Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 am 
welcoming committee

I run Win 7 Ultimate (64-based) on an older desktop. Yesterday I got notice that 2 important updates were available: (1) Security Monthly Quality Rollup, and (2) Malicious S/W Removal tool. So I told Windows to download/install, which I guess it did.

But then when Windows tried to start up again I got the message that "Windows wouldn't start maybe due to a recent hardware or software change". The recommended option was to do a 'Startup Repair', which I did. Windows still wouldn't start, so then the recommended option was to try a 'Restore', which I did. This took a looooong time, but Windows finally started.

Of course, the restore lost the two updates that I had just installed, so I guess I will have to start down that slippery slope again this morning. Did anyone else have a similar problem?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:55 am 
welcoming committee

Ok, if something like this were to happen to me, and I was able to recover and try again: First, I would once again ask Windows what updates I need. In your case it was two. I would jot down their KB numbers, then cancel the install: DO NOT ACTUALLY INSTALL THEM.

Then surf the Internet, Google or whatever your favorite search engine is, and see if others have had similar issues with those two particular updates. If you cannot find anything then I would try to install them again. Of course I would say, "Backup your system first for recovery using a good THIRD PARTY program" but evidently you know what you were doing, you were able to recover (but I would still backup using a third party program. Windows7 has a good built-in imaging feature, not System Restore, but a true, real mirror imaging program, slow and clunky, but it works).

But try it again, the first time may just have been some sort of stupid glitch (but backup first!).
Good luck, Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:07 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Acadia.....good advice. But by the time I had received your response, I had already tried the update install again and this time it went OK. So it must have been a 'stupid glitch'.

I do believe in backups. On my Win 7 computer, I use both the clunky Win 7 imaging backup, as well as 2017 Acronis. And my backups go to both another internal and an external drive.

On my primary Win 10 computer, I use the Win 7 imaging, Acronis, and the paid version of Macrium. Plus I also use File History and SyncToy for my data files. And my backups go to both another internal and several external drives.

Thanks again for your excellent response.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:46 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
... I use the Win 7 imaging, Acronis, and the paid version of Macrium...

Excellent. Concerning the built-in Win7 system, slow but reliable. Acronis, I unfortunately no longer know too much about. Paid for Macrium: you nailed it! I always suggest a second program for backup in case Macrium would not work :rofl2: but the built-in Win7 should do you ... and then you would still even have Acronis ... :urock:
Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows