Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post subject: Incomplete Network
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:39 pm 
welcoming committee

I am having a Network problem. This ultimately affects my ability to share and also create a Homegroup.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

I power up both computers. They both have working internet access. When I open a file explorer window and look under Network I only see the computer that I'm working on at the moment. The other computer does not appear. One computer is upstairs and one is downstairs. This means if I'm working on the downstairs computer I don't see the upstairs computer. The same if I'm upstairs, I don't see the downstairs computer. What would cause this? How do I fix this? Thanks.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post subject: Re: Incomplete Network
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Double check your settings in Network and Security settings. Use the Change Advanced Sharing Settings link on the left. Might be a check box that got changed during an update.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Pondering if this is related to your other thread about the white box saying "Static", static could be related to your non-functional network... have you updated a network driver or your network software recently?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:23 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I wonder the same thing Doddie...

Funny thing is that I just happened to lose the link to my second system from my main today. In my case I know the cause. My streaming DVR software sets up a server and, once in a while, does not seem to shut down properly. My simple cure is to remove power from both systems completely then re-connect and start. Works every time. Can't say it will help in this case but can't hurt.

I would also probably reset the router even though it is giving internet access on the systems.

Just curious David, are you thinking discovery?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Yep, possible that network discovery was turned off. There was an Insider update not long ago that changed my network from being private to public which changes the discovery options.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
My simple cure is to remove power from both systems completely then re-connect and start. Works every time.

I'm going off-topic here and quite possibly out on a limb at the same time... Jay are you absolutely sure your systems are running, erm, not sure how to put this... correctly?

You seem to have to remove your power "completely" an awful lot, the difference between you and i could simply be the reliability of the UK power grid but I've never seen anyone have the need to pull "all power" as much as you do.

As i type i can't actually remember what those power backup systems are called, all i know is I've never used one and i can't help wondering if they're maybe not as great as you think?

[I did get hit with a power surge thanks to the power company doing some local work in the early 90's that reduced my then Win3.1 to nothing but wingdings but other than I've never seen the point.]

My point is... you really shouldn't have to 'discharge' power in this day and age, that you seem to have to do it a lot (based on my observations of you) suggests you may have introduced a layer of protection that is both unrequired and possibly hindering you.
<Ends tuppenceworth>

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:22 pm 

Not really that often and I know the cause. Sometimes the server for my software streaming DVR does not close properly. The system still runs fine but the server 'steals' quite a bit of my bandwidth. I can go to Task Manager and exit the process but find it easier to just kill the power.

The only other instance does involve my UPS (battery backup). I also know the cause for this. To avoid installing Java I handle the UPS through the system's power settings. This means that Windows thinks that the system is a laptop. Rarely, but once in a while, on a restart Windows will think the battery is low and keep throwing a battery warning. This is a false report and does require total power removal to fix. This is caused by my preference to not install Java and use the real UPS control software.

On an average I would say that I remove power maybe 3 times over a 2 week span. Sometimes mayhaps more depending on how much I use the software DVR. Since I can just kill the DVR server process killing power is a matter of choice rather than need. If I had to un-plug instead of just flipping the switch on the power supply I'd probably just kill the process.

As to the second system I don't recall ever actually having to remove power but do now and then just to reset things. Actually I miss-stated in the quote you posted. I do not have to remove power from the second system if I lose the network connection, only the main system running the DVR software. Again, even then, I could just kill the server process.

In any case both systems are pretty much on 24/7 so I'd do a total power removal once a week or so anyway. That is why I will only buy a power supply that has an on/off switch. With today's systems is it necessary to remove power now and then? Not a clue but I've been doing it since the days of DOS. Call it a habit. ;)

<edit>
BTW, there has been an update for my DVR software that I've been putting off for a while. Who knows, it may get rid of the server process issue. ;) I have the update downloaded but have to wait until a recording is done before I can install.

<edit #2>
Hey, thanks for your thoughts Doddie! After doing the software update for my software DVR (PlayOnTV) I was looking through the settings options. What I found was always there but I forgot about the option. All I have to do is go to settings and turn off the server before exiting the software. This stops the server process. If I just exit the program the server process still remains running.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 pm 
welcoming committee

I see much has been discussed since I started this thread. Also since posting this my computer in the den updated to Win 10 - V1709. This means both computers are running the V1709.

Dvair wrote:
Double check your settings in Network and Security settings. Use the Change Advanced Sharing Settings link on the left. Might be a check box that got changed during an update.
Did that.

doddie wrote:
Pondering if this is related to your other thread about the white box saying "Static", static could be related to your non-functional network... have you updated a network driver or your network software recently?
In the other thread you suggested doing a series of "msconf" boots to eliminate a possible glitchy program. I don't think this is practical because the static box problem happens randomly. To answer your immediate question no I haven't updated any drivers.

Currently, the computer in the basement den which just updated to V1709, shows both computers and all devices in the Network Category of the Explorer Window. I was also able to create a Homegroup. When I go upstairs to the second computer and open an Explorer Window, neither computer shows in the Network Category. I also can't add the the second computer to the Homegroup. I have shut down and rebooted multiple times to no avail. I know I have to be missing a setting but I am just plain worn out at the moment to figure out what it is.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Update to this problem.

I used the "Network Reset" option in the Settings > Network & Internet section. Now the PCs are visible on both machines. I have to adjust some folder share permissions but all is good.

Attachments:
Settings.png
Settings.png [ 64.64 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update. Looks like the "hammer" was a good approach. :-)
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 pm 

sboots wrote:
Thanks for the update. Looks like the "hammer" was a good approach. :-)
-steve

Just remember to never force, just get a bigger hammer. :mrgreen:

To be honest I don't think that I have ever noticed the 'Network Reset' button.

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks