Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Today I found an optional update in MS update, KB3192403, I don't know what to make of it so thought I'd ask what others on CH make of it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192403

I am aware that MS are going to move from individual updates to monthly rollups, I don't in principal have an issue with that but do expect it won't be without problems :(

I wasn't expecting this though.

This update appears to be something of a different beast that afaict sends info to MS via something called "DiagTrack", no-one as yet seems to know what info is sent to MS.
Quote:
Microsoft previews telemetry push with new Win7/8.1 patches KB 3192403, 3192404.
Microsoft plans to roll out major extensions to its Diagnostic and Telemetry service in November.
Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/313237 ... 92404.html

Thoughts?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:20 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I won't begin to say that I understand exactly everything involved but, from what I just read, it would seem that these updates will likely add features that will have the system send telemetry info back to MS. This telemetry would likely include such things as location, search tendencies, etc.. With Windows 10 you can turn off such sends but I have no way of knowing (until I install) if this will be the case with Win 7.

Do you need to install? It would seem that you do not although these updates also address some printer issues in an enterprise or embedded processor environment.

Would the updates hurt you? I don't see how in any other case than privacy issues that may be considered in any case where info is sent to MS that says anything about how you use your system.

To be honest I'm still trying to decide if this telemetry stuff even bothers me. I don't know if this kind of control would be available in Win 7 or 8.1 but I really don't much worry about it. In Win 10 I allow for some apps and deny for others. As to live tiles in the Win 10 Start Menu I allow location for weather and news but nothing else.

As long as the updates for 7 and 8.1 allow the control that is in 10 I don't really consider it much of an issue. Still please understand that I don't really know all the details so everything I'm saying could be considered speculation.

Sorry that I'm not offering a more definitive answer but I can't.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:05 pm 
Fearless Leader

1st thought - they are journalists and their number one job is to scare people. ;) (Not really jesting though.)

2nd thought - I really don't know. Hoping Ed Bott will come out with an article on this. He's very good about digging into the innards to find out what is going on.

3rd thought - I honestly don't care that much anymore, like Jay. I turn certain reporting features off, did it in 8.1 also. I don't recall about Windows 7. Sounds very much like Windows Problem reporting that we've had for years. Certainly the diagnostic part does; not sure about what "track" means. Likely no personally identifiable information, but I don't have the same trust level in Microsoft that I used to have. I think the younger crop of tech personnel will do anything that they think gives them an advantage.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
Today I found an optional update in MS update, KB3192403, I don't know what to make of it so thought I'd ask what others on CH make of it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3192403

I am aware that MS are going to move from individual updates to monthly rollups, I don't in principal have an issue with that but do expect it won't be without problems :(

I wasn't expecting this though.

This update appears to be something of a different beast that afaict sends info to MS via something called "DiagTrack", no-one as yet seems to know what info is sent to MS.
Quote:
Microsoft previews telemetry push with new Win7/8.1 patches KB 3192403, 3192404.
Microsoft plans to roll out major extensions to its Diagnostic and Telemetry service in November.
Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/313237 ... 92404.html

Thoughts?

My two cents. It's optional, so you don't need it.
Don't contribute to giving away more of your data.
I recently checked all of my privacy settings, which tend to revert after a monthly update. Not all of them, but some. Nothing was rolled back this month.
I have everything OFF. But, as I said, it's my two cents.

If you didn't see the abuses of GCHQ and the court's determination of the overreach of the UK spying apparatus, you might want to check it out. Perhaps at https://theintercept.com

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:12 pm 
welcoming committee

To be honest I'm still trying to decide if this telemetry stuff even bothers me. I don't know if this kind of control would be available in Win 7 or 8.1 but I really don't much worry about it. In Win 10 I allow for some apps and deny for others. As to live tiles in the Win 10 Start Menu I allow location for weather and news but nothing else.

Hey, Jay,

Ach - I have become a fierce advocate.
I have location off and geolocation off, and somehow I manage to get my local weather from the private weather stations at Wunderground, by using my keyboard button. Same on tablet and laptop. When I say no, apparently my refusal is stronger than their desire.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
nancy wrote:
Hey, Jay,
Ach - I have become a fierce advocate.
I have location off and geolocation off, and somehow I manage to get my local weather from the private weather stations at Wunderground, by using my keyboard button. Same on tablet and laptop. When I say no, apparently my refusal is stronger than their desire.

HUH? I must have forgotten something... I don't relate the above to any of my posts. Please refresh my mind... ;)

<edit>
Never mind... I get it.
:)

Board index » Technical Forums » Security