Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:14 pm 

Have a question about this drive in SSD. Can I remove completely with this PQService drive in SSD. I called Acer tech support to inquire about remove the folders and files from PQService and they said that Yes I can because I have the disks of Acer Recovery in total of 3. So if yes, then Can I completely remove the hard drive in SSD with " PQService " in E drive? Is that possible or have to leave it alone and always show in " My Computer "

John

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Is PQService your "hidden" Recovery partition? Is it on the physical hard drive or did you copy it to the SSD?
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:00 pm 

Well I thought that I did uncheck the PQService but I didn't and was copied from the hard drive to SSD. My mistake so guess that I have to live with this in my SSD.

John

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Is this a copied partition? And, is it the recovery partition for the PC? Based on your dialog with Acer Support, I assume that it is. If so, and you have the recovery discs, you can certainly remove the partition and expand the system partition to occupy that space.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:29 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
Is this a copied partition? And, is it the recovery partition for the PC? Based on your dialog with Acer Support, I assume that it is. If so, and you have the recovery discs, you can certainly remove the partition and expand the system partition to occupy that space.
-steve

What if the recovery disks rely on the recovery partition? Just a thought..........

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 pm 

Now I am stuck with this SSD because it doesn't work in boot options but see the drive for this SSD as " G '. I called Kingston tech support earlier today and asked them what to do with this. The tech support said to me via chat online that I should go ahead to do secure erase the SSD. So I did this with Parted Magic and now see that the SSD is unallocated with 227.53 GB. I don't know if I can format this SSD and believe that is a no no to format this SSD. I don't know if I should migrate the operating system from the hard drive to SSD or Disk Copy Wizard or Partition Recovery Wizard or Partition Copy Wizard with the freeware program AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition. I am trying to get my SSD to get allocated not unallocated. Or do you know what is the other freeware program will be able to get unallocated to allocated. I did try with AOMEI BackUpper to disk clone but won't do it because of SSD unallocated disk. Your help would be appreciated to fix this problem.

John

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

My advice is to install a fresh copy of Windows to the unallocated space on the SSD by removing the physical hard drive from the machine and booting from a Windows DVD or Bootable USB with Windows Setup on it. You may wish to check with Acer regarding the use of their recovery discs to "restore" to a smaller SSD.
If you plan to migrate/move the existing System partition to the SSD drive, you want the drive to be unformatted as you will be copying the partition from the hard drive to the SSD. Once moved, if there is additional space on the SSD, you would expand the partition. Depending on what program you use to copy the partition will dictate what you might need to do additionally to designate the SSD as the Primary/Boot partition so that Windows boots from it and how you would make the hard drive be an additional drive with one or more partitions on it. Once it is working to your satisfaction (and Windows may balk about the change of its residence to the SSD with different physical properties -- needing to update itself to reflect the change and perhaps even requiring activation of Windows once again).
I have no experience with the AOMEI program you refer to. I've used Partition Magic in the past to make these kinds of changes to the layout and structure.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:56 pm 

Thank you for your time to reply Stephen. I agree with you that it would be better to have a fresh install of Windows 7 which I have on Acer eRecovery disks with 3 dvds. I will disconnect the cable for the hard drive then install Windows 7. I think that I will leave PQService in the SSD so I will not make a mess again with this like before. Will let you and others know by later tomorrow about how I make out with this.

John

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows