Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 am 
welcoming committee

Hello to all. I hope everyone is having a pleasant summer. We have had a bit of a heat wave in Michigan lately.

When I opened 'Options' in Excell and clicked on 'Trust Center>Trusted Publishers' I noticed that the "VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2009-2CA" expired on 10/1/2011. This was issued to Printing Communications Associates, Inc. Is this a serious issue? Is there a way to update this manually? Why didn't this update automatically? Who is Printing Communications Associates, Inc. anyway? Apparently this status is the same for all Office functions - Word and PowerPoint also. Thanks for your help.
Attachment:
Certicate.01.JPG
Certicate.01.JPG [ 40.08 KiB | Viewed 4379 times ]
Attachment:
Certicate.02.JPG
Certicate.02.JPG [ 43.74 KiB | Viewed 4379 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 pm 
welcoming committee

Hmmm! No ideas or suggestions as to why this certificate has expired or hasn't updated in MS Office 10. I have been running Office 10 for about a year now. Should I be worried about this?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry, Terry, I remember seeing the initial post and thinking that it would be best if left for those that know Office better than I. I then forgot about it.

I just did a search for 'Printing Communications Associates, Inc.' and the one link that I checked looks like they are no longer around. This would explain the expired cert..

I wish that I could give a definitive answer but cannot. If you want to listen to my 'gut reaction', If there has been no issue in the past I would not worry about it. I just checked out a few more search results and they ALL look like it is what is called a 'parked domain'. A parked domain is a web address that goes to a site that usually contains advertisements. This happens when a company goes south and the hosting keeps the domain name intact putting up ads and offering the domain name for sale.

Sorry but that is the best that I can offer. If this has been used in the past without issue I would not worry. On the other hand I would not download any other template that you may see from them on-line. Since you seem to have gotten their file when the cert. was active that file should be good. The same cannot be said for any other files that are advertised under that name today.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:39 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay. I believe I found the same website you did, owned by Manta. All I did was install MS Office 10 from the official disk. I'm not sure what "file" you are referring to. What would happen if I removed the certificate? Would I lose my ability to print? Could that be a possible crack, a small hole in my internal security?

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:22 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry Terry, my bad. When you said office and cert. I assumed it was in reference to a template. Template is what I meant when saying file.

As to the other questions I think it best for me to leave it to others that are running, or have run, Office 10. I'm a dinosaur with 2007. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Afternoon All,

It's nothing to worry about. Basically when you install software/drivers or other things which have certs attached they will be installed to your local certificate store.

Excel / Office and other apps are able to read this and are pretty much displaying certificates which are located in your trusted publishers store.

E.g if I open up excel:

Now if I go start > Run > MMC

and select new > certificates and browse to trusted publishers you see the same thing

For me those are the sound card and graphics drivers which have been installed along with the certificate at the time. As you'll see most have expired, it doesn't stop anything from working.

It's also not going to cause an issue with Excel/office.

I don't know exactly WHERE the certificate came from, maybe an installation a while ago or something along those lines but don't worry about trying to renew it!

Hope this clear it up a little.

I've actually been giving some presentation on certifications recently, so would be more than happy to do a tutorial for CH as a basic "introduction" to certificates when i've got some time.

Certs: CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:SA,
MCITP:EMA 2010, MCSE:Server 2008, VTSP5, ITIL V3 Foundation
http://www.michaelriccioni.com

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)