Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:42 pm 
welcoming committee

The gremlins are really haunting my Win 10 computer, and it's still two weeks before Halloween. :shock:

I am using IE 11 with a Google search toolbar. I have always been able to click on the down arrow at the end of the Google search box and see my last 20 or 30 entries of my search topics (I never counted the exact number). Now when I go to click on this down arrow, the pointing arrow changes to a pointed finger hand and no entries are listed.

Any idea what suddenly caused this? I can still use Google to search, but I have lost all of my search history and can't retain any new search topics.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:04 pm 
Fearless Leader

Try rebooting your machine before we try other troubleshooting.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:13 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Try rebooting your machine before we try other troubleshooting.

Didn't help, Patty. I have attached a snip showing what I mean. You can see where I have typed the words "google browsing history missing" in the Google search box. Normally, if I click on the down arrow at the end of that box, I would see my Google search history for the past 20-30 searches. But now I see nothing.

Attachment:
GoogleHistory.JPG
GoogleHistory.JPG [ 65.76 KiB | Viewed 23187 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:17 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't have an answer for you BB but you may want to make sure that the option to clear browser history has not been enabled in Internet Options.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I don't have an answer for you BB but you may want to make sure that the option to clear browser history has not been enabled in Internet Options.

Jay, I checked.....it has not been enabled. But that's a different kind of history. That setting pertains to browser history, and I have no problem with it.

My problem deals with Google search history.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

I presume that this has already been checked?
https://support.google.com/toolbar/answer/9271?hl=en

Have you run a ccleaner by any chance?

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I presume that this has already been checked?
https://support.google.com/toolbar/answer/9271?hl=en

Have you run a ccleaner by any chance?

-steve

Steve, I was just beginning to look into my google account stuff when your response came in. The account stuff was confusing, so I still need to sort through it......maybe I will find my problem.

No, no......I would never use a ccleaner. Patty would disbar me from CH, lol.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm 

I NEVER advocate using browser toolbars but you might try un-installing and doing a new install.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ha ha, Bb. I'd just give you a good talking to. ;)

I suspect this is a Google issue. I too am not a toolbar advocate. Just because there never has been an issue, doesn't mean there can't be an issue.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:11 am 
welcoming committee

Jay & Patty - If I don't use the Google toolbar, how can I invoke Google to do a search in IE 11? Is there another way? Thanks.......

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 am 

You just go to your settings and select Google as your default provider. From there you just type your queries in the browser's address bar.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:07 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay.......that worked. Now I just have to figure out how to retain/access my Google search history, which is data I often use.

EDIT: I found where to access my Google search history data, which I guess is retained automatically by Google since I don't have the flag turned off.

After I enter my desired search word or phrase, I just click on the Options cogwheel on the right and I can see my search history going back for a long time. This data is not in the simple list I was getting before when the Google toolbar was working properly, but all the data is certainly there.

Also, I have closed the Google toolbar as you & Patty recommended.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm 
Fearless Leader

Make sure you uninstall it, Bb. It should be listed in Programs and Features for you to do this.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Make sure you uninstall it, Bb. It should be listed in Programs and Features for you to do this.

Done.....I had forgotten about that step. :oops:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

No problem.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:47 pm 

Since Patty and I have both stated that we do not advocate browser toolbars I feel that reasons should be given as to why. Of course Patty and I may have different reasons but I'd be surprised if we didn't pretty much match.
  1. They often tend to be poorly written which tends to open the potential for vulnerabilities which are not likely to be corrected as they have no reason to care if your system is compromised.
  2. Also due to being poorly written they take a lot of system resources. If you have a toolbar installed it will probably rank as high as to a browser startup time hit. Even after the browser is loaded toolbars can still affect browser performance. While I can't prove I have no reason to believe that the following would not have the same affect as to performance.
    1. I tried an experiment years ago which consisted of installing toolbars and comparing browser page load times as I added bars. When I hit 5 or 6 bars the browser was just about useless.
  3. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Probably everyone has experienced installing something 'freeware' and ending up with other stuff that was not wanted. Well it is the same with toolbars. Some will bundle other stuff and some will not. Still it is not free in either case. Even if there is nothing bundled as to other software the thing will track your every move on the web and report back to home everything that you do. There MAY be exceptions but this is the general rule.
  4. Just the matter of screen space... When I'm browsing the web I want as much of my screen dedicated to actual content. The top of my browser has nothing but the 'Address Bar' which shows where I'm at and the browser tabs. Oh, I also enable the 'Status Bar' as I want to see where I will end up if I click a page link. The Status Bar will display the actual destination regardless of what the link says in usual cases. *1

*1 It is really pretty easy code to manipulate where the Task Bar says a link points. This is a feature in web design that I STRONGLY believe should NEVER had been allowed. I could put up a link that says it is going to Bing.com and displays in the Status Bar that it, in fact, IS going to Bing. Yet, if you click, I could take you anywhere. The Status Bar was never the safety net that it was probably intended but is still better to have enabled than not. If any would like to see an example of what I'm saying here let me know and I will put up an example.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Even though I have now deleted the Google Toolbar, I did find out that other users experienced the same search history loss after a recent Win 10 update. Supposedly, KB 3194798 was the culprit, although I haven't verified that.

But at least I now know it wasn't gremlins in my computer or cobwebs in my head. :cboy1:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:41 pm 
Fearless Leader

What I think is that this issue was already resolved, done and finished. No need to beat a dead horse.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:54 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
What I think is that this issue was already resolved, done and finished. No need to beat a dead horse.

While I basically agree we still can't actually say that the issue is solved until there is no longer an issue with web pages timing out. That has yet to be proven. Of course this issue pertains to two different threads which, possibly, have the same cause. Still I don't see how we can consider a thread closed while there are still possible related issues.

While I would openly agree that my explanation of why I consider browser tool bars to be bad is possibly over kill it is still relevant. I don't believe that it is proper to just say that one should not do. I think that it is necessary to also provide detailed explanations as to WHY things should not be done.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:40 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

While I basically agree we still can't actually say that the issue is solved until there is no longer an issue with web pages timing out. That has yet to be proven.

There have been no further web page time outs since I uninstalled the Google toolbar.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:10 am 

Good to hear BB! :)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:28 pm 
welcoming committee

As previously reported in this thread, I disabled and then uninstalled the Google toolbar in IE11. As Jay suggested, I then just typed my search queries in the browser's address bar; in so doing, I found another way to access my search history going back for a long time.

So I have no intention of reinstalling the Google toolbar. However, I did continue my pursuit to find out what happened. Why after many, many years of using the toolbar and easily accessing my search history did this functionality go south on me?

I might have found the answer in a Microsoft Community forum, where other users experienced the same problem. It was suggested that the problem was caused by a recent Windows Update; specifically, KB3194798, which was downloaded to my computer on 12 Oct, about the time my problem began. When some of these users uninstalled this Update, the problem was resolved.

If anyone is interested, here is the Microsoft Forum thread:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... 2c8?page=1

I am not going to uninstall this Update because of the potential security risk involved. I can now live without the Google toolbar. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:29 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thought it was a Windows Update. ;) No surprise there.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:11 am 

I agree with Patty as to not being surprised that an Update broke the Google bar but would expect that it was still actually Google that was the issue. They probably did not follow the guidelines set out by MS as to how an app should be constructed, such apps seldom follow the proper methods.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:11 am 
welcoming committee

Yet no one suggested to me that it might be a Windows Update that caused my problem, lol. :shock:

But I agree that Google was still probably the issue, and I don't think Google will ever be inclined to fix it. I don't think the toolbar is available in Chrome, so why should it work well in IE? Nor will Microsoft be inclined to fix it, since they advocate Bing as a search engine.

I can certainly live without the Google toolbar, and I feel much better knowing the cause of my sudden problem.

BTW, the Google toolbar no longer works well on my Win 7 computer either, probably also due to an Update. So I have uninstalled it there also.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email