Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Guys

On one of my new Win 7 Desktops I get all the updates including all the office updates. On the other I only get Windows updates, and when I go to the settings box and there is no option to turn on the other updates.

I've check a lot of the stuff Microsoft recommends including checking the version of the update dll. No luck.

Ideas?

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Navigate to Control Panel> Windows Updates> Change Settings> check the option listed as Give Me Updates for Microsoft Products And Check For New Optional Microsoft Software When I Update Windows option.

If that doesn't work, see this discussion:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8871eb574e

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Navigate to Control Panel> Windows Updates> Change Settings> check the option listed as Give Me Updates for Microsoft Products And Check For New Optional Microsoft Software When I Update Windows option.

If that doesn't work, see this discussion:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8871eb574e

Thanks Steve. My problem is that option isn't even there to tick. Looking at that discussion, I'll try the Silverlight thing tomorrow.
I'll let you know.

Pete

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:50 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm curious Pete, did you already have Silverlight installed?

The following is on my Windows 7 Ultimate media system.

When I saw the possible impact on updates by Silverlight I could not resist an experiment... I un-installed Silverlight. Low and behold my option in Updates setting to get updates for other than Windows disappeared. Also an optional update that was there prior to the un-install of Silverlight was also gone. The optional update was just definitions for MSE which would end up happing (I hope) when MSE got around to it but still...

I installed Silverlight again and the settings option and optional update were back.

I don't think that I like this even a little. Take a business system that does not want frills but DOES have Office installed. They do not install Silverlight to help avoid the frills. They are not going to get Office updates and it would seem that they are not allowed to turn on Office Updates unless they do in fact install Silverlight.

Of course my little test is not inclusive of all possibilities but it would seem to me that if I test and find that with Silverlight I can get Microsoft Updates but without Silverlight I can only get Windows Updates... I just cannot see how this can be acceptable to anyone.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Jay:
I'm suspecting that the Silverlight interaction is a defect/bug.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 am 
welcoming committee

Nothing like consistancy. On the machine that had the update option, I do have Silverlight installed. The one I was asking about no. So I installed Silverlight. It didn't ask me anything about updates, but yep, the option showed up and WU found the missing updates. In this case though unstalling Silverlight did not remove the options.

I wonder why I've never relied on Microsoft to protect my system. This is nuts. Steve can you report this?

Pete

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Since I found the reference in the Answers forum and a few more on Technet, I'm quite sure that it is a known issue. Of course, knowing the cause of the issue is quite different from knowing the solution. :-)
I don't have any contacts on the WU team, but I'll see if I can get it passed on.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Since I found the reference in the Answers forum and a few more on Technet, I'm quite sure that it is a known issue. Of course, knowing the cause of the issue is quite different from knowing the solution. :-)
I don't have any contacts on the WU team, but I'll see if I can get it passed on.
-steve

Thanks Steve

GOing to confirm it on my 3rd Win 7 system

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:40 pm 
welcoming committee

No luck on the third system. From what I've read my only option may be an uninstall reinstall of Office. Have another question I"ll ask in the right place first.

Pete

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:17 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
sboots wrote:
Jay:
I'm suspecting that the Silverlight interaction is a defect/bug.

-steve

I don't doubt that Steve but I would think it one that needs fixed sooner than later. ;)

Peter2150 wrote:
Nothing like consistancy. On the machine that had the update option, I do have Silverlight installed. The one I was asking about no. So I installed Silverlight. It didn't ask me anything about updates, but yep, the option showed up and WU found the missing updates. In this case though unstalling Silverlight did not remove the options.

Pete

Pete, when I first un-installed Silverlight I still maintained the full Microsoft Updates and it showed as such when I looked at the settings. This made me say 'hmmm' so I turned of Microsoft Updates and it was then that the option went away.

This, if nothing else, makes me agree with Steve that it is a code bug. It is either a bug or MS is using it as a tool to basically force people to use Silverlight. Since I don't at all buy the second thought I have to go with it being a bug.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Since Silverlight is falling out of favor, I doubt very much that it is being forced. :-)
It was being pushed really hard for a long time. Very little uses it these days.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 am 
welcoming committee

The only reason I have it is for Netflix streaming which uses it. But when you both install it, and then open it by itself, it is clear that it is intended to turn on Microsoft Updates. On the other hand the when you go to update in office it takes you into the control panel loop which is useless since the option to turn on the updates isn't there.

Question is there a registry setting that may control that??

Pete

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows