Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Corrine wrote:
I've subscribed to your topic so that I can keep an eye on the progress. Nicely done on adding the information on the steps you have taken. I'm sure you noticed how busy the forum is. I hope it won't be too long of a wait for a reply.

I know they are busy, and the website says it might take as long as 48-72 hours for a reply. But in my case it's been about 120 hours (5 days) and I have yet to hear a word. My post is simply getting pushed further and further down the queue. I played by all the rules, followed all their directions, and attached the zip file they requested. Yet nothing in response. :dunno:

Maybe you are giving them too much free advertising, lol.

Unfortunately with so many new threads, they sometimes miss threads that show two posts or just plain are buried. It did finally get picked up as I received an email notice of a reply. https://www.sysnative.com/forums/window ... post212564

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:14 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Installing 1709 directly from physical media could help. That is how I do my major version updates. Here is a link to help you create physical media. You can create on USB or DVD. My preference is DVD.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Jay, two related questions, as I am going to try and install 1709 directly on my friend's Toshiba laptop:
(1) My friend did the free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 Home a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure he has a true license number required to create an installation media. Where would I find such a license number on his Toshiba?
(2) A couple of years ago, following your instructions, I downloaded the tool and created an ISO file, from which I then created a Windows installation DVD. I labeled the DVD as a Win 10 Pro DVD. Could I now use this DVD to reinstall Win 10 Home on his Toshiba using his license number (if I can find it)? Or do I need to create another ISO & DVD?

Thanks..........

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To do a clean install you would need a Windows 10 key code. The old Windows 7 code will no longer work.

The exception would be if your current DVD is from before the free upgrade ended and you installed Windows 7 first. I believe that as long as the install media is from before the free upgrade ended it will still upgrade from Windows 7. I have not tested this. To install Windows 7 again I would use the system's recovery disks or partition. If you do a clean install of Windows 7 with a retail disk you will need a key code. While you can probably find a code on a label on the bottom of the laptop it would likely not work with a retail install.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:25 pm 
welcoming committee

As a closure to this thread....I was able to successfully reinstall Win 10 Home on my friend's Toshiba laptop using the Media Creation Tool. No key code was needed, as Microsoft found the electronic version on his laptop. My internet is so slow that I got a good night's sleep while the O/S software was downloading. Thanks to all who gave me help and advice.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery