Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: AX64 Time Machine
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:14 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Well, I just had a VERY interesting experience (and one that I hope I never have to live thru again). First let me state all that follows was NOT AX64's fault, that program had nothing to do with any of this. I finally attempted to install AX64 and in order to do that I wanted to first uninstall FirstDefense (after 12 years on 3 machines :cry5: ) Whoaa, I did not anticipate the problems that would occur with uninstalling FD. I finally had to go to image restoring to recover. EVEN WINDOWS BUILT-IN LET ME DOWN. I finally fell back upon ShadowProtect even though it was uninstalled from my system, the recovery CD saved me. BINGO, I had my old system back from a month ago then I simply used FirstDefense to bring me completely back to date (I've done this before). Why I am bothering you readers with all of this? Isso, it would be really nice if you can make AX64 compatible with ShadowProtect. Now I am more hesitant than ever to let go of that miracle of recovery. Yes, AX64 has some distinct advantages over FD, but the combo of FD and SP is really hard to beat. Can you imagine the power of the working combo of AX64 and ShadowProtect? :dance3:

Acadia

Acadia,

I would happily work on making AX64 compatible with ShadowProtect, however it seems to be impossible, because ShadowProtect driver has a flaw that prevents AX64 to communicate with its own driver. So this should be resolved by SP team.

Isso

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:31 am 
Fearless Leader

Isso_ax64 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm Isso, the developer of AX64 Time Machine. I'm very happy to see positive reviews of our program, and many thanks to Manny for inviting me to ComputerHaven.
I'll do my best to answer the questions.

Isso

Welcome, Isso. :) Happy to have you here. The guys here are the torture testers - I'm looking for a nice, easy, reliable imaging program that I can have my clients use (consumers) with Windows 8.1. Looks like this will be the program, and I thank you for that!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:19 am 
welcoming committee

Thank you for coming by Isso. It's wonderful to hear directly from the developer of such a great program. I appreciate you letting me know that most of my suggestions are part of your planning that's great to hear. It would be nice if it could restore to a specific drive rather than me taking my laptop apart and switching bays.

I do think that you'll end up with a great piece of software that we can recommend to people on a regular basis. I don't know how many times all of us preach about the need for a regular backup program and how it trumps cleaning an infected machine. I do believe that you have caused me to move from ShadowProtect to your baby. I still have more days on the free trial to see if I can beat it up but I'm basically sold on it.

It's nice to see you here.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:51 am 
welcoming committee

Isso_ax64 wrote:
Acadia wrote:
I would happily work on making AX64 compatible with ShadowProtect, however it seems to be impossible, because ShadowProtect driver has a flaw that prevents AX64 to communicate with its own driver. So this should be resolved by SP team.

Isso

Ok, Isso, understood, and thanks for dropping by. Like Manny, I believe AXTM is now my favorite imaging program.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:19 am 

Well I think I'm going to take the plunge, been sat here reading through all the posts and following what the experts have been doing to the program.
Now I'm one of those that needs something that's simple and reliable and from the reactions I've seen here this program seems to fit the bill.
I've had Acronis on my machines for years and have the latest edition at present but I'm now not prepared to keep paying out each time they bring out another edition, especially when I'm no longer seeing any difference from previous ones.
As I've now got a Windows 8 Notebook which will be 8.1 when the Update comes along didn't bother doing the preview, perhaps it's time I went with something that will see me through the ups and downs of the new OS.
For the time being I can leave Acronis on the Windows 7 desktop, I don't use that so much these days, I spend more time using Windows 8 on my Asus.

I'll agree with the others that it's nice to see the developer of the program join us, so a very warm welcome to Computer Haven Isso. :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Isso

Nice to see you here. I am going to PM you at Wilders.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:20 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:

I've had Acronis on my machines for years and have the latest edition at present...

Joan, keep Acronis on your system, even with my faith in AXTM I say, ALWAYS keep your system backed up by more than one program.

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:57 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Welcome Isso, happy to have you come by. :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 pm 

Acadia wrote:
JoanA wrote:

I've had Acronis on my machines for years and have the latest edition at present...

Joan, keep Acronis on your system, even with my faith in AXTM I say, ALWAYS keep your system backed up by more than one program.

Acadia

Oh I will Acadia, at present I back up via Acronis and Windows on here. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:53 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Isso_ax64 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm Isso, the developer of AX64 Time Machine. I'm very happy to see positive reviews of our program, and many thanks to Manny for inviting me to ComputerHaven.
I'll do my best to answer the questions.

Isso

Welcome, Isso. :) Happy to have you here. The guys here are the torture testers - I'm looking for a nice, easy, reliable imaging program that I can have my clients use (consumers) with Windows 8.1. Looks like this will be the program, and I thank you for that!

Thank you Patty, I'm happy to hear it!

Isso

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:55 am 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
Thank you for coming by Isso. It's wonderful to hear directly from the developer of such a great program. I appreciate you letting me know that most of my suggestions are part of your planning that's great to hear. It would be nice if it could restore to a specific drive rather than me taking my laptop apart and switching bays.

I do think that you'll end up with a great piece of software that we can recommend to people on a regular basis. I don't know how many times all of us preach about the need for a regular backup program and how it trumps cleaning an infected machine. I do believe that you have caused me to move from ShadowProtect to your baby. I still have more days on the free trial to see if I can beat it up but I'm basically sold on it.

It's nice to see you here.

Thank you Manny! Yes, in time we'll be adding more advanced options, and I'll do my best to keep the program easy to use.

Isso

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:57 am 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Well I think I'm going to take the plunge, been sat here reading through all the posts and following what the experts have been doing to the program.
Now I'm one of those that needs something that's simple and reliable and from the reactions I've seen here this program seems to fit the bill.
I've had Acronis on my machines for years and have the latest edition at present but I'm now not prepared to keep paying out each time they bring out another edition, especially when I'm no longer seeing any difference from previous ones.
As I've now got a Windows 8 Notebook which will be 8.1 when the Update comes along didn't bother doing the preview, perhaps it's time I went with something that will see me through the ups and downs of the new OS.
For the time being I can leave Acronis on the Windows 7 desktop, I don't use that so much these days, I spend more time using Windows 8 on my Asus.

I'll agree with the others that it's nice to see the developer of the program join us, so a very warm welcome to Computer Haven Isso. :)

Thank you Joan. If you have any questions please feel free to ask either on this forum or directly my emailing at info@ax64.com

Isso

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 am 
welcoming committee

Peter, Acadia, jaylach - thank you very much!

Isso

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
No need to type out jaylach, just call me Jay. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am 
welcoming committee

Here's an example of how a confluence of things made my machine very slow and AX64 took forever to make a backup. A normal full backup of my OS typically takes a few minutes but yesterday at noon my machine was basically non-response and AX64 took over 20 minutes to perform a backup. Below is the screenshot.

It happened to be noon so my Outpost firewall was updating and scanning the machine with its AV module. Additionally my Windows Home Server missed the scheduled backup at a little after 8AM and decided noon was the right time to finish its task. And, of course, AX64 built in schedule decided it was also the perfect time to take a full backup. Needless to say all of my 8 top notch i7 CPU processors were working their full heads off making the machine unresponsive. I had to walk away from the machine until it was done.

While I changed the schedule in the other two programs, there's just nothing I can do to move the backup time in AX64. This is an example where allowing a user to define a schedule in AX64 would have been beneficial. Additionally a few added smarts for AX64 to take a look at how much load the machine is handling at the moment and the ability to postpone its activities would be marvelous. After all, the exact time an automatic backup is created is not crucial. It might as well happen when the machine is idle.

Attachments:
AX64.png [118.43 KiB]
Downloaded 143 times

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Manny

I hear you. SP's continuous Incrementals is the only thing I've ever let run on schedule. Even FDISR, could cause stuff like that. I don't run most stuff like that on schedule for just that reason. I have EMSI's EAM on board for testing to help them, but even there the auto update stuff while worked nicely just ended up getting in the way. But then that's me. I do agree the scheduling in AT64 is totally inadequate for me.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:25 am 
welcoming committee

The latest AX64 Time Machine coupon:
http://couponcode0.com/ax64-time-machin ... cense.html

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:20 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the coupon but has this software been over developed by now?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:34 am 
welcoming committee

They still don't have anything working for v2. Also I think Macrium V6 has made them irrelevant. It continues to be one awesome program. It does the fast restores without any tracking file issues. Rock solid.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:53 am 

I've still got the free version of Macrium and it's updated to version 6, been thinking whether I should buy it, although I've no idea how much it is yet.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Try here for a 20% of coupon http://www.retailmenot.com/view/macrium.com

Joan it is an outstanding program. My average imaging time for incrementals and differentials on a 106GB disk is 1 to 1.5 minutes. I've changed out Acrobat Pro which is a 2gb change and the restore to put it back was a minute and a half. I've used and abused it without a single failure

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:00 pm 

I'll have a proper look a bit later, I did give your link a quick visit and the 20% coupons were over a year old so it's possible they wouldn't be valid now and several people who had tried them said they didn't work.

Thanks for the link though I'll let you know how things go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)