Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Using VirtualBox, I currently run XP Pro SP3 as a guest on my Win 10 Pro computer. Jay helped me set this up last year, and recently he walked me through a VB update fix after I upgraded my Win 10 to the Creators Build (1703).

Following the recent ransomware attacks, Microsoft released a security patch (KB4012598) for XP users. Am I correct in assuming that I should install this patch in my VM XP Pro? Will it be like a normal security patch installation, i.e., is there anything different because my XP is a VM?

Thanks in advance.........

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If MS put an update out for XP I would imagine that it would be considered to be critical. This update is designed to combat the WannaCry ransomware. I would allow the update.

There have been reports of the update putting up a dialog saying that it is not for the version of Windows being run in some cases. I would apply the patch and report if it fails.

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. When I just tried to download the update, I got an error message that IE8 couldn't connect to the internet. The connection diagnostic said it might be a firewall issue. For security reasons, I don't normally connect to the internet from within the VM XP Pro, so I don't remember ever encountering this error before.

I'm just too tired now to seek solutions, so will try again in the morning when my mind is fresh (or as fresh as it will ever be, lol).

I assume I should also install the update on my old Win 7 Ultimate computer that runs VM XP Mode?

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:05 pm 

I would think that, if your XP installs are not allowed to go internet, you would be fine. Still the fact that you got the update notification implies that the system DOES have, at least, partial connection.

I would see about downloading the update on another system and porting to the XP VM's.

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Frankly unless you connect to an internal network as in a business, and unless you have no firewall on that box I wouldn't worry about it.
You can also disable the SMBv1 connection and that will secure it.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:08 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I would think that, if your XP installs are not allowed to go internet, you would be fine. Still the fact that you got the update notification implies that the system DOES have, at least, partial connection.
Actually, I didn't receive the update notification on the VM....I had to seek it out after reading about it in the newspaper.

I would see about downloading the update on another system and porting to the XP VM's.
I was thinking about doing that as perhaps the easiest solution, just to be on the safe side. Thanks for confirming.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:22 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Frankly unless you connect to an internal network as in a business, and unless you have no firewall on that box I wouldn't worry about it.

Pete, I do use a firewall on my VM XP Pro. And I don't know what an SMBv1 connection is, much less how to disable it. Any clues/advice? Thanks....

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:

Pete, I do use a firewall on my VM XP Pro. And I don't know what an SMBv1 connection is, much less how to disable it. Any clues/advice? Thanks....

Go to the control panel , then Programs and Features. Off to the left you will see something like turn on/off Windows Features, or it may just be windows features. Click on that and give it time to populate. Then scroll down and see if you see anything with SMBv1 there. If so disable it. If not don't worry.

What firewall.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:39 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Pete. As regards SMB, this is what I see:
- SMB Direct (box unchecked)
- SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support (box checked)
So should I change either/both of these. or just leave them as they are?

I use the Windows Firewall.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:12 pm 
welcoming committee

I would uncheck both of them unless you file share from VM to host. And if you do that uncheck it and just check it when you need it.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Well, that's exactly what I did, using a little flash drive. Immediately the update was successfully installed on my old Win 7 Pro computer running XP Mode. :D

However, on my newer Win 10 Pro computer running VM XP Pro under VirtualBox, I had to first use Pete's old trick of restarting my computer to get rid of all the cobwebs (this computer stays on almost 24/7). Then the remaining install went without a hitch. :D

So I thank everyone for their help. I do have one last question.....in Windows XP, how do you check to see what updates have been installed? I can't remember, and I couldn't find any update history. I was just trying to double-check to make sure the security patch got installed. :?

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I would uncheck both of them unless you file share from VM to host. And if you do that uncheck it and just check it when you need it.

Thanks Pete. I do file share from VM XP Pro to my Win 10 host, so I think I will just leave the settings as they are. As reported above, I did finally get the security patch installed in both VMs.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:39 pm 

bbarry wrote:
I do have one last question.....in Windows XP, how do you check to see what updates have been installed?

I don't currently have an install of XP at all so can't be exact... Let's see how memory serves.

Go to the Windows Update page and click on 'View installation history'. I believe that it also shows in 'Add or remove programs'.

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:17 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, if I click on Windows Update, I get an error message that says can not find '(null)'. And I can't see it listed in Add or Remove Programs.

So I'm not going to worry about it. I received notice that the security patch was installed, so I will just take M/S at their word.

Thanks anyway......

Board index » Technical Forums » Security