Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you have noticed I've made a LOT of posts in the 'Fun things to do' forum about making Windows 10 pretty. This is all well and good and, to be honest, quite a bit of fun in doing but there are some very nice functional features as well.

One such functional feature involves the free Windows 10 tweaker named Winaero.
http://jaylach.com/downloads/Windows-10-Tweaker.zip
Since the actual download site is next to impossible to get right due to all the other links to other stuff and the fact that the license states that it is free to distribute... I put a direct download on my hosting to make it easy.

Sorry for the long preamble but I felt it necessary to explain why the download goes to my hosting.

Anyway, while this tweaker deals a lot with appearance there are also several functional tweaks such as adding Updates to the Control Panel listing and making Updates set to notify only.

While there are several registry hacks around they just do not seem to work, this does.

If this is done you will get a balloon telling you that updates are available but nothing will be downloaded or installed. Updates are truly set to notify only. The only thing that may be considered lacking is that the prompt if you go to Win Updates just says 'Download'. Just downloading is not the case. If you click Download the updates will download and install. Still I consider it a big improvement as it isn't going to automatically restart the system or anything. While it DOES install if you click download when done it goes to the dialog asking you when you would like to do a restart.

Here is the dialog I now get if updates are available.
Attachment:
notify-updates.jpg
notify-updates.jpg [ 64.87 KiB | Viewed 3712 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows