Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:28 am 
welcoming committee

Having finished updating my daughter's laptop to Win 10's April 2018 Update, I dug out my 12-year-old Toshiba laptop and tried to do the same thing. I keep this laptop as backup and rarely use it so it was really out of date.

It updated to the 2017 version, not 2018. Worse, it hosed up the two Intel wireless network adaptors, so I can't get online. In Device Manager I tried uninstalling both of them and reinstalling, to no avail. Are there other things I can try?

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Did you check on the Toshiba site for updated drivers?

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes I did. They don't even list that old a model on the Website, so no drivers are available.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Does it have a wired connection? If so you can try to update the drivers through the Device Manger and Windows Updates.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

You may be able to install drivers from Intel directly, if not via Windows Update as dvair suggested. Alternatively, pick up a cheap external USB Wireless Adapter to use.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:42 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To begin I don't know that I'd be running Windows 10 on a 12 year old system. My first gut feeling is to restore Windows to the previous version... Roll back Windows to before the upgrade.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:09 am 
welcoming committee

Good suggestions all. Jay, I did roll it back to the previous Win 10 version, the first one from 2016, and that fixed the wireless adaptor problem. However, that opened up another problem: The computer updated itself to another build from that version when I closed it down, and now I can't get anything after the Toshiba logo to come up on the screen. I can see the cursor and move it with the mouse, but the screen is black. Tomorrow I'm going to try running a Win 10 boot and setup disc to see if I can do a clean install. I have nothing on the laptop than cannot be loaded again.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:28 am 
welcoming committee

Sounds like one of those "Fast Startup" issues. There is an option in the Power Options control panel that needs to be changed. Open the Action Center, All Settings. choose System and then Power& Sleep. On the right choose Additional Power Options. On the left you will see "Choose what the power buttons do" select that and when the next window shows up make sure Fast startup is unchecked, you may have to click on the change option that is on the top area of the screen if it is greyed out.

You might try restarting the laptop a couple of times and it might go into recovery mode and then start up for you.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Might also try booting to install media and running a startup repair. Same is true if you created a recovery disk.

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:11 am 
welcoming committee

Turns out all my recovery discs are for a 64-bit system, and this laptop is 32 so they will not run. I found a 32-bit Windows 8.1 backup disk that I bought from Micdrosoft in 2015 and tried the setup on that. It demanded a product key and there wasn't one on the folder it came in. I called Micdrosoft, and after 30 minutes, mostly on hold, I was told that what I bought was just for backup, not an installation disc, so there is no product key. I tried to use that disc to "repair" my Windows 10, and of course that did not work. I just found the Toshiba recovery disk that came with the laptop, and a Vista Ultimate installation disc. I'll work with those tomorrow to see what, if anything, happens.

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:25 am 
welcoming committee

Gerry, go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

download the installation media tool and you can make your own recovery disc. Just have the tool make an iso file for you that you can burn or you can have it make a bootable USB drive. You can do this on any system just download the 32 bit version to make your disc.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows