Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Mail
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 am 
welcoming committee

I was using my old Microsoft Outlook, but I had some problems with that.

I also used Thunderbird, but any links I put in an email, do not work as links.

Is there a better mail program that I could use in Windows 7?

Post subject: Re: Mail
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Personally I like and use Live Mail.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... rviewother

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 pm 
Fearless Leader

And then, of course, there is the current Outlook (Office Outlook), which is awesome.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:34 am 

I use and like Windows Live Mail, don't have a version of Office that includes Outlook so can't use that. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Purley333 wrote:
I also used Thunderbird, but any links I put in an email, do not work as links.

Thunderbird is possibly unique in that it doesn't enable links while composing messages, until you actually send the message...

Quote:
Unlike some other email programs, Thunderbird does not create a clickable link when you are composing a message and add a hyperlink. If you use the Insert | Link... command, the link is formatted as a link (underlined and colored), but if you click it nothing happens. If you paste or type a link into the body of a message it appears in the text of the message without any indication that it is a link.

This behavior is deliberate. When links are "activated", they are difficult to edit (because when you try to position the cursor within an active link you usually launch the link in the browser).

When a message is sent (or saved as a draft), Thunderbird "activates" links in the message, adding formatting as necessary and making them clickable hyperlinks.

Source, and for troubleshooting steps if your issue goes beyond composing messages, see: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/hy ... ot-working

That said, it also confused the hell out of me when i recently moved from Outlook Express to Thunderbird why links weren't apparently working,... an option to enable links when composing messages would seem like a complete no-brainer to me, not least because i scoured the options menus to find such and almost gave up on Thunderbird when i couldn't understand why they weren't showing as hyperlinks.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks I will give Windows Live a try.

Some VERY odd things happen on this computer. I don't know if it's Outlook or Firefox or the computer Itself. I know I bought it refurbished from the computer store, but the odd things only happen intermittently so how do I go in and say - this computer does strange things. If it's not doing strange things at the time.

What it does - when it feels like it - it will duplicate things. I will click the "x' to close a window, and instead, another identical window appears. It will go on like that until I have six or seven identical windows open! So far as I remember, if I fiddle around - and manage to close out of Firefox and restart it. That seems to fix things. The other day, I got fed up with it. So I went to shut down - and it said "closing 86 windows"!!!

Oh - and another thing. When it goes all screwy like that - it loses my log ins. I had been on here the other day and was logged in. Today, it had lost my login!

I did go in to the store one day and talk to the guy about it - that was when I had the problem with the screen resolution changing. I said I was getting fed up and I should have bought a Mac - to which he said that Macs have problems too.

Maybe I will wait to see what you experts say about my problems before I download Windows Live Mail.

I did not have these problems with Windows XP!!

Here is a photo of what it does. I certainly did not intend to have that open so many times. It does it by itself. It must be the computer because that is not something that is either email or Firefox. Sorry if its too big. But Photobucket got stuck!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:38 am 
Fearless Leader

1. Try a different mouse.
2. Do a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:49 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the advice. I had noticed that when I clicked on Malwarebytes, nothing happened. So I installed Spybot instead and that works. I thought maybe Spybot would fix the problem with Malwarebytes.

I will definitely try a different mouse. The one I am using is a Logitech wireless one.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows