Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:39 pm 
welcoming committee

This may be associated with an NDetect.exe problem that I had about a year ago. The only thing different is that I do not get an error message stating that NDetect has failed.

So, what is happening now is that I reboot my computer (Win 7 Pro 64bit) and it does not connect to the network so what I have to do to get on line is to go to the control panel>device manager>Network Adapters> and select Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller. Then with that open, I have to disable it and then re-enable it and the network is recognized and I can get on line.

To further complicate matters, this does not happen with every reboot, maybe about every 5th time or so. It is quite a pain so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

NDetect is part of Norton Internet Security. Do you have it installed and active as your antivirus?
I don't know that it is the cause of the problem,, though. It may be a victim since the network adapter as failed and needs a reset. It could be the cause of the network adapter problem, though.
The fact that you can reset the adapter (hint - right click the network icon in the notification tray and select troubleshoot problems -- it will go through some steps and reset the adapter for you -- less keystrokes when the problem happens!) and all is well, along with the random nature of this suggests that the adapter is getting hosed -- perhaps due to a bad driver or perhaps that Norton process banging into it before it is ready to take traffic... And, it will make it pretty difficult to diagnose.

Is this a laptop or desktop PC? If the latter, you may want to purchase and install a cheap network adapter to replace the one built onto the motherboard.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Steve, this is a desktop PC and I do not have Norton as my internet security system. I will have to give your suggestion about the network icon a try the next time it fails to connect. Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:19 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While there is no reason for this to work unless it is a driver communication issue it does tend to help in many cases...

Go to the network adaptor in Device Manager and then the properties for the adaptor. Under the Power Management tab make sure that the check box to allow the system to turn off the device is unchecked. Reboot and see what happens. While this helped mostly with Windows Vista laptops I have also seen it work on later desktop and laptop systems.

Are you sure that it is NDetect and not ntdetect? I don't even know if this applies to Windows 7 and especially 64bit but the description tends to possibly fit your issue. Again this probably does not apply to Windows 7 but figured that I'd throw it out there. Ntdetect is/was a part of Windows that was responsible for detecting hardware on a boot. I just don't know if it is still in use as I believe that it was pretty much a 32bit item.

If it is in fact NDetect did the system ever have Norton installed even as a free trial that was never activated? If so I'd suggest going to Norton's site and downloading and executing the Norton removal tool. The purpose of NDetect within Norton is to verify an internet availability for Norton's update process. This also fits.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:02 am 
Site Admin

FYI -- here's the Norton Removal Tool download page:
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/hom ... file_en_us

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:07 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
While there is no reason for this to work unless it is a driver communication issue it does tend to help in many cases...

Go to the network adaptor in Device Manager and then the properties for the adaptor. Under the Power Management tab make sure that the check box to allow the system to turn off the device is unchecked. Reboot and see what happens. While this helped mostly with Windows Vista laptops I have also seen it work on later desktop and laptop systems.

Are you sure that it is NDetect and not ntdetect? I don't even know if this applies to Windows 7 and especially 64bit but the description tends to possibly fit your issue. Again this probably does not apply to Windows 7 but figured that I'd throw it out there. Ntdetect is/was a part of Windows that was responsible for detecting hardware on a boot. I just don't know if it is still in use as I believe that it was pretty much a 32bit item.

If it is in fact NDetect did the system ever have Norton installed even as a free trial that was never activated? If so I'd suggest going to Norton's site and downloading and executing the Norton removal tool. The purpose of NDetect within Norton is to verify an internet availability for Norton's update process. This also fits.

The device turn off box was checked jay so I unchecked it. So now it is a wait and see what happens. Don't have Norton on this PC but it acts the same as though I did.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:17 pm 

I know that you do not have Norton installed but run the Norton removal tool to which Steve linked anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I know that you do not have Norton installed but run the Norton removal tool to which Steve linked anyway.

I ran the Norton removal tool. After reboot, it could not find my network. Then I tried what Steve had suggested to right click the network icon and MS could not find what the problem was so I disabled and re-enabled the device and that allowed me to once again connect.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:49 pm 

Was the system home built or big box? Have you looked for more current drivers for the device? If the device is on the mother board go to the mother board manufacturer (system builder if not home built) to look for drivers, not Realtek.

One last thing that you could try would be to remove the device in Device Manager and reboot to allow Windows to re-install the thing. Even better would be to remove via Device Manager, shut down the system and remove the network card (NIC), start the system, shut down, put the card back and start up. If the NIC is on the mother board do the same but disable the thing in the BIOS instead of removing a card then enabling in the BIOS instead of putting the card back. The purpose of all this is to allow Windows to reinstall the device.

You can try just removing in Device manager and re-booting but I have seen times when the actual removal of the device and a boot without does a better job then just the re-boot.

After all that I'd take the advice that Steve gave in his first response and replace the NIC. My only concern there is the possibility that it is in fact something dealing with ndetect that we are missing but, after running the Norton removal tool, it should not be there. Often it is cheaper to just replace a device rather than to continue on and on troubleshooting when you consider that time is money.

Oh! One other thought. Is this just for internet access or is there an actual network involved? If just internet kill the current and create a new connection. Can do the same if an actual network but would be a little more work.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I ran the Norton removal tool. After reboot, it could not find my network. Then I tried what Steve had suggested to right click the network icon and MS could not find what the problem was so I disabled and re-enabled the device and that allowed me to once again connect.

The diagnostic didn't automatically reset the adapter?
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:13 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:

The diagnostic didn't automatically reset the adapter?
-steve

The diagnostic did not auto reset the adapter, Steve.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Was the system home built or big box? Have you looked for more current drivers for the device? If the device is on the mother board go to the mother board manufacturer (system builder if not home built) to look for drivers, not Realtek.

One last thing that you could try would be to remove the device in Device Manager and reboot to allow Windows to re-install the thing. Even better would be to remove via Device Manager, shut down the system and remove the network card (NIC), start the system, shut down, put the card back and start up. If the NIC is on the mother board do the same but disable the thing in the BIOS instead of removing a card then enabling in the BIOS instead of putting the card back. The purpose of all this is to allow Windows to reinstall the device.

You can try just removing in Device manager and re-booting but I have seen times when the actual removal of the device and a boot without does a better job then just the re-boot.

After all that I'd take the advice that Steve gave in his first response and replace the NIC. My only concern there is the possibility that it is in fact something dealing with ndetect that we are missing but, after running the Norton removal tool, it should not be there. Often it is cheaper to just replace a device rather than to continue on and on troubleshooting when you consider that time is money.

Oh! One other thought. Is this just for internet access or is there an actual network involved? If just internet kill the current and create a new connection. Can do the same if an actual network but would be a little more work.

There is a network involved. It has booted ok twice now since I disabled and re-enabled the network. I'm really curious as to why this happens every so often and not all the time. If it fails again, I will give some of your suggestions a go.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

It has been working for a week now with two or three reboots per day so maybe the Norton removal tool was the problem. It is also possible that a program called ICQ was the problem. When I did a search to see if the file NDetect.exe was on my computer, that file showed up as part of ICQ so I removed ICQ from the computer as it was not something that I was using.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 pm 

WOW! ICQ... I had pretty much forgotten that one and can't actually remember if I've ever used. It was pretty much the original live chat application and many of its protocols are used on social media sites. It IS still active today but can't say how much it is actually used. Many sites, this one included, offer the input of your ICQ number as a means of contact. According to the following description it has over 100,000,000 registered members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICQ

Good job on the 'forensics'. :) Good job on searching your system for the file name! :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows