Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Question about Hotmail
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:21 pm 
welcoming committee

In the past several weeks Microsoft has recreated my two Hotmail email accounts into Outlook/Homail/whatever. Let me state this: I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THIS. Redirection OR destruction and recreation on Internet accounts, this has happened to me before and they usually work for the better.

But now things, and I do mean EVERYTHING, in these email accounts have slowed down horribly. With the original Hotmail commands were basically instant. With this new stuff I wait 10-15 seconds for everything, including the log-on screen and sign-off, and everything in-between. This is pathetic, MS has the money to buy the best programmers. Both Yahoo and Google have changed major things recently but they are still fast. It is entirely possible that I missed something and owe MS an apology, but what is it?
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:32 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry but I can't answer as I don't use web mail but rather the Live Mail client.

I will say that out of my 5 email accounts (Gmail, Hotmail and 3 through my hosting) Hotmail tends to come in the slowest. Yes I still use @Hotmail.com which is antiquated but still works.

I have no idea as to why it seems slower. Who Knows... possibly they use more security levels.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

I'm having a hard time even knowing what you're talking about, Acadia. I have no issues with my old, old MSN account. Are you using it on the web? Are you using an email client? Are ads an issue? Mine is ad free, so that could be something. If on the web, what browser are you using? What browser add-ons? What operating system? All these things can affect your mail performance.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:57 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
I'm having a hard time even knowing what you're talking about, Acadia.

While I cannot say for fact I MUST assume that it is with web mail as a local client should not see any difference.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:40 am 
welcoming committee

It is when I am using Firefox on the Internet on my Win7 system. The website has changed its address to outlook.live.com, I forget what the old address was. I am using my very, very, old original Hotmail that I have had forever, I never requested any change of any kind. The snail-like speed occurs whether or not I have my ad-blocker on or completely disabled. I have very few add-ons on my Firefox, I even keep No-Script completely disabled since I surf inside of Sandboxie on a system protected by ShadowDefender and keeping No-Script turned off definitely makes surfing smoother.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 am 
Fearless Leader

My mail goes to mail.live.com. It always has (since .live came along).

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I just click the outlook.com link on the MSN page and my Hotmail account load right up. Opens quickly mainly due to I keep no mail there, it all gets deleted daily.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:45 pm 
welcoming committee

That's OK folks, I will do more research "out there", thanks.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:43 pm 

Hope you get it sorted out Acadia, my Hotmail and Outlook mail, plus my others goes to Windows Live Mail. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Outlook.com and Hotmail.com will redirect (after login) to {server}.mail.live.com no matter how old or new your account is.
I don't use Firefox, but use IE, Edge, and Chrome and all load the "Hotmail" account page fairly quickly.
Your account may be on a server having issues of some sort, Acadia. Hopefully it will clear on its own.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:14 am 
Fearless Leader

I actually store a ton of stuff on mine, mostly in folders.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. It was almost methodical how it worked. I have two Hotmails accounts, both extremely old, used to store different types of email. First Microsoft took one of them and made it into this "Outlook" thingie. It instantly become excruciatingly slow while the other one remained fast. That was over a month ago. Then just several days ago they grabbed my other Hotmail and the exact same thing happened. I am used to email changes, Yahoo and Google have done it, but they have always remained fast.
Thanks again,
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried accessing it with a different web browser? Since you are observing the behavior on two different accounts, it may be browser related.
There have been previous versions of the interface that didn't play well with specific browsers. I tried to search for any known concerns with Hotmail via Firefox, but nothing recent popped up. The last time there was a spate of reports of slowness via Firefox was in 2009. There may have been other instances reported since, but a search brought back a ton of references to 2009.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:37 am 
Fearless Leader

I guess I'm not understanding the basic issue behind all the slowness. Why did Microsoft grab anything? Steve, do they do this? I've never heard of it. I have an old MSN account that is still MSN and it uses the Hotmail engine as do all of the Microsoft webmail domains. And it is fine.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:03 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Why did Microsoft grab anything? Steve, do they do this? I've never heard of it.

They both changed into Outlook, but about a month apart, and I NEVER requested it.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
I guess I'm not understanding the basic issue behind all the slowness. Why did Microsoft grab anything? Steve, do they do this? I've never heard of it. I have an old MSN account that is still MSN and it uses the Hotmail engine as do all of the Microsoft webmail domains. And it is fine.

The User Interface has been upgraded many times over the years. It will still be an MSN account, Hotmail account, @live account, etc., but the site look and feel for the webmail version has changed repeatedly. There was never any grabbing and the fact is that the change was at the server level for all accounts over time. There would be no asking either, but there have been announcements for the most significant changes.

As for the reason for the slowness, we don't know. Acadia: have you tried accessing these accounts in another web browser as I suggested?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 pm 

@ Steve: I'm pretty sure that I understand but ask for clarification for others... and possibly myself. :)

I use the Live Mail client and have seen zero difference. My understanding is that regardless of the version of the email account you have via MS it will still work in a local client such as Live Mail or Outlook without visible affect. As I still use @Hotmail.com without any real issue via Live Mail I have to assume this as correct.

Where you will see visual affect is if you are using web based email. In this case @Hotmail.com, live.com, etc.. will still be your actual @***.com as to your account but any previous domain will re-direct to the latest version when using web based email. To me this makes sense as it would be a waste of resources by MS to maintain separate email servers for each generation of account domains. As long as each is backwards compatible I don't see an issue. While I have stated that my Hotmail account using Live Mail seems slower this could be due to the fact that it also carries the largest email load.

As to the re-direct it is no different then we do here. The actual address to these forums is http://computerhaven.com/forum/. However, if you just enter http://computerhaven.com , it will hit a little JavaScript routine I wrote that will re-direct to the actual forum address immediately. If it is OK in our case to do this how can we consider it wrong for MS to do exactly the same thing even though their case is on a much larger scale?

As to Acadia's specific issue I have no clue but have to wonder if he might be better off using an email client such as Live Mail or (since he is Mozilla based) Thunderbird... Is Thunderbird still around???

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ah... I get it now, Steve. I thought Acadia was saying that MS changed the domain of his email accounts.

Acadia, to try to troubleshoot this, I would try different browsers, different computers, different setups. Obviously you are the only one of us experiencing this, so I have to think it is something unique to your system.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:23 am 
welcoming committee

Ok, finally tried it with IE, much faster. I read somewhere, in one of the ms forums?, that the Outlook Preview is a work in progress with updates expected soon. Hopefully one of them will make it as fast in Firefox as the old version was.
Thanks everyone,
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:42 am 

I've never bothered with the web versions, like Jay all my mail comes into Windows Live Mail.

I have a Hotmail.com account and an Outlook.com account plus 5 others. I know if I get an email come into Hotmail a copy goes into my Outlook folder as well.

Don't know how fast it would be in Edge haven't tried checking email in that yet.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... Is Thunderbird still around???

Yes it is, and updated fairly regularly as illustrated in the 'Release Notes' page:

Homepage:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird

Release Notes:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/releases/

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:18 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... Is Thunderbird still around???

As Doddie stated, yes it is and still what I use for my email client for my Internet provider's email. I had to go somewhere after MS killed Outlook Express so I got mad and went elsewhere; have been please with Thunderbird ever since. If only MS, Apple, Google, etc. could keep things simple and fluid for the common folk.
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Acadia wrote:
Ok, finally tried it with IE, much faster. I read somewhere, in one of the ms forums?, that the Outlook Preview is a work in progress with updates expected soon. Hopefully one of them will make it as fast in Firefox as the old version was.
Thanks everyone,
Acadia

Thanks for confirming that the issue appears to be limited to Firefox for you with Hotmail. Just to clarify, it isn't Outlook "preview" any longer, which is why you were upgraded to the new interface on your old accounts. It is production. It does get updated regularly, though, so we can hope that a future update addresses performance in Firefox.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, it still says "Preview" for me, on both accounts.
Acadia

Attachments:
outlookpreviewCapture.PNG
outlookpreviewCapture.PNG [ 5.09 KiB | Viewed 24533 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm...
I am apparently out of the loop. It appears that you were upgraded to the new architecture that the Hotmail back end is moving to, which is based on Office 365 that began earlier this year (May) and continues slowly. I can't tell you why they are branding this as a Preview as you have no choice in the upgrade and everyone will be migrated over time.
https://blogs.office.com/2015/05/21/new ... tlook-com/
Your accounts were upgraded with the August expansion:
https://blogs.office.com/2015/08/12/new ... m-preview/

I suggest that you provide feedback about your experience to the Outlook.com/Office 365 team: