Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As indicated in another thread I added a 1500 VA 950 watt Trip-Lite unit to my main system. As to the battery backed outlets I have my main system, HDTV, cable modem, router and phone connected. At a guess I believe this will give me 20-25 minutes run time on battery.

The issue I saw was that the Trip-Lite software to control how things went, such as when to shut down the system, relied on having Java installed. Now I don't really mind Java all that much but decided, since these forums in general advise against, that I would find a way to accomplish the same thing without Java.

So I start out with the UPS connected to my main system via USB so they can 'talk' but without the Trip-Lite software installed. Constant alerts from Windows 10 resulted concerning recommended settings changes to better use the battery. With the UPS connected via USB Windows 10 now thinks that my main desktop system is a laptop. I would get alerts such as I should change to the power saving power plan to conserve the battery. Another would be that I should enable sleep mode. Also, if I did a restart instead of a cold boot, I would get an alert that the battery level was very low even though the battery was at 100%. My guess is that the alert was triggered before the UPS drivers were active.

OK, enough history. Here is what I did. LOL! Yes, I AM persistent! :mrgreen:

I did what Windows 10 wanted and set my power plan to power saver and turned on sleep mode. Then I went about fooling Windows...

1) Since I refuse to actually use sleep mode I set it to 3 hours. Since the battery life should be 20-25 minutes sleep will never actually happen. As a note on this I don't under stand why sleep mode was wanted instead of hibernate. Sleep mode still requires some power.

2) I set the power saver settings to match my normal power settings except for the battery settings.

3) I set the critical battery action to shutdown the system with the critical battery level set to 10%.

My system performance is unaffected, the system should shut down if the UPS battery level reaches 10% and I avoided installing Java. I DO have a battery icon in the Notification area which I could hide but will leave. After all it does give me an on-screen indication of the UPS health.

I am happy with the results. :)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:09 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Oh, as an add-on, I would think that my solution would work with any USB connected battery backup unit but cannot prove. Even if your UPS software does not require Java my solution would remove a background app from using system resources.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware