Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am 
welcoming committee

Heck on my 1st of the two new systems, one of the fans didn't seem to be working. With their help I traced it to a loose wire that was just beyond my reach to fix. Since it's just an hour and half drive I drove it down to them. The actually fixed it while I waited, but rather then take it then they had me leave it so they could let it sit running under load over night. Then they shipped it home to me. I am definitely spoiled by Velocity Micro

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
bbarry wrote:
And if you want to know more about "Why Velocity Micro"

Bbarry, there are at least several excellent outfits making desktops today, I probably don't even know them all, even Peter told me VERY recently to stick with PugetSystems, for reasons that are not simple.
Acadia, I don't understand what you mean when you said "even Peter told me to stick with PugetSystems for reasons that are not simple". I'm just curious because I know Peter is as high on Velocity Micro as I am (see his last post). Do you mind sharing with me these reasons?

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm 
welcoming committee

I can answer that. He has a relationship with them. That is invaluable.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Another question. If I were to purchase a new desktop pc with Window10 Pro, any rough ideas how much space Win10 Pro takes up on the hard drive? This does not need to be exact just a rough ballpark figure. This would NOT be upgrading an older system from Win7 but again, a brand new system.
Thanks, Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Microsoft officially say:

Windows 10:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ifications

Windows 7:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... quirements

Pretty much the same, 32bit version 16GB, 64bit version 20GB.

Take both with a pinch of salt though, my Win7 64bit C partition has already expanded this year following a fresh install during the year to nearly 40GB despite installing everything i can to my D partiton and never ever storing any data intentionally on the C partition... in large part due to the "winsxs" folder being 9.8GB and the "System32 > DriveStore" folder being 4.5GB (overall System32 folder is 7.4GB).

To put that into some form of context, my C:Windows folder alone is now 24.9GB!!

As far as i know there is no safe way to reduce the size of those folders and they will carry on 'bloating' as time passes :(

Windows 10 may of course differ but I'd be surprised if it differs by much, what a selling point that would be for MS if it did ;)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
My current Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 'Windows' folder is 23.5 GB.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm 
welcoming committee

My current Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 'Windows' folder is 24.5 GB (23,661 folders; 111,677 files)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for all replies, now next question. Keep in mind that I have never used Win10 so know nothing about Windows Defender. Can you manually update its malware signatures? With my current anti-Virus and Malwarebytes I am able to click on the System Tray icon and instantly update them. Does Microsoft allow you to do that or does MS keep complete control over Windows Defender? I've been hearing so many good things about Windows Defender that I might not even bother installing an anti-Virus but I would like some control over it.
Thanks yet again,
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia, Microsoft does try to keep the Defender virus definitions updated, but you can also manually request an update. I just let Defender update automatically and run scans automatically (unless I suspect something).

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:22 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, bbarry. There is a reason why I would want to update any security program manually. It is because of what is perhaps my most powerful security program, Shadow Defender, but I won't go into any of the gory details except to say, perhaps I should start simplifying things? Hopefully Windows Defender will let me start the "simplifying" process, we shall see (But even though I may be willing to part with other security programs, they will only be able take my Sandboxie and ShadowDefender away from me when they can unwrap my cold dead fingers, err pc, from around them :gunner: ).

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Acadia - I know you and Pete (and maybe others) are high on Sandboxie and ShadowDefender, and your requirements and environment may be totally different from mine. But I use neither, and in 20 years on my current 3 Window computers, I have never had a security issue. That's not to say that I don't take precautions....I use Defender and the Premium version of Malwarebytes, and I always ensure that both are up to date. Also as a precaution, I use a multitude of system and data file backups. Happy New Year........

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Agreed bbarry. At my age I am trying to simplify things, too many other things more important, want to spend time elsewhere. An up-to-date anti-Virus (Windows Defender?) and Malwarebytes will protect everyone from 99% of the stuff out there; the new Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are sending the hackers from Europe and Asia into therapy. But there is still that final 1%. I know, I am too paranoid, but better to be too paranoid than not, especially when it only takes one or two (at the most) programs to protect you from the rest of EVERYTHING. Most of today's modern pc processors can handle the load, in fact, most of time a lot of their power just sits there doing nothing (unless you are a gamer or something just as weird). If we pay good money for these processor things let's use them, and what better way to use all that excess energy is for just one or two more of the most protective pc programs ever created (at this point).

Again, bbarry I agree with you, your protective setup will protect the SUPER VAST majority. I'm just weird (paranoid) with my security.

But thanks for the Defender knowledge, that is important to me.
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:58 pm 

I'm the same as bbarry I use Windows Defender and let it update itself and do a scan when it wants to. I also have the Premium version of MalwarBytes and that updates itself as well as doing a scan on a regular schedule, it includes the anti-exploit part which protects your browser. I also make backups to external drives. I'm just setting up my new laptop with the same set up. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows