Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Win 10/Samsung Galaxy Tab E w/Android 6.0.1

I tried and failed magnificently.

Can't even move videos to SD card.
Tried FileDrop and WiFi Direct.
It's too confusing.

HowToGeek has the best instructions on Filedrop, but I can't follow it. For files and photos.

Gmail might be the easiest and the only reason I didn't it because I don't know if I have enough room to add the app back to tablet. As videos are still eating up all the space.

I just lost this entire post, so I'll just say if somebody has a suggestion on a program that will work for both devices, I am happy to try it. Too much time and no progress.

I need to learn from the first step (videos to SD - to sharing apps) to the last. BTW - Tab E doesn't have the features that many other Samsung tablets do, which made instructions even more elusive. At least I finally got PC to recognize the device, which should have been a breeze and wasn't.

I tried uploading a screenshot and I keep getting an error - it's the Allow Apps through Firewall settings, as WiFi Direct doesn't offer any English language instructions for non-developers. Acch.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:43 pm 
Fearless Leader

Can't you just plug the tablet into the pc with a USB cable?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00046418/

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:26 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie,

I had it plugged in. You would think (and so would I) that I should just drag a file from the tablet to computer.

For instance: http://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab/how-to-transfer-files-from-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-to-your-pc/
I can't figure out why it isn't that simple.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

Samsung provides us with an onboard manual. It only has Galaxy Tabs "other" section. I don't remember even seeing a Tab E page.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 pm 
Fearless Leader

Were you able to get to the file you wanted, so that you could see the file listing for it in one window, and the location of where you want to move it to in another window?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:03 pm 
welcoming committee

No.
Yesterday after installing Filedrop, it didn't point to or open to my files; only theirs.
Then I created a file called Filedrop, in hopes that it would find my file.
That didn't happen either.
Then I tried WiFi Direct. I gave up on that also.

I got the SD card on Friday.
I didn't see any easy solutions when I first started.
New technologies are sometimes tough for me, but I now understand this concept as well as almost anything that is familiar.

I went through a lot to get my PC to recognize the Tab.
I also looked for a USB debugger setting, which my Nexus has but the Tab E doesn't.
When solutions aren't more universal, I can't intuitively get out of these situations.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
Stephen,

Samsung provides us with an onboard manual. It only has Galaxy Tabs "other" section. I don't remember even seeing a Tab E page.

Thank you.

You provided me with the name Galaxy Tab E, which I searched. That led me to the Samsung support link I posted. Did that not apply?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:26 pm 
welcoming committee

I believe Nancy posted the model number of the tablet in another thread "SM-T560NU" :
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1473

Searching the model number on the Samsung support website shows a USB driver for the PC that's available for download, it might help?
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/supp ... sDownloads

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Is filedrop confusing things? I've never heard of it so I assume it's a 3rd party app or similar?

Moving and/or copying files from any Samsung device to a PC should be very straight forward as long as you know where to look for the files on the Samsung device (phone or tablet makes little difference, android folder structure is pretty much the same on both).

I'm wondering if you're trying to copy/move the files to the PC using your tablet?
I've never worked out an easy way to do that... by far the easiest way is to plug your tablet into the PC via USB and use Windows Explorer to drag & drop, or copy & paste etc, the files.

Which is where installing the Samsung USB driver onto your PC will likely help.

For this purpose just think of your tablet as en external storage device, sometimes Windows needs a driver installed to recognise them, by installing the Samsung USB driver Windows should recognise the tablet and give you access to the folders you want.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:25 pm 
Fearless Leader

Doddie is correct on the best way to do this. Thank you, Doddie. And thank you also for posting the link to the USB driver! Who would have guessed you needed a download for that?!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Actually there are several phones that need proprietary software to connect to a computer. I can't specifically name them but see it at work quite often. We have two kiosks in our photo department. We only have about a 70% success rate as to connecting with phones. I would hazard a guess that the 30% that will not connect need proprietary software which, for security reasons, is not going to be on our systems.

Good job Doddie! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

This isn't a phone, Jay. It is a tablet. Generally, if tablets have USB charging/connecting, no software is needed. Some tablets still have proprietary ports, but those are disappearing in favor of USB ports.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:27 am 

DANG! And I knew it was a tablet from the first post and another thread. Out of all the things in life that I've lost I miss my mind the most... ;)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:40 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ha ha... I know exactly what you mean!

Well here's one for you. My computer wouldn't boot up yesterday, I/O (input/output) error. I checked to see what I had connected that might cause an issue like this. (Operating system not found, btw.) So I packed up my machine (which is now 7 years old), and brought it out to my buddy Roger at his shop. I was suspecting motherboard issues.

Within about a half hour after returning home, I looked up and saw the USB stick protruding out of the side of my monitor. LOL I had somehow missed it. I called Roger and told him that was likely the cause of it not booting. He said, "Good call - because it did boot right up here."

All was good though, because he checked out (and cleaned out) my machine, looked over the motherboard (which looks fine!), checked my drives (I have a mirror) and found that one of them had bad (physical) sectors and would fail. Had me bring up all my drives I had been using externally (all Hitachi 1 TB drives), two of which had very little actual use, and one was my main backup drive which had a lot of use. Found that my backup drive had bad sectors too. So I replaced the bad internal mirror drive and my backup drive with the two still good drives. I'm a happy camper.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:31 pm 

Odd that you should have that issue as to booting due to the flash drive plugged in. I had the exact same thing yesterday. I'll bet your boot order is set the same as mine; Optical, USB then hard drive. I find it odd that my system won't do this if I have a memory card (camera) connected through USB. It only happens with a flash drive and, oddly, it seems only SanDisk.

<edit>
Just proofed this by removing USB from my boot order and the system booted fine with the same flash drive plugged in. I left the USB option out of the boot order as I don't hardly ever boot to USB. If I do need to do so I can turn it back on.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:56 pm 
Fearless Leader

Nope, nothing to do with boot order. My machine will not boot to USB. This is a bug with some (earlier) BIOS'es. I've seen it numerous times on customer machines as well.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:31 pm 

Probably not worth the effort but could a BIOS update possibly cure this?

Actually, if this discussion is worth continuing (probably not) we should probably move our posts as we are sort of distracting from Nancy's thread...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:57 pm 
Fearless Leader

It possibly could - were there a BIOS update to be had. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:57 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen's instructions from the Tab E were excellent and PERFECT. After a quick read through, I could take it over without notes (a bold move on my part). Whodathunk it would start in My Files?
It slowly loaded all the videos.
Since then, I forgot to upload the videos to computer.

In my excitement to move the, I read about the formatting after. I think I understand correctly that once FAT formatted, I can't send them to my NTFS external drives. I'll just send them to my email account. Or reformat a thumb drive. I'll have backups of backups.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:18 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
It possibly could - were there a BIOS update to be had. ;)

MacDuffie,

Interesting that you should mention that. Something similar but different.
My computer is also seven years old.

Since my reinstall of Win10, with the HD plugged in, my computer won't boot.
I have to start it without any devices greater than mouse and keyboard.
My bios settings are fine and there haven't been updates in years.

The only thing I have to watch for is that since ASUS doesn't support Win10, I will have eventually have a problem that I can't overcome. What that means in real terms, I cannot fathom. Of course, I will get a new computer, but I've not straightened out this one yet. It's so damn reliable when it behaves.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:32 am 
welcoming committee

Doddie -

I had tried to find a driver for the ASUS PC. I think I did a USB install for Nexus 7. Both those devices are ASUS.
When I couldn't find a USB driver, I wrote to ASUS. (They sent me to Samsung.) I was looking in the wrong place, but I didn't have any luck with Samsung online anyway. To actually see their "support" page, it's like 16 boxes of Would you like to learn this or that? and click on the box. It's not a manual, exactly. When I bought my first tablet, I didn't know where the ON button was. (I got rid of a vastly unused cell phone in 2010.) A manual should take you from step 1 onward.

Yes, I said from tablet to PC.

Filedrop claimed to make the process easier.
I mentioned Quick Access (or whatever) and Wifi Direct also, which are built in the Samsung.
You need the corresponding programs on laptop.
The Samsung Tab E page tells you how to use both programs, which I didn't have access to until Stephen found it.

I did the file move outside with tablet. I went to the manual (onboard) to find the Tab E page to make sure that I wasn't crazy. I still can't attest that I'm not, but the online version is completely different from the one they install. (You can't blink while the transformation occurs.)

You are absolutely right that you have to know which files to access. I hadn't a clue, so my internal logic didn't lead the way.

Thank you for your input.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:59 am 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
Stephen's instructions from the Tab E were excellent and PERFECT. After a quick read through, I could take it over without notes (a bold move on my part). Whodathunk it would start in My Files?
It slowly loaded all the videos.
Since then, I forgot to upload the videos to computer.

In my excitement to move the, I read about the formatting after. I think I understand correctly that once FAT formatted, I can't send them to my NTFS external drives. I'll just send them to my email account. Or reformat a thumb drive. I'll have backups of backups.

Thank you.

Glad that it worked for you. They weren't my instructions, though, they were Samsung's. :-)

As for formatting -- it applies to the specific storage drive itself and the ability of the host device (Tablet or computer) to read that file system. If you move the SD card to a PC (in a card reader, for example) the PC with Windows can recognize FAT and NTFS without issue.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:54 am 
Fearless Leader

I understand, Nancy. Is that a laptop? Odd that it won't handle Windows 10 as mine does just fine. But mine is a desktop and laptops have different sorts of issues.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:51 am 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

You get the credit for finding what I could not.

The card will not be used for anything other than expanding the tablet's memory.
Simpler: Without doing anything else, can I backup the videos (which are only on the card) to my HD?
I don't want to watch them there.

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices