Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:10 pm 
welcoming committee

While installing a program to this computer yesterday, Malwarebytes kept bothering me with pop-up dialogs like the one attached here saying it had detected Non-Malware. I kept clicking on "Allow Once" and "Exclude Always" but they just kept popping up. Why is Malwarebytes warning me about Non-Malware?
Gerry

Attachments:
MalwareBytes.JPG
MalwareBytes.JPG [ 26.63 KiB | Viewed 13140 times ]

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:19 pm 
Fearless Leader

It's a PUP! :) Potentially Unwanted Programs. You can go into your settings and choose how to handle PUPs. I treat them as malware and quarantine like I would any other malware.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:48 pm 
welcoming committee

I don't understand. It says it is non-malware, so why would I quarantine it? It apparently is triggered by the installation of a program that I want to use. If I quarantine the files, won't that keep the program from running properly?
Gerry

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Ahhh, yes, Gerry, I am going to take a guess on this one and if I am wrong then I can be corrected. Many, many programs try to install stuff on your system that will not actually hurt you. They will not try to steal your identity or hack into your bank accounts. But they will try to install toolbars and other extra sludge that begs for your attention, harmless but annoying and gathering information on you to throw your browser more specific ads.

I believe that Malwarebytes is advanced enough to detect even those things, again, harmless but unwanted. That is why, I am guessing, it is called non-Malware; it will not hurt you but who the heck wants it on their system?

If I am wrong someone correct me, I only use the free version of Malwarebytes, even in its free version one of the best anti-Malware programs what I have ever discovered (you just have to remember to use the free version)!

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 pm 
welcoming committee

There is something to be said for buying Malwarebytes. Prevention is maybe better than cure and the paid version monitors for bad websites and malware in realtime, so can prevent the computer from becoming infected. The free version only helps with cleaning the computer after PUPs or malware have become installed on the computer. Removal perhaps never leaves the system as clean as if the malware hadn't got on it in the first place.

AdwCleaner is another 'after the event' program with an increasingly good reputation for removing PUPs.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia, I certainly have experienced that myself, and unwanted toolbars are often sneaked into the installation of a desired program. I also dislike when the installation of a desired program wants to change my browser start page. I guess Malwarebytes' non-malware dialogs do make sense considering they may be identifying things other than the files that I need for installation of the desired program.

Mart44, I am running the paid version of Malwarebytes and they have recently changed their user interface. I found it a bit confusing at first, but have it figured out now. I was unaware of AdwCleaner, so thanks for the information.
Gerry

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Mart, thanks for the info on that AdwCleaner program. Never heard of it but I am starting to fall behind on these newer programs. :coffee1:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:34 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
There are rules about downloads that I feel should always be followed:
  • ALWAYS select to use custom or advanced install if offered. In many cases this will allow the de-selection of such things as toolbars.
  • Always try to download directly from the author's site. This will often be the cleanest version... Still use advanced or custom install.
  • Use common sense. If you have a security package installed you installed it for a purpose. Yes, there are things like false positives but still, if one of your security packages throws an alarm, cancel the install and research what the security package alarmed.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Good advice, Jay. I try to do those things (except I trust CNET's Download site), but it was the "Non-Malware" alerts that threw me. I didn't know what PUP means, and now I do. Thanks.
Gerry

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

Downloads from CNet's server typically contain bundled adware these days -- lots of it.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:30 pm 

sboots wrote:
Downloads from CNet's server typically contain bundled adware these days -- lots of it.
-steve

At least CNet will usually allow the de-selection of added garbage if advanced or custom is selected within the install. I DO agree that they now bundle a lot of crud. Kind of sad as they USED to be pretty good and clean. Another that used to be good but, in my opinion, dropped way down is downloads.com.

One source that I find to be not that bad is Major Geeks but I still install custom or advanced.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/

I still believe the best download source is the author's site if possible. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:00 am 
welcoming committee

I have read of cases where PUPs got installed even though people are adamant they had deselected the options to install them. Could those bundling the PUPs be aware that more people are un-ticking the boxes these days and so arrange it that the PUPs get installed anyway? If this is happening, then I suppose instances of having to clear up after the event will become more numerous.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:00 pm 
welcoming committee

I haven't come across any instances where a PUP has been installed when I've told it explicitly not to, i have however noticed recently that the option to 'opt-out' seems to be getting 'hidden' in smaller font sizes, as if it were some sort of T&C that most people don't read, presumably so people will skip reading it and the developer will get the royalty for a user installing the PUP?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:53 pm 
Fearless Leader

I suspect you're right on the money, Doddie. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:34 am 

LOL! Tell ya what... I'd be willing to deal with all the PUPs in the world, and the cleanup involved, in exchange for spammers being wiped off the Earth.

One of my favorite authors, Robert Heinlein, once said that bad manners should be considered a capital offense. I consider spammers to have VERY bad manners. :mrgreen:

Board index » Technical Forums » Security