Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I hear ya as to the user base being low on CH but you would be surprised as to how much traffic it actually gets. My guess on this is that answers tend to be pretty well formed with people either not liking or finding their answer without having to register and post a question. While not anywhere close to major sites CH averages 5.32 GB/month in bandwidth usage. While not any kind of super large bandwidth usage it is MUCH higher than a user count would indicate.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 pm 
welcoming committee

You can blame Joan for my finding this place, if she hadn't posted elsewhere I'd never have known it existed! :twisted:

Given how much tw*t filters through twitter, and how much... how to put this is beyond me... f*** goes through facef**k I'd say you're streets ahead of the all of them ;)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
You can blame Joan for my finding this place, if she hadn't posted elsewhere I'd never have known it existed! :twisted:

Given how much tw*t filters through twitter, and how much... how to put this is beyond me... f*** goes through facef**k I'd say you're streets ahead of the all of them ;)

Sigh, now I have to consider banning Joan for leading you here... :mrgreen: Actually I really must give Joan thanks as I consider a valued member. :)

Not sure that I'm translating all the asterisks correctly but thank you I think... ;) Actually I added another level to the security of the site in relation to robot spammer registrations. If a new user clicks to register they do not actually go to the registration page for the forums. They go to a page that I wrote that gives a bot test that is not all that easy to beat. This test page must be passed before the actual site registration is even reached. Take a look if you wish...
regtst.html

Haven't worked on in a while to perfect but I have also developed a form of CAPTCHA that uses a video file as the hint. You have to enter info from the video to pass.

Of course none of this works against an actual human spammer but killing spam bots helps a LOT! ;)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:08 pm 

Did someone shout me, thought my ears were burning :twisted:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:43 pm 
welcoming committee

To Jay and Doddie I personally do know of one compromise I was involved in, BCBS (health insurance) through my work was hacked and I did report it etc. These rogue emails only started coming approx. 2-5 yrs after this hack so the email address these emails are coming into may not even be related. I have used RoboForm for many yrs but lately it too has changed. I do however use totally different passwords for each and every site that requires ANY login. I don't think these emails are using any passwords, but the email address is all over the internet.
Thanks Jay and Doddie for all your help! Jay I'll do what you suggested in the next few days/week or so. I'd prefer to do this when I have more time to concentrate so I get it right. All SUPER GOOD INFO in this thread!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)