Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:53 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
"Virus Bulletin celebrates 25th birthday by making all content free.

Neither subscription nor registration required to access content.

Happy birthday Virus Bulletin!

Today it is exactly 25 years since, in the very first issue of Virus Bulletin, Editor Edward Wilding wrote: "We aim to provide PC users with a regular source of intelligence about computer viruses, their prevention, detection and removal, and how to recover programs and data following an attack."

It is an understatement to say that things have changed in the 25 years since then.
Both computers and threats are far more prevalent and more complex than they were in 1989 - at which time there were probably more virus researchers than computer viruses.

Virus Bulletin's focus has changed too: from viruses, via malware and later also spam, to threats in general - and apart from the magazine, we now have the conference and the VB100 and VBSpam tests, all of which contribute to the goal of informing computer users in general, and the security community in particular, about threats, their detection and prevention.

However, today marks an important change that we believe will help us in achieving this goal. As of today, all content published in Virus Bulletin will become freely available - not only do you no longer need a subscription, you don't even need to be a registered user on our website to access the content.

Thought that some might find this of interest.

Full story: https://www.virusbtn.com/blog/2014/07_01.xml

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 pm 
welcoming committee

25 years - really? How did it go so quickly and why aren't computers safer now... Isn't everything better?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Actually the systems I was running 25 years ago were safer than today as you could not hurt the OS as it was on a PROM.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:14 am 

Things have changed in that time, although I've only been using a computer for the last 16 years, blimey where has the time gone.
I don't think you can ever make them fully secure there are too many configurations around. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 am 
welcoming committee

To answer my own question as to why computers aren't safer - well, they are. It's just that we use them for more things such as banking and the bad guys know this. They are just as lazy as anybody else and if they can sit at home and steal your money they are going to do so. And boy do they try. Those are clever but antisocial boys.

It's nice of VB to do this but I wonder where their money is going to come from. Fees from the people being tested? That will start to smell soon enough if so.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security