Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:34 am 
welcoming committee

Sometimes I will forget to disconnect from a website (e.g., WalMart.com) and it will remain as an IE tab. Previously I could go back hours later, click on the website thumbnail, and pickup right where I left off (although some sites would required that I first click to re-enter my logon data).

Now if I forget to disconnect and go back later, I no longer see the website thumbnail. Instead, I see a thumbnail with the spinning circle inside. Clicking on this thumbnail takes me nowhere.

Is this action part of new Windows security? Am I being punished for leaving a website link open too long; if so, what is the time limit?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have an answer for you, but I wonder if it could be related to your disappearing search history.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Personally, in both cases, I'd suspect the Google toolbar.

Things MAY have changed but my past experience with browser toolbars is that they tend to be badly written and intrusive. The badly written tends to make them resource hogs. The intrusive is that they report back to 'home' everything that you do.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I don't have an answer for you, but I wonder if it could be related to your disappearing search history.

Steve, these are two different histories. One is a list of websites that I have visited (Today, Last Week, etc.), which I can still get to by clicking on the star in upper right corner of IE.

The other history and the one I'm missing is a list of the last 20-30 topics that I searched for using Google. I normally got to this list by clicking the down arrow at the end of the Google search box. Per your other response, I am now looking into my Google account activity to see if I can find the problem. I will finish that activity in the morning when my mind is fresher.

Thanks for your responses.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:46 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Personally, in both cases, I'd suspect the Google toolbar.

Things MAY have changed but my past experience with browser toolbars is that they tend to be badly written and intrusive. The badly written tends to make them resource hogs. The intrusive is that they report back to 'home' everything that you do.

Jay, I have been using the Google toolbar for years with nary a problem, until yesterday. So now instead of doing away with the toolbar, I am trying to figure out what suddenly went wrong and how maybe I can fix it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:34 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I know that you like the Google bar. I'm not trying to tell you to get rid of the thing. LOL! I'm just saying to get rid of it. Just a temp measure. See if the removal stops your issue with pages 'timing out'. If it does re-install and see what happens.

Another thought as to pages timing out is a thing called sessions. To be honest I don't fully understand the danged things but it is sort of like a time limit on your activity on a site. Computer Haven uses sessions but I have the time limit set high enough that it would seldom be seen. Bottom line is that, if a session time limit is reached, you are reset and pages are easily lost.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:29 pm 
Fearless Leader

Did this behavior (and your missing search too, btw) begin with the recent set of Windows Updates?

And btw, I just did the very same thing in Edge. Left this CH window open while I went and watched a TV show with my husband. Came back and the site was still here and I did pick up where I left off. That's Edge, not IE.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:25 am 
welcoming committee

Patty, I can't remember if these two problems started with the recent set of Windows Updates.

However, I have gotten rid of the Google toolbar and found another way to use Google search (thanks Jay) and access my search history, so I consider that problem solved.
http://computerhaven.com/forum/viewtopi ... =19&t=1488

Now I will see if this 'spinning circle' website thumbnail problem goes away.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:03 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, I saw that. Got it on the spinning circle issue. Also keep an eye on it and see if it is all sites that do that, or just specific ones.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:42 am 
welcoming committee

There have been no further web page time outs (spinning circle) since I uninstalled the Google toolbar.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email