Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:12 pm 
welcoming committee

For a short time after our last conversation things went well. However I'm back where we started - no music and now no video.

A full scan with MBAM shows no malware. Windows Defender is running a full scan at the moment, but since it intercepts viruses in real time the problem shouldn't lay there.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Flash, have shut down and restarted the computer, all to no avail.

My computer - an HP Pavillion laptop came with Groove Music, CyberLink Power Media Player 12 and Beats Music installed. I have used those on occassion, but Windows Media Player is my go to program.

Is it possible that there is a conflict between the several media players? I'd like to keep them, it wouldn't bother me to uninstall all but WMP if there is a possible conflict.

Forgot to mention in my signature that my browser is Firefox, if that is important.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:43 pm 
Fearless Leader

DRam, can you give us a bit more info? Is it only in the browser that you have a problem? Do you have sound at all, outside of music applications? (System sounds, for instance, or other program sounds.) Have you looked at device manager? Anything banged out? FWIW, I doubt there's a conflict between programs.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:02 pm 
welcoming committee

A check of the device manager shows no problems. I should have mentioned that my audio runs through a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card to my audio system. After reading your response the audio system was disconnected by pulling the USB plug. Sound and video then played through the computer speakers. While it was playing I connected the Sound Blaster in, and music played through the audio system.

So no it looks as though the problem lies either with the Sound Blaster, the USB, or the multi USB strip I'm using.

I'll bypass the multiple USB connection first. If that doesn't work I'll uninstall the Sound Blaster and reinstall it with new drivers. Drivers for Windows 10 were installed when 10 was installed, but I haven't checked for upgrades.

Final thought: Yesterday was the first attempt to play music or video since taking my computer to the kids house for a week. But the sound card was connected prior to starting the computer. It should have initialized then, shouldn't it?

Edit: In answer to your question about browser / computer only, there was no sound on either.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Problem appears to be solved. When the multi-USB strip is taken out of the loop everything works. Put it back in and the music will not start. Oddly, once music or video is started the multi-strip can be put back in line and the music continues. It works ok for data transfer - my backup disk runs through it with no trouble. Strange.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 pm 
Fearless Leader

Is your USB strip externally powered? If bus-powered, it's not really surprising, as there is only so much power that bus can generate.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Externally powered. And plugged in. Haven't checked to see if anyone else has similar problems, but will.

Thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you don't mind I have a couple of questions...

1) On a search your Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card is a desktop system unit yet you have a laptop. My guess is that your laptop uses the main chip from the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card but not the actual card. Since I have what might be considered an odd setup on my media system I'd love a detailed description of your setup.

2) Including the USB hub (USB strip) how long is the total cable? I have found in the past that a USB cable of not all that much over 12 feet will become unreliable without a booster. Your hub being self powered helps a little but not a lot as this issue is about signal integrity, not power for attached devices.

Something that I did that you MAY want to consider. I have two audio options through my media system. My main audio is HDMI audio handled by my Sapphire AMD R9 380 Series Nitro 4 GB video card (yes, the media system is also setup for games). My main HDMI audio goes from the video card to a 42 inch and a 32 inch HDTV. The HDMI to the 42 inch is straight HDMI cable. The signal to the 32 inch is through a DVI to HDMI cable that has been modified to also carry audio. Since both go through my video card it all ends up on my Yamaha 12 speaker system. In both cases the audio hits the Yamaha system via optical audio connections.

The above was just sort of outline what I have done. Here is the part that you may find of interest. Assuming that your Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card is actually just the audio chip mounted on your laptop's motherboard you should be able to totally bypass the whole USB aspect if your sound system also includes an FM Tuner. You see I also have an audio chip on my media system's motherboard; it is just not the main audio as I use HDMI. However I can set several programs as to what audio is used. To make this all work I got a $20.00 item that plugs in to the 1/8 inch audio out port for the built in audio on my system usually used for a headset. This little unit is actually an FM radio transmitter. Set a preset on your FM tuner to match the signal you select on the transmitter and you are done without the cable length limitations involved with USB.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:42 am 
welcoming committee

The full name is "Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1.Pro" It's a USB sound card (maybe device is a better term) that bypasses the sound chip in my laptop. It connects to my computer with a 4 foot USB to mini-plug cord - the USB strip is 3 feet - Line out goes to VCR in on my JVC AV receiver, audio in comes from VCR out back to the laptop. It has it's own volume control. Software includes an entertainment console with an equalizer, record / play levels, venue sound (auditorium, club, room, etc.) along with two or three other functions.

Neither of my receivers are set up for HDMI - the JVC is a mid 70's item and the late 70's Denon DRA1025R is down for recapping, so that's out. I do have an FM transmitter, but have never thought of using it in the manner your suggest. I'll give it a try.

My laptop does have bluetooth capability, and I have a Bright Play Bluetooth receiver that plugs into my audio receiver. I've used it and it works quite well. However I burn a lot of LP's to Goldwave, edit them as needed, then burn them to CD or R2R tape, so the Sound Blaster is used most of the time. Of course, if the LP sounds good enough it goes straight to tape.

You mention setting different programs to use different sound cards - how does one do that?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 am 
Fearless Leader

I seem to recall seeing situations where there is a conflict among USB devices - does that ring a bell, Jay? I would think you would see that in device manager, but you'd have to look at it while the conflict was occurring.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:12 pm 

@ Patty: I would think it more likely that the USB audio and the on-board audio would have the conflict if there is one. If the USB is always used I'd disable the on-board in the BIOS.

@DRam11: It depends on the program as some will allow and some not allow for switching from the default audio device to another. Let's use Media Player as an example of one that will.
1) Of course open Media Player.
2) Go to Tools, then Options.
3) Go to the Devices tab and double click on Speakers.
4) Use the pull-down menu to select the desired device.
5) Apply and OK your way back out.

While the rest of the system still uses the default audio device Media Player now uses the specific device that was selected.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:23 pm 
welcoming committee

:roll: Thanks for the thoughts on USB / on board audio conflict and information as to selecting preferred audio.
After everything working well yesterday it fell apart again this morning with the external USB out of the loop.
The on board audio is now disabled, we'll see how things work.

Isn't trouble shooting fun? :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 pm 

Actually, yes, I DO consider troubleshooting fun but then I am weird. ;)

From what is going on and the issue seeming to be intermittent I have to seriously wonder if the USB audio device may not be faulty. I just may be time to contact their support especially if the device is still under warranty.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Very well could be. It's been in use since 2012. I'll try uninstalling and then reinstall with the latest drivers. If that doesn't work, and Creative support cannot help, it will be time to look for another external sound card. /

By the way, I dug out the FM transmitter and used it. It works, but doesn't give the best sound. My blueray reciever does an acceptable job, but neither gives line audio in.

Post subject: Update
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Un-install and re-install the sound card with latest drivers apparently did the job. I also relocated the sound card to allow for shorter RCA cables and the side benefit of less stuff on my desk. Perhaps just my imagination but the music sounds better.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:30 pm 

Glad to hear it. :)

Could be your imagination as to the music sounding better but it is also quite possible that it does with the newer drivers.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows