Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Actually the issue is solved but I'm still curious.

My 4 TB media drive was equally partitioned as drives F: and G:. This drive resides on my main system. I shared both F: and G: with my bedroom system so I can stream movies. I followed the exact same procedure in Advanced sharing and F: was fine but I could not get G: to work on my bedroom system. I tried several times as to setting up the share but it just would not click. Any ideas what might cause this? Nothing that follows actually applies to the question.

LOL! My actual solution was to get rid of G:. :mrgreen: Since I'm running Windows 10 on everything there is no reason to have the media drive partitioned. When I setup the media drive I was using Windows 7 on my main system so partitioning was necessary for proper drive performance.

I backed up G: to an external to be safe then used EaseUS Partition Master to merge the partitions with the result being seen as F:. It failed. The failure was probably due to not having enough free space on F: to start. On a 1.82 TB partition I only had ~4.5 GB free. The attempt DID leave both partitions intact with no data loss.

So I just wiped G: and extended F: to use the entire drive. Have about 2 hours to go as to copying everything that I backed up from G:.

Everything works fine on my bedroom system and I intended to eventually lose the G: partition anyway.

As a note to anyone interested that uses a desktop system...
I've mentioned this before in other threads but will again. ;) If you have an open SATA port and a long enough SATA power connecter run both a SATA data and power cable out the back of the case. Connect a bare drive to the cables and you literally have an external that performs just as fast as an internal. LOL! Think about how long it would take to restore the ~1.3 TB of data that was on G: if I used an external USB drive. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:59 pm 

Oh, I should add that before I did my new build both F: and G: worked fine as to access from my second system. Is it possible that it could be that the new UEFI BIOS just sees the drive setup differently than the old?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

I doubt it was the UEFI... If the partitions were visible in Windows and sharing was done from Windows, the ability to access it from the other PC was Windows/network related, nada to do with UEFI.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Oh, I should add that before I did my new build both F: and G: worked fine as to access from my second system. Is it possible that it could be that the new UEFI BIOS just sees the drive setup differently than the old?

I'm quite likely talking through a hole in my head here (and it's not my mouth!) but you might want to, as a very long shot, have a look at the forums for your SSD drive (if they exist?)...

I can't for the life of me think why an SSD drive would impact on a network but I was skirting the Crucial Forums this morning for unrelated information (about my SSD) and if memory serves me right there were reports (age of posts?) of the Crucial SSD software "Crucial Storage Executive" potentially causing (in rare circumstances) network issues... I didn't pay much attention to those threads because it wasn't the information I was looking for... but it may give you a train of thought you hadn't thought of before?

I did however install Crucial's "Storage Executive" a couple of days ago and whilst most of the functions I "could" have possibly enabled weren't available, there was one... "Momentum Cache", it pretty much reeked havoc on my ISP download speeds until I disabled it again... different protocol I know, but...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:31 pm 

Mayhaps I should have left it as F:/G: to experiment. :)

Since merging F:/G: solved any issue I doubt that I'll delve too deeply. ;)

Steve, thanks for the info.

Doddie, the SSD thing actually might make sense as I did have to install specific chipset drivers for the M.2 port to be available. Drive management shows that drive at the bottom of the list. It will allways show last as all 10 SATA ports will show first if in use. Apparently the M.2 port is linked to PCIe, not SATA. I THINK that the motherboard looks at M.2 first but Windows sees it as last.

Anyway, since I no longer have an issue, I'm going to blame gremlins. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
...I'm going to blame gremlins. :mrgreen:

We know who you really are Jay...

FFW to 1:58 :lol:

https://youtu.be/BcWJaHZBEw0

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:00 pm 

:rofl2:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm 

From further playing around I THINK that I could have had the G: media partition working as I have done the following with a couple of drives since...

I'm not sure if I made this totally clear but I don't want to really share files and folders. I want to share entire drives. For instance my data drive has quite a few folders. I would rather share the entire drive instead of setting up individual sharing for each folder. For some reason the only drive that this was working was my f: media drive.

What I did was to open f: then copy the network path which is '\\Jay-PC\f'. Using my data drive as an example I just used the same network path changing the 'f' to 'd'. I now have access to all files and folders contained on the data drive.

I knew that the drives were actually shared as, if I went to save a file, the networked drives would show in the 'browse' dialog as to the save location. So I just created a new shortcut on the desktop and entered '\\Jay-PC\d' as the shortcut's location. It worked just fine. I then dragged the shortcut to the File Explorer icon on my Taskbar and it was then pinned and worked fine as could be. Since the drive is now pinned to File Explorer it also now appears in the 'Quick Access' portion of the left pane in File Explorer.

This works for me as I keep a totally clean desktop without any shortcuts. I pretty much run everything from my Taskbar. If I want to open a folder from my desktop I right click on the Taskbar File Manager icon and select the folder. Since pinned items show in the Quick Access portion of File Explorer here is what that part of File Explorer displays. The references to 'w, d and f' are my video conversion, data and media drives respectively in the image to follow.

A while back I also discovered another trick. Of course I'd like to be able to stream movies from my main system to my bedroom system. Yes, I DO have full access to the 'f' media drive but using just that I would have to search through almost 600 folders to find the proper video. I have an Excel sheet as a video menu where I click on a title and it plays. Since I now have total access to the media drive I just right click on the menu file and send to desktop. Now I pin it to my Taskbar Excel icon. Right click on the Excel icon and select 'Movies' and it all just works. :mrgreen: In the past I had to make a shortcut to the menu file on my main system then copy the shortcut to my documents. On the second system I then had to make a shortcut of the shortcut and pin to Excel. It seems that my current method is much more direct and effective. :)

It is all working fine for me and seems better than sharing each and every folder.

Attachment:
network-drives.PNG
network-drives.PNG [ 20.52 KiB | Viewed 6997 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 am 

Yeppers!!! :) Exactly what I want. I removed all total drive shares and re-did setting permissions to full instead of read only. It is now totally what I want. I can be on any of the three systems and have full access to my main system. I can edit, save, delete, etc. all documents.

Also, for me, the setup as to making all systems current is even better than Sync Toy. For instance, if I want to make my bedroom system current as to Documents, I just copy the Documents folder from my network link to the local Documents in my bedroom. This works in either direction and also with my laptop. Since my One Drive folder is also on my data drive on all three systems I have a total of 3 TB of One Drive storage that I can access and change from any of the three systems.

On either of my secondary systems I can handle files just as if I were on my main system. This is exactly what I wanted and I got it. :) I have tried and can actually launch some programs that are on my main system on a secondary system. Tried and proved but not to any great advantage. Yes, I can go to the installs (c:program files) and set up a share and it works. I can then launch a game that resides on my main system and have it launch on a secondary system. The problem is that the secondary system wants to see it as a new install and will not see saved games or such. This could probably be solved but I don't really see a need in my specific case.

I am a VERY happy camper! :mrgreen:
:dance2: :dance3: :drink9: :tup: :nana1:
:skitty:

Sigh! OK, I was all happy about what I did and all is still great. The thing is that I need help in another aspect. I have made this more than a novice level thread. At what point do I cut it off and make a new thread in advanced. I don't really know where to go. Some times, when you hold back info from a novice, you also hold back their ability to handle their system. I just do not know where to go in this case. Please enlighten me! What I did would be very easy for a novice to duplicate but................

Board index » Technical Forums » Home Networks