Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is NOT good and I don't understand the issue...

I keep my movie library in an Excel sheet to where I click a title and it launches in my default media player for video. While using Office 2007 I would just create a desktop shortcut to the Excel sheet then pin it to the taskbar. It would not actually pin the shortcut but would attach it as pinned to the Excel taskbar icon. I would then just right click on the taskbar icon and select the pinned menu sheet.

I have since installed Office 365, 2016 version, and the same procedure worked just fine while Office 2007 was still installed. I just removed Office 2007 and the access to the menu sheet is broken. While I can still pin the sheet to the Excel 365 taskbar icon it will only open a blank sheet. I can then go to the file tab and open the menu sheet under 'recent files' and it works fine. While Excel 2007 was still installed I would right click on the 2007 taskbar and select. It would open in Excel 365 but did work.

I have even tried creating a new shortcut to the file after removing Office 2007 and then pinning, same result. Just in case I even added the file to my OneDrive folder and created and pinned from there; same result. I even tried creating a new Excel file and it had the same result.

I believe this to be a registry issue such as Patty solved ages ago with previous versions of Office.

Of course I could always re-install Excel 2007 and I'm sure all would be fine... probably. ;) I could also do an image restore that I made before removing 2007 and remove one component at a time.

This SEEMS to be the exact same issue that Patty solved with the registry hack for an earlier version of Office. I THINK that the core issue then and now is the install of the newer version of Office before removing the older version. I think that I may go ahead and remove 365 and do another install to see what happens.

While this is not a huge issue it is an issue for me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:26 pm 

Never mind, issue solved.

I almost just deleted this thread but figured leaving might help someone.

The issue does seem to be that I installed Office 365 before removing Office 2007. After removing 2007 broke things as to links I also removed Office 365. I then re-installed 365 and all seems fine.

I will also note that the removal and re-install did NOT use an extra install option. I just went to my MS account and it still shows only 1 out of the available 5 installs used on the level of PC/Mac installs. I DO wonder what affect a clean install of the system using a different 'PC Name' would incur. I just don't know how installs are monitored.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 am 

Interesting thread Jay. I have 365 installed over 2007 on my Asus Notebook and the other machines have the 2010 version under the 365 install.

I haven't got round to un-installing the old version so reading this thread gives me something to think about. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:31 am 
Fearless Leader

You can deregister an install before you wipe the pic. Ditto with a pic you get rid of and get a new one. They are quite smart about it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:35 am 
Fearless Leader

Funny, Jay, I can't even remember what the issue was that we had posted the fix for. I do remember we had a ton of new members come in for that fix. Lost our google standing when we moved hosting. That was a drag.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:52 am 

It was a .docx issue where such files would not load in Word by being d-clicked.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:43 pm 
Fearless Leader

OK.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)