual system image. You just make a copy of the virtual hard drive. If you have a backup just replace the active virtual drive with the copy.

Lacking the above the only real suggestion that I can make is to boot the virtual XP VM to the install media and attempt to do a repair install.

OH! While I have no idea as to if it would help it would not hurt to do a System Restore to a point before the issue. Attempt to do the System Restore within the VM first if possible. If I remember correctly a boot to the XP install media will include the option to access restore points. If that fails try a System Restore on the host system. I have no idea if either will help in your case but I'd try both as I can't see how it would hurt.

I can't really say if the attempt of a repair install or system restore would be the better to try first... flip a coin...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I thought I had used your 'tip', but embarrassingly I am having trouble identifying my virtual hard drive backup.

As you may recall, I installed VB and XP Pro on my D drive; this drive is one of three partitions on my 2nd physical hard drive (my 1st drive being my SSD). If I look at the contents of my D drive, I see two folders - Virtual Box and XP Mode. Within the XP Mode folder I see the file Windows XP Mode.vhd @1.55 GB.

Since I use Acronis to backup my D drive, I can go to the backup drive and also see the file Windows XP Mode.vhd. Same with my Macrium backup of the D drive. So at this point I'm thinking one of these must be my virtual drive backup that I want to use to replace my non-working active virtual drive.

However, if I do as you suggested months ago and go into the Settings/Storage tab of VB to see my virtual hard drive, what I see is the file XP Pro.vdi @16.7 GB (this is a virtual disk image file?).

So now I am confused as to which is my virtual hard drive backup that I should use. :?

However, since I have my entire D drive backed up using both Acronis and Macrium, couldn't I simply use one or the other to do a restore of this drive to solve my VM XP Pro problem?

In regards to doing a System Restore, I can't do it within the VM XP guest since I can't open a session. And since my host Win 10 system is running so well, I am reluctant to do a System Restore of it unless all else fails.

So Kind Sir.....what is your recommendation on what my next step should be (be nice, Jay). :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:37 pm 

As long as the image is from before the issue started go ahead and restore an image to D:.

The XP Mode folder/file would be a left over from when you were running XP Mode in Windows 7. It has nothing to do with your current VM.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:51 pm 
welcoming committee

I kinda thought the XP Mode stuff was a carryover from my Win 7 days.

But before I restore an image to D, I have a question.

If I look at the current contents of my D drive, I see the two folders XP Mode and VirtualBox. But no where in the VirtualBox folder do I see what looks like a virtual hard drive. Why is that, or am I missing something?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Problem Solved!! Even a blind squirrel comes up with an acorn every now and then. :mrgreen:

I went back to the Settings/Storage tab of VB to see my virtual hard drive, which was the file XP Pro.vdi. So I went to C:\Users\BillBarry\Virtual Box VMs\XP Pro\XP Pro.vdi. I then right-clicked on this file, went to Properties and selected Previous Versions tab. From there I could restore this image file from a week ago.

So I can now open a session of VM XP Pro. :D :D

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:53 pm 

Good job! :) Too often Previous Version gets overlooked.

You won't see your virtual drives in the VirtualBox folder as that is the install folder for VirtualBox. Your virtual drives would be stored wherever you selected. If you did not select a specific location the default is a folder within your User folder

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Good job! :) Too often Previous Version gets overlooked.

You won't see your virtual drives in the VirtualBox folder as that is the install folder for VirtualBox. Your virtual drives would be stored wherever you selected. If you did not select a specific location the default is a folder within your User folder

And that's where I found it. Now I think I understand what is going on, and I once again appreciate all your help.

BTW, since I use File History to backup my data files, I also found my virtual drive there.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The XP Mode folder/file would be a left over from when you were running XP Mode in Windows 7. It has nothing to do with your current VM.

Jay, since Windows Virtual PC no longer resides on my Win 10 computer, is there any reason I can't delete these leftover XP Mode folder & files still residing on my D: drive (the drive where I installed VB)? That way, Acronis and Macrium won't keep backing up these leftover files when it does a backup of D:.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 pm 

I see no issue with deleting the folder but would re-name or move first just to be sure.

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines