Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:26 pm 
welcoming committee

I would like to follow Jay's Guide to Virtual PC 2007 and see if Windows 98 SE can be installed on Windows 7 Home Premium.......very good guide by the way. The problem I am having at the moment is that Windows 98 SE is already installed on a Windows Virtual PC.......and this installation does not work very well in that you have the mouse problem and the window size cannot be enlarge and such.

So, the question is: Do I need to remove this Windows Virtual PC installation before I download and install Windows Virtual PC 2007 and is this just a matter of going to the files location under C:\users\myname\AppData\local\microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines and deleting them?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, you should uninstall the curent Virtual PC befor installing 2007. Yes, you can just delete the 98 VM files. You could keep the VHD file and just point 2007 to it's location but, since you have issues with the install, I'd start from scratch.

I thought that you already had 98 and VPC 2007 going or was that on the Pro box?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:43 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Yes, you should uninstall the curent Virtual PC befor installing 2007. Yes, you can just delete the 98 VM files. You could keep the VHD file and just point 2007 to it's location but, since you have issues with the install, I'd start from scratch.

I thought that you already had 98 and VPC 2007 going or was that on the Pro box?

Ok, I will delete everything and start from scratch.

The only working version of 98 that I have is on the Pro Computer. I was looking at some info on how to get USB to work on a VM which would be nice if it can be done. The IE5 browser on the Pro Computer works fine on most sites but has trouble with anything that is running java. I can't even log into my ISP with 98 because of that.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:58 pm 

Sorry but, as David brought up in another thread, there are sites that just are not going to work with IE5 in Windows 98. If you can find a download for it you MIGHT be able to use IE6 but can't say for sure.

With Virtual PC 2007 you will NOT have USB. There are ways to get it such as setting up a server but that is beyond the scope of what we can cover here on a forum. Your best bet is to set up a shared folder in the settings for the 98 VM and just use that folder to access things. Say you wanted to use something on a flash drive in 98, you would just copy from the flash drive to the shared folder where you could then access in 98.

LOL! So when are you going to install Windows 3.1? Don't forget to install DOS first. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:14 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sorry but, as David brought up in another thread, there are sites that just are not going to work with IE5 in Windows 98. If you can find a download for it you MIGHT be able to use IE6 but can't say for sure.

With Virtual PC 2007 you will NOT have USB. There are ways to get it such as setting up a server but that is beyond the scope of what we can cover here on a forum. Your best bet is to set up a shared folder in the settings for the 98 VM and just use that folder to access things. Say you wanted to use something on a flash drive in 98, you would just copy from the flash drive to the shared folder where you could then access in 98.

LOL! So when are you going to install Windows 3.1? Don't forget to install DOS first. :mrgreen:

I thought maybe I should go up into the attic and look for my Tandy Color Computer. I think it had about 64kb total......... :rofl2:

I have already set up a shared folder but it's a bit cumbersome........maybe I just need to get used to it. :-) Looks like doing anything that works with Windows Home Premium as far as setting up VM 2007 PC is out because I get the following message:

Attachments:
vm2007.jpg
vm2007.jpg [ 55.16 KiB | Viewed 8171 times ]
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:00 pm 

It is not supported as in getting support from Microsoft but I thought it would still install and run, mayhaps that was Vista. See if you can find a download for Virtual PC 2004 or else use VirtualBox.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:07 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It is not supported as in getting support from Microsoft but I thought it would still install and run, mayhaps that was Vista. See if you can find a download for Virtual PC 2004 or else use VirtualBox.

It is blocked from installing on Home Premium

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 pm 

Then see if Virtual PC 2004 is available or use VirtualBox. With VirtualBox you would have USB.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:06 am 
Site Admin

See: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/08/19/running-virtual-pc-2007-on-windows-7.aspx
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:03 am 

Hi, Steve, I thought that you could install the thing but he stated that he had already removed the current Virtual PC...

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you can, but as that article states, there are scenarios where it won't install -- and that may mean that Virtual PC with XP mode for Windows 7 is still partially there...
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows