Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:23 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Please keep in mind that this is beta.
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2016 ... Ransomware

Also see
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.p ... ansomware/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay

I hate to say it but this isn't very impressive. I've tested against Ransomware and....

EIS/Eam (Emsisoft) routinely stops the ransomware malware

Hitman Pro Alert, proactively prevents the encryption.

Appguard routinely stops the ransomware malware.

All three of these have been protecting for quite some time, so to me Malwarebytes, is playing catchup.

Forgot the obvious, Sandboxie. It totally neuters any ransomware

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I hate to say it but this isn't very impressive. I've tested against Ransomware and....

...All three of these have been protecting for quite some time, so to me Malwarebytes, is playing catchup.

Just curious, do you mean the software isn't very impressive, or is that they're just developing it now that isn't very impressive?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok, I will probably not answer your question to Peter's satisfaction, he can chime in with the correct answer. Malwarebytes is simply a scanner, like your anti-Virus. Good stuff, I still keep an anti-Virus myself as an initial protection layer. But too many bad guys can get past scanners, after all, scanners have been around over 20 years and despite the improvement in scanners, the bad guys are ALWAYS, in my opinion, one step ahead. Yes, a GOOD anti-Virus and Malwarebytes (and firewall) will kill 98% of the stuff. But the weakest link will break the strongest chain and the smallest leak will destroy the strongest dam. You need more, something that hackers cannot defeat. As I am fond of quoting: "Security is always excessive until it's not enough." - Robbie Sinclair, Country Energy, NSW Australia

I personally consider security software VERY impressive. In my opinion, just do not depend upon scanners to protect you from the final 2%. There are programs "out there" that will protect you from everything but they are not "set and forget" they need YOUR input. Now, I expect this thread to be moved to "Advanced". :gunner:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:17 pm 
welcoming committee

100% agree with you, Acadia.

I wouldn't normally question Peter's posts, but on this occasion because this is a new beta product by Malwarebytes I am curious if he could clarify his use of the words... 'this isn't very impressive'. :)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:28 pm 

Acadia, your reply about scanners is quite true. If a security package is JUST a scanner the machine is probably already infected when the scan is done. This is why I use the Pro version of MBAM as it is real time. The Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomeware is also real time. Actually the anti ransom package is supposed to remain a separate entity only through the beta testing. After testing it is supposed to be incorporated in to an already existing package, I would expect MBAM but could be bundled with their anti-exploit package.

I was not very happy when they went from a life time license to a yearly subscription for MBAM but, thankfully, I was grandfathered in on the lifetime deal for multiple licenses.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

I wasn't happy either. And their prices are going up too.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:

I know that you also run the Pro version. Were you also grandfathered in or are you having to pay the price?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:39 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Doddie and all

Actually in this case Acadia kinda missed the mark. I posted as I did as the opening post suggested this beta was innovative, and setting a new standard in the industry. That simply isn't true. Also the reason I said I wasn't impressed, at it suggests that even MBAM Pro didn't provide the protection. That means the Malwarebytes is totally behind the times: Why?

Well. Since most of the ransomware comes via email, just running Sandboxie would completely protect you.

I've been using EAM/EIS (Emsisoft) every since they bought Online Armor. These two programs have been not only handling Ransomware, but any malware I've thrown at it.

Hitman Pro Alert aside from being an excellent Anti Exploit program, has some side protections one of which is a crypto protection. It detects the start of the encryption process and stops it. No data loss. I've been using it for over a year.

Appguard also protect the system, but also data directories, stopping them from being harmed. Been using that for at least two years.

Also an Anti executable. That alone used properly would also protect the system.

But in this Acadia is correct. If you rely strictly on scanning software you may be bit.

Next a challenge. If you think your security is adequate, find a piece of ransomware and run it. I have actually done this on my system and it is safe.

Finally the issue, does this belong in the advance section. Frankly to move it there totally marginalizes the usefulness of this forum. Yes this is advanced and probably above the heads up newbies. BUT they can be taught, and it should be our job to teach them. Otherwise we condemn them to suffer learning the hard way. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but the truth of Ransomware is harsh.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:01 pm 
Fearless Leader

I'm paying, Jay. I was getting 3 licenses for the roughly $25, but now that is only for a single pc. 2 Pcs is 32 and change, and 3 pcs is now $40.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 pm 

jaylach wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

I know that you also run the Pro version. Were you also grandfathered in or are you having to pay the price?

I was grandfathered in with my Pro version, I also run their Anti-Exploit Premium. I do a regular update of SpywareBlaster and I also have WinPatrol, WinPrivacy and WinAnti-Ransomware.

This is on my Windows 10 Asus alongside Defender, Windows Firewall and the security in Edge.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security