Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Since the last OS upgrade my slideshow that was set up for when the screen/computer was locked is not working. I have removed and added different folders with multiple pictures several times but the slideshow refuses to run. The slideshow function works perfectly in the background mode when I'm using the computer. The pictures change every minute per the settings. How can I fix this? Does anyone else use the slideshow feature? Can someone try setting it up just to see if it works for you? Thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: This shows the initial setup page for slideshow with the error about needing multiple pictures. I also don't have the time interval setting available.
slideshow error_1.PNG
slideshow error_1.PNG [ 26.7 KiB | Viewed 12222 times ]
File comment: This shows the advanced settings for using slideshow in lock screen mode.
slideshow error_2.PNG
slideshow error_2.PNG [ 16.61 KiB | Viewed 12222 times ]
File comment: This shows the settings for using slideshow for my screens background.
slideshow error_3.PNG
slideshow error_3.PNG [ 89.15 KiB | Viewed 12222 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

It works here, Terry, but I am running the Anniversary edition. No Insider builds.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Same here and also no Insider.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 am 
welcoming committee

Patty and Jay thank you for doing that.

What is an insider build? How do you get the Anniversary Edition? All my versions of Win 10 are from Microsoft through their update system. My version is shown in the picture. I mean this feature worked fine. It stopped working after the last MS system upgrade a couple weeks ago.

Attachments:
File comment: My Windows 10 version
Slideshow_Windows 10 build.PNG
Slideshow_Windows 10 build.PNG [ 22.57 KiB | Viewed 12205 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

1607 is the Anniversary edition. The Insider builds are for the upcoming Creator's Update.

I don't use the slideshow option for my lockscreen, so I can't offer any suggestions as to why it isn't working. What does your lockscreen display when the PC goes to inactive and when you first start/wake the machine?

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:36 pm 
welcoming committee

When my screen locks the monitors go dark. When I wake the machine my login screen appears with a single picture that I selected. If I didn't have the picture the background for the login screen would be a random color selected by the Windows. Mean while when I return to the Personalization Settings page there is a message stating I need multiple pictures in my slideshow. I know there are at least 12 pictures in the selected folder.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

I would do a system restore to before the last set of updates and see if it starts working again. It will automatically update again, but maybe you got a bad installation of something. Or it may update again and you may have the problem appear again.

Just an off-the-cuff idea - do you have any plugins to Edge? How about changes to video drivers?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
When my screen locks the monitors go dark. When I wake the machine my login screen appears with a single picture that I selected. If I didn't have the picture the background for the login screen would be a random color selected by the Windows. Mean while when I return to the Personalization Settings page there is a message stating I need multiple pictures in my slideshow. I know there are at least 12 pictures in the selected folder.

When it locks after a delay or when you lock it explicitly with WinKey-L?
What's the sleep timer setting for the monitor?
What screensaver is configured and when is it supposed to kick in or do you have it set to "none"?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 am 

Just to prove that it is a system problem I hope that you have tried another photo album. I also hope that you have gone directly to the current selected album to be sure that there are still 12 items included...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:33 pm 
welcoming committee

@Steve:
Whether the screen locks by time delay or it's forced using Winkey+L the screen is dark, no picture or color, just dark.

@Jay:
I have tried multiple folders, including one I specially made for the slideshow containing 20 photos. Are you suggesting that I had a blonde moment? :rofl2:

I don't have time today but tomorrow I'm going to try as Patty suggested and do a system restore. I have recently added two new software, one for a game controller and the other for live video.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 pm 
Fearless Leader

Save yourself some trouble and uninstall those two programs. The live video one first. See if your slideshow returns.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:05 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Save yourself some trouble and uninstall those two programs. The live video one first. See if your slideshow returns.

Will uninstalling this program free the registry enough to allow the lock screen slideshow to work. I was just about ready to reset my Windows 10 and then use the process of the copied System32 installed 3rd party software to reinstall everything.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:21 pm 
Fearless Leader

It often does, Terry. You'll just have to see. If uninstalling that program doesn't do it, keep reading.

Surely you don't need to reset and reinstall? Have you tried a simple system restore?

In your run box, type: rstrui and hit enter. That will bring up the interface.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:28 pm 
welcoming committee

I have spent some time over the last three days resetting my machine for a couple reasons.
  1. Removing the recently installed software programs didn't fix the problem.
  2. I couldn't use restore point which I found very odd.

I used "reset without saving any files". I gradually installed all my necessary software. I have also lightened the installs because I had programs I hadn't used in a long time but were still installed when Windows upgraded to OS 10. I have created multiple backups with this installation so all is good.

Oh and BTW, my LockScreen Slideshow works! :dance3: :nana1:

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 pm 
Fearless Leader

Good, Terry. I did a clean install at one point earlier as well. I was rather forced into it, but actually I didn't mind because it had been in the back of my mind to do a clean install anyway. Like you, there was lots of old stuff that had come forward with upgrades, and I too kept the programs to a minimum when I reinstalled. Much happier than before the clean install. Every once in awhile, you just have to do a clean install. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:17 pm 

Actually I've sort of fallen out of the practice but I used to do a clean install once a year just to clean things out.

To any that consider a clean install of Windows 10 I WILL give a bit of advice. If you upgraded from another Windows version you may well have issues if you try to clean install unless you still have the DVD or USB media that you used to do the upgrade. This would be Windows 10 before the Anniversary Upgrade. If you do not have such media your option would be to download from Microsoft the installer. This will no longer work as the free upgrade period is over and you will be asked for a Windows 10 product key. If you have install media from before the Anniversary upgrade you can just enter the product key from the previous version of Windows but this will not work with the current installer.

Your best bet is to do as Terry and do a Windows reset saving nothing instead of doing an actual clean install by wiping the drive and using install media. In MOST cases this is close enough to a clean install to not matter. Actually, unless you suspect a system infection, you can do a reset with keeping your personal files. All files involved with Windows are still replaced and all apps are gone. You just save a bit of time restoring your data.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Actually I've sort of fallen out of the practice but I used to do a clean install once a year just to clean things out.

To any that consider a clean install of Windows 10 I WILL give a bit of advice. If you upgraded from another Windows version you may well have issues if you try to clean install unless you still have the DVD or USB media that you used to do the upgrade. This would be Windows 10 before the Anniversary Upgrade. If you do not have such media your option would be to download from Microsoft the installer. This will no longer work as the free upgrade period is over and you will be asked for a Windows 10 product key. If you have install media from before the Anniversary upgrade you can just enter the product key from the previous version of Windows but this will not work with the current installer...

I downloaded the ISO file of Windows 10 right after it was released. I have yet to put it on a disc. That should be a project to be done today or this week. Anyway, is this the media you're referring to? If I used this media I would have to input my Windows 7 PK is all? I wasn't sure that would work this far along as I just got a Windows update to SP2 in the anniversary edition.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:01 pm 

Yes, if you have pre-anniversary upgrade media it should work. Of course you would then need to install the anniversary release. In most cases it is easier to just do a reset as you did.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows