Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:15 pm 
welcoming committee

A year or so ago, I used a software program to measure the operating temps of my external hard drives. But now I can't remember the program I used. As best I can determine, CPUID only measures the temps of internal drives.

Can anyone refresh my memory on what program to use for external drives? Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
To be honest I've never used an external drive monitor but here are two that look like they may do what you want. Be careful about the links you click as there are many going to other stuff. For myself I just put my hand on an external if I want to see if it is running hot. Warm is OK, very warm is not. ;)

https://www.techsupportalert.com/conten ... info.htm-0

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/hddscan.htm-0

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:01 am 
welcoming committee

Here's one you don't have to install:

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Make sure you use the download on the lower left says download with a little cloud next to it. I use the zip file one and just extract it and run the program without needing to run an install.

edit - Whoops, read over the external part, not sure if this monitors it or not.

edit 2 - I have an external drive attached through eSATA and it reads the temps.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am 
welcoming committee

Amazing. How can a software program keep tabs on an external hard drive's temp. This technology is advancing too fast for me to keep up. :help3:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Acadia, I would imagine that the software would use the S.M.A.R.T. features of the drive which includes temperature.

<edit>
BTW, S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology. I'm sure that most know this but it is never a bad ides to define terms. It is a utility included in a hard drive that monitors health. This info can be accessed through software. In most current BIOS this info can be accessed when the system is started. Now it isn't going to list all 83 report features but will list each drive with either an OK or failure message. Every time my system starts S.M.A.R.T. lets me know that my drives are OK. This DOES make boot time slightly longer depending on how many drives are being reported. I would imagine that most current hard drive monitors are just accessing this info.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware