Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:06 pm 

I am curious to see if anyone here in this forum have use " Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 or 8 " on your computer. I don't know if that is a good idea for me to do or just leave as is with Windows 10. My operating system of Windows 7 Home Premium is gone from the old hard drive which is dead and got a new one this evening with no operating system in it. My main operating system of Windows 10 Home Premium is on the main drive with Solid State Drive. If anyone of you think that is a good idea to do dual boot with 2 operating system and please explain how. I did googled this evening and see several links that talk about the operating system of Windows 7 or Windows 8 already is in the system and add Windows 10. That is not what I am looking for about how to install Windows 7 which I still have the disk to install.

Let me know about this if that is worth try or don't bother try to do with dual boot with 2 operating systems in the computer.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:32 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I cannot answer your question unless I know why you want to dual boot...

If it is just for the sake of having both I'd advise against doing a dual boot.

If you have an actual reason for wanting a dual boot you can do it but it will take a little work after installing Windows 7 to the second drive. If everything is OK with your system and all your software works I would not bother.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:14 am 

After have a second thought about dual boot and decided to stick with Windows 10 on my desktop.

Thank you again,

John

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:49 pm 
welcoming committee

John, I dual boot Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 Pro on my old computer and rather like it. I did this several months ago with Jay's guidance. Turned out to be a fairly easy process.

The first thing I did was set up a dual boot using two copies of Win 7 Ultimate. Then I upgraded the 2nd copy to Win 10. Why did I do this? So I could play around with Win 10 to decide if I liked it, before I did the upgrade on my new computer. Also, Win 7 was one of my favorite OS's, and many of my friends and family still use Win 7. So if they contact me with questions, I still have my Win 7 configuration to try and figure things out for them.

Turns out, I did like Win 10 so that is what I'm now running on my new computer. But I'm still running Win 7 and Win 10 in dual boot on my old computer and will probably keep it that way.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:11 pm 

BB your situation was a bit different. You started with 2 installs of Windows 7 and upgraded one to Windows 10. This automatically took care of the boot loader to handle both.

In John's case he is starting with Windows 10 and is thinking about adding Windows 7. If he installs Windows 7 on the second drive the option to boot to Windows 10 will be gone and the system will boot straight to Windows 7. This is because Windows 7 'knows' nothing about Windows 10 so cannot detect to set up the dual boot menu.

Of course Windows 10 can be added to the boot menu easily with EasyBCD but it may be difficult to give instructions on the forums; of course screen shots could be supplied to act as a step by step guide but it would be difficult for me to supply the screen shots as I am not in a situation where I could go through the process to capture the screen shots.

Hmmm, I suppose that, if John decides that he wants to do this, I could use EasyBCD to remove the Windows 10 option on my laptop and then go through the process of adding it back. That is actually workable and I'd be willing to do so.

Another option would be to install Windows 7 to the new drive and then use which ever F# key on his system that would give the boot menu and he could chose which drive to boot from. If this option were to be used I'd want the SSD holding Windows 10 to be disconnected during the install of Windows 7 on the new drive. This is likely the better option in this case.

Still, before anything is persued in this direction we need to get him successfully booting to Windows 10 per thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1383

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 pm 

My problem is that I already have Windows 10 Home Premium 64X in solid state drive and I do have the disk of Windows 7 Ultimate 64X but it's not on my desktop. My question is that " Will that work to install Windows 7 beside already have Windows 10 on my desktop or not possible. " Or do I have to uninstall the operating system of Windows 10 then reinstall them again? I don't know much about this. Maybe you can tell me how to install in the proper way and what else do I have to get to download the program like VMWare or something that can dual boot the desktop.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:35 pm 

First you have to decide if you REALLY want to run both operating systems or if you just want to do this because you can.

Yes, as long as your Windows 7 install disk is a retail version, you can do this. It would probably work even if the Windows 7 install disk is OEM as long as it is associated with the system in question.

Before I kill my dual boot on my laptop and re-do to help I need to know that you have an actual reason for wanting to do this. If it is a case where someone told you it is possible and you just want to see if it actually is does not make for a good reason. I can assure you that it is quite possible. Just wanting to be able to run both operating systems is a good enough reason but take a day and decide if you REALLY want to do so.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:46 pm 
welcoming committee

John, Jay is absolutely right......my situation was different and much easier, as the boot loader issue was taken care of automatically.

I dual booted my old computer simply to see if I was going to like Windows 10 before I upgraded my new computer. I did like it so I upgraded my new computer. I then chose to leave my old computer in dual boot mode since it already was.

If Windows 10 is going to be your preferred OS, then I don't think you should complicate things by trying a dual boot. Now knowing your situation, I recommend you forget about dual boot and let Jay concentrate his efforts on getting your computer to boot to Windows 10. He can certainly do that if he isn't sidetracked killing his laptop to re-do a dual boot just to show you how. That's just my two-cents.........

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting