Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:
In case you are interested in what happened:
I did as you suggested - I used the Find/Replace function within Note Pad to replace every instance of the \0\ with the numerical string for my account. I then saved this revised file and merged that into the registry.

Possibly the automatic replace of the \0\ could be the culprit??? Steve may correct me on this but I would think that, when working with a registry modification, I would want to manually go through the file in Notepad and make sure that I were only changing the values I REALLY wanted changed.

Jay, I thought about doing it manually, but I bet I have over 100 entries in the list (however many 00000201 computes to). So I was very careful with the find/replace of \0\, and I did randomly spot-check 5 or 6 entries after the replace was done. That said, it's pretty obvious I made a mistake someplace, so I'm anxious for a do-over.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

If you never sign into Windows Live Mail with a Microsoft Account, then you do not want to import a reg file with your numerical account representation from the old PC.
On the Windows Live Mail Toolbar, all the way to the right is an icon that will either show your account if signed in or the old MSN Messenger buddy guy with the words "sign in" underneath. If it has your name, next to your name is a down arrow. One of the options there is Sign Out. Click it.

If the keys in the file all had /0/ in the path, that's the reg file you want to merge to the new PC.

So, to recap:
On the new PC, delete the blocked sender list key under both the 0 branch and the numeric string branches.
Reboot
Open WLM, do not sign in and check that the blocked sender list is empty.
If you do not intend to sign in with your Microsoft Account in WLM:
Open the reg file that contains the complete list of blocked senders for import with the path for the key being:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\PerPassportSettings\0\Junk Mail\Block Senders List]
Verify that the full list is present and that the path for every key is exactly as the above.
Assuming that the path is correct and the list is correct, close the file and proceed with the double click/merge.
Assuming you found a mistake/bad entry for the path, edit, save, then proceed with the merge.
Reboot.
Open WLM without signing into your Microsoft Account (or sign out as above, if automatically signed in). Is the list correct?

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:
In case you are interested in what happened:
I did as you suggested - I used the Find/Replace function within Note Pad to replace every instance of the \0\ with the numerical string for my account. I then saved this revised file and merged that into the registry.

Possibly the automatic replace of the \0\ could be the culprit??? Steve may correct me on this but I would think that, when working with a registry modification, I would want to manually go through the file in Notepad and make sure that I were only changing the values I REALLY wanted changed.

I have to agree that this may be where things went bad. I would not have expected there to be any \0\ bits except those in the path to be replaced with the user number string.

*However* the only reason to have taken this step is if you need to merge the exported \0\ list into a profile that was created due to being signed into WLM. If you are not signing into WLM, then this step was not needed.

And, if you discover that you are signing in, but don't see value in that, you can sign out and change the startup behavior of WLM to *not* sign in automatically when launched.

In either case, assuming that the forum post with the "answer" is valid for how WLM manages the blocked sender list in WLM, the export of the \0\ branch and merge of that key branch to the new PC should have populated the list exactly.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

One more thought...

If all else fails...

I found this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/wlm-blocked-sender-tool

I am familiar with the person who runs this site, but have no experience with the download described in the post. Note that it mentions working on WLM in Windows 7 and the post is from 2011.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:44 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I hope that I'm not complicating things by my comments but another thought.

@ Steve: We want to be logged out of live mail. Bbarry states that he does not log in to Live Mail but he does. Every time Live Mail checks for new messages he is automatically logged in during the process. So what happens even if he logs out? If Live Mail is open while he is doing the export/import and it does a new message search he is now logged in even if he had previously logged out.

@ bbarry: If I reboot my system the first thing I do is to load Live Mail. While you are attempting to do the export/import thing please make sure that Live Mail is not loaded and running.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I hope that I'm not complicating things by my comments but another thought.

@ Steve: We want to be logged out of live mail. Bbarry states that he does not log in to Live Mail but he does. Every time Live Mail checks for new messages he is automatically logged in during the process. So what happens even if he logs out? If Live Mail is open while he is doing the export/import and it does a new message search he is now logged in even if he had previously logged out.

@ bbarry: If I reboot my system the first thing I do is to load Live Mail. While you are attempting to do the export/import thing please make sure that Live Mail is not loaded and running.

Yea Jay, at this point I think the signing into WLM is what is messing me up. I stay signed in, so I'm thinking as a last resort to take Steve's suggestion and sign out of WLM.

But at this point, I am truly confused as to when to sign out and when to sign into WLM during the key merge process. Help.....

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, for some reason one of my postings never made it, so I will try to summarize. Steve, I followed all of your steps (without signing in/out of WLM), but the Block Senders List never got populated in WLM. However, it did get fully populated in the "0" branch; the numeric branch remained empty.

I checked the icon on WLM tool bar, and I am signed in. Maybe I should try signing out and then back in?

BTW, I am familiar with the tool you mentioned; however, he didn't give very good instructions and I was willing to try it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve & Jay, I'm going to call it quits for awhile regarding the Blocked Senders List. Here's where I stand.
- I again deleted the "0" key
- I turned WLM off and repeated the key merge process
- This time I DID get a populated list in WLM; however, it is once again the strange list I got before, and it is not the same as I exported from my old computer.........go figure
- In the process of turning WLM off/on, I noticed that I am running WLM 2012 on my new computer, and WLM 2011 on my old computer......I will upgrade to 2012 on my old computer to see if that makes a difference
- However, I am going to stop this process for a day or two, as tomorrow I am disconnecting both computers so I can do a physical swap in my home office. That is about a 4-hour project that will probably take me 2 days.
- If you can think of anything new I can try after I swap computers and after I upgrade my old computer to WLM 2012, please let me know. Steve, I may even try that tool you referenced.

And needless to say, I sincerely appreciate your help through all of this........

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:54 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:

That's not the same "logged in" in Windows Live Mail, Jay. There's a log-in at the application level vs. the logging in to check mail.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Stepping away from the process for a few days sounds like a plan to me.

The logged in vs. not logged in is most certainly going to be a factor, but the puzzling bit is the strange list you end up after importing.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:51 pm 
Fearless Leader

May I ask what is strange about the "strange list" you see after importation?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:54 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
May I ask what is strange about the "strange list" you see after importation?

It doesn't match the entries that I exported from my old computer, which it should. It took on a life of it's own and included domains like UPS, Artelco (my ISP), and other strange names that I didn't enter. That's all I can tell you right now because my old computer is not back up yet and my new computer won't accept a couple of my hard drives....it may have a USB limitation, and I have a lot of USB devices. I'll work it out, lol.

Don't worry much about my list for now. Steve gave me a couple of ideas I have yet to try.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:08 pm 
Fearless Leader

Unless there are too many to deal with, I would simply edit the registry key manually, deleting those entries you don't want in there. Not by export/import - just right in the registry. You've already got a backup of that registry key.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:13 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Unless there are too many to deal with, I would simply edit the registry key manually, deleting those entries you don't want in there. Not by export/import - just right in the registry. You've already got a backup of that registry key.

Thanks. That's probably worth trying once I again populate my list on my new computer. I deleted all the entries under the "0" key, knowing that I was going to try it all again once I got my two computers moved.

The list is long, but I forgot how to convert. How much is 000001FF in base 10 (that's how many entries I have on my old computer)?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:40 pm 
welcoming committee

In the time it has taken me to try and figure how why I couldn't transfer my blocked senders list from old computer to new computer, a meaningful (and more current) list was populated on my new computer. So I am just going to leave it at that, i.e., I will just use my new list and forget about transferring my old one. Life is just too short, lol.

But thanks to all who tried to help me.........

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like a plan. ;-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email