Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
 Post subject: Windows Updates
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:13 pm 
welcoming committee

I decided to get into Windows 7 to talk about my recent updates because I now have a problem. As I mentioned before, it installed 233 updates and shut down last night. Today, it installed 53 more updates for a total of 286. The computer booted ok but now has a problem that has to do with links. As an example, if I go to google and search for anything, the search page opens ok but if I click on any of the links, I get an error message "IE has stopped working" and my only option is to click on shut down. I am using IE 11.

All of this works ok if I do the exact same search on Mozilla.

Post subject: Re: Windows Updates
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Allyson

Go to windows updates, and click on Installed Updates and see how many you have. I have 491 on my machine, which includes a couple of adobe updates, and Office updates. My number should be somewhat smaller as for the last couple of months I've been hiding all but Security,Dot Net, and office updates. No more optional updates.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi Allyson

Go to windows updates, and click on Installed Updates and see how many you have. I have 491 on my machine, which includes a couple of adobe updates, and Office updates. My number should be somewhat smaller as for the last couple of months I've been hiding all but Security,Dot Net, and office updates. No more optional updates.

It says that I have 265 installed updates but for that to be true, it had to have removed some because it installed 286

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I always hate to give this advice concerning Windows Updates as it is tedious. On the other hand it does tend to be affective.

I would do a System Restore to before the IE issue (before the last 53 updates) and then, if IE is again OK, do the 53 updates a couple at a time until the issue returns. This will isolate the problem update. Once the update is found hide the critter and to the rest of the updates.

Another option that is quicker is to go to Tools in IE then Advanced. Once there reset IE. There is no guarantee that this will work and has the disadvantage of probably losing stored passwords and log ins.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:32 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I always hate to give this advice concerning Windows Updates as it is tedious. On the other hand it does tend to be affective.

I would do a System Restore to before the IE issue (before the last 53 updates) and then, if IE is again OK, do the 53 updates a couple at a time until the issue returns. This will isolate the problem update. Once the update is found hide the critter and to the rest of the updates.

Another option that is quicker is to go to Tools in IE then Advanced. Once there reset IE. There is no guarantee that this will work and has the disadvantage of probably losing stored passwords and log ins.

The second option did not work and there are too many programs already put back that will be removed if I use system restore.

There are 53 updates that are not security updates so I have been trying to compare the updates on this computer I'm on now which is also Windows 7 with the one having the problem and then remove those updates. The thing works just fine using the Mozilla Browser so maybe I can sort it out that way.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:00 pm 
welcoming committee

I've had that links not working issue in IE11 before, to resolve it I had to systematically uninstall each version of IE I'd installed until I was back with the stock IE8 that comes bundled with Windows 7... nothing else worked in my case.

That said , I didn't have your issue of Windows apparently trying to reinstall every single Windows Update since you first installed the Operating System so your issue may be different.

Fyi, for me rolling back to IE8 was a headache in itself because I didn't have an uninstall option for IE9 after I uninstalled IE11 then IE10, I did eventually find manual instruction on the MS website to do so but annoyingly they appear to have been removed, or moved.

When I did get back to IE8, and confirmed that links were working, I had something in the back of my mind that said you can't update the out the box Win7 IE8 straight to IE11 so I updated in increments instead of jumping straight to IE11... that may or may not be true today but I think it was then?.. in any case, it didn't and couldn't hurt.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:37 pm 

Doddie wrote:
When I did get back to IE8, and confirmed that links were working, I had something in the back of my mind that said you can't update the out the box Win7 IE8 straight to IE11 so I updated in increments instead of jumping straight to IE11... that may or may not be true today but I think it was then?.. in any case, it didn't and couldn't hurt.

I have done exactly that every time I've installed Windows 7, gone straight from IE8 to IE11, without issue.

Still, since IE11 is broken I see no harm in following your prodedure but would try the following first.
1) Uninstall or roll back IE11.
2) Download the full manual install from
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... tails.aspx
3) Do a fresh install of IE11.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Quote:

Still, since IE11 is broken I see no harm in following your prodedure but would try the following first.
1) Uninstall or roll back IE11.
2) Download the full manual install from
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... tails.aspx
3) Do a fresh install of IE11.

Jay, I am unable to find a way to uninstall or roll back IE11. It does not appear in Programs and Features the way Mozilla and Google Chrome do.

Also would like to know if I delete a KB, can I put it back if it does not help the IE11 problem?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 pm 

You would go to Programs and Features and then View Installed Updates.

By "delete a KB" do you actually mean to un-install or hide? In either case the answer is yes.

1) If you un-install without hiding it will just come back to be installed again.

2) If you mean to un-install and then hide you would need to "un-hide" before it would show again in your updates.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would go to Programs and Features and then View Installed Updates.

By "delete a KB" do you actually mean to un-install or hide? In either case the answer is yes.

1) If you un-install without hiding it will just come back to be installed again.

2) If you mean to un-install and then hide you would need to "un-hide" before it would show again in your updates.

So IE is a KB update?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:32 pm 

Yes, IE11 is a Windows (or KB) update. However it can also be downloaded and installed directly just like most, if not all, updates.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:07 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Yes, IE11 is a Windows (or KB) update. However it can also be downloaded and installed directly just like most, if not all, updates.

Hi Jay, I'm still a bit confused here. I decided to use Mozilla as it seems faster and it works so I removed IE11 from installed updates and it no longer appears on the list of installed updates, however, when I click on the start button and do a search for Internet Explorer, it is listed 3 times. When I checked the properties and file location of these 3, they are all listed under under C>Program Files (x86)>Internet Explorer and all of them are IE8 (not IE11). Since IE8 does not appear on the installed updates list and it does not appear in "Programs and Features", it looks like the only way to get rid of it is to delete the file folder (see pic) but I thought I would ask before doing this.

http://www.picpaste.com/IE-t4TMgqvR.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:10 pm 

If Windows even allowed you to remove the folder it would very likely break Windows. IE8 is a core component of Windows 7. When you removed IE11 the system reverted back to IE8.

I strongly advise that you leave the IE8 folder alone.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Unless you are totally comfortable with imaging and recovering you system, Jay is right, Leave it alone

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If Windows even allowed you to remove the folder it would very likely break Windows. IE8 is a core component of Windows 7. When you removed IE11 the system reverted back to IE8.

Ok guys, I will leave it alone. :)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I'm back on this again as Windows 7 ran 13 updates, one of them being IE11 and the other being KB3035583 so I decided to uninstall them and hide them once more before I change my setting to "Never Never, Ever update.

So, in the process of doing this, you have to restart the computer to remove the updates. Unfortunately, when I did the restart, it seems to be stuck on "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer".

That message has appeared on the screen for over an hour now.

Should I wait?
What should I do?
Should I shut it down manually and try again?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Power down and power back up. The worst case scenario you face is a need to restore your backup image or do a fresh install, but I suspect that neither will be needed.

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:33 pm 

@ Steve: If memory serves Allyson has not yet started doing system images, I hope that I'm wrong.

@ Allyson: While I always hate to recommend a forced shutdown I have to agree with Steve as this seems your only option. I WILL say that I have had to force a shutdown when dealing with updates, sometimes a couple of times. Before giving up on the restart cure try a few times.

If re-starting fails do one more time tapping the F-8 key as the system starts. If the Windows menu comes up select to start in Safe Mode. If Safe Mode boots do a system restore to before the issue.

If Safe Mode fails boot to either a Windows 7 install disk or the Recovery disk that I hope you allowed to be created. If you have either disk go to the repair options and select to fix Start Up issues. Do this at least three times if it fails. If no luck choose to do a System Restore from the recovery or install disk. If memory serves the phrase you would want is something like "Restore your computer to an earlier time.". Some of us, myself included, rely pretty exclusively on system images and tend to forget about system restore. It is still a powerful tool.

As to setting your system to "Never Never, Ever update" I recommend that you do not do but rather set Updates to Notify you about updates but not to automatically install.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Power down and power back up. The worst case scenario you face is a need to restore your backup image or do a fresh install, but I suspect that neither will be needed.

-steve

Thanks Steve, I did it and it worked this time. It removed IE11 and KB3035583 and reverted back to IE10. I checked out IE10 and it serves up the same error as IE11

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm 
welcoming committee

[quote="jaylach]As to setting your system to "Never Never, Ever update" I recommend that you do not do but rather set Updates to Notify you about updates but not to automatically install.[/quote]

Hi Jay, It was set to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" and I have reset it to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". If I get anymore updates now, I will make the "Never Ever" move.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 pm 

Allyson wrote:
jaylach wrote:
As to setting your system to "Never Never, Ever update" I recommend that you do not do but rather set Updates to Notify you about updates but not to automatically install.

Hi Jay, It was set to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" and I have reset it to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". If I get anymore updates now, I will make the "Never Ever" move.

You should get just notifications of updates without any download or install happening unless you choose to do so.

I DO recommend that you DO allow any and all security updates.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:00 pm 
Fearless Leader

I would make no such recommendation, ever. Do not forget who this forum is for - please! It is for novice users, and this is not in one of our Advanced forums. Novices should always do updates, always. Any other advice should be saved for power users in one of our Advanced forums.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows